The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Owner of a Much Loved '63 88

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2012, 09:03 AM

New Owner of a Much Loved '63 88

Glad to be a new owner of a long-loved 63 Olds Dynamic 88 Holiday. The car has 176K miles, engine and transmission rebuilt 32K miles ago.

This car has been a daily driver and well cared for almost 50 years. I have a huge binder that starts with the order from and goes all the way to last service that the original owner paid for in 2005. The car was repainted in 91 and whenever something needed to be addressed if was always professional repaired.

The interior is original and in quite good condition, the doesn’t have too many options but it does have A/C.

The old man gave the car to his grandson who sold it to the guy that sold it to me.

I'll get more pics up but here's what I have for now.

My wife and three boys love the car, we had fun up at a car show over the weekend. I have been driving it to work every day since I got it. I'll start threads in the appropriate forums but I do need some help with the follow items:

The blower motor was replaced with a lower RPM motor that doesn't blow enough air, someone tried to weld the squirrel cage blower fan to the motor shaft with some poor results. I'm having a really hard time locating the correct A/C blower fan and motor.

The engine is losing a good amount of oil through the breather cap/filter. I bought a new breather filter and it was saturated with oil after a couple days of driving. My clean engine bay needs to be cleaned often to wipe off the oil. I don’t know if there is a PCV issue or what.

The rear passenger parking brake starts dragging with the brakes get hot. I took off the wheel/drum and the brake shoes aren't coming back together nicely. It seemed like the parking brake wasn't releasing 100%. The cylinder didn’t seem to want to retract 100% either. I hate drum brakes.

The transmission pump seal is leaking, I'll need to pull the transmission if I can relocate a pump rebuild kit for the Slim Jim Hydramatic.

Any help or comments would be very much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2012-09-04 18.25.40.jpg (74.0 KB, 13 views)