The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New old olds...

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2009, 09:33 AM

New old olds...

Hello all, I just picked up a '67 Cutlass Supreme moredoor last friday and stumbled upon this place while doing some research. I originally bought the car mostly for my wife to drive to replace the family ford focus because my wife and I are both sick of driving soulless hunks of plastic. However, driving the car home from Sooke (southwest Vancouver Island) to the mainland where I live gave me plenty of time to bond with this car. Even with all the work it needs it's a wonderful car to drive and I quickly fell in love with it.

I also have a 1967 Chevy Biscayne that's pushing close to 380 horsepower. Well, I guess I'm just not ready to say I had a '67 chevy yet, it was stolen a few weeks ago and I'm still hoping I'll find it...

Anyway, I'm a terrible mechanic and I forget stuff as fast as I learn it but as long as I have a manual or some form of instruction to go by I still try and do things myself. I've been lurking a little and it seems like this is a great place for info and resources so I'm looking forward to learning lots from you guys as I get to tackling all the little things she needs.

It even came with a 1967 plate,

Old July 29th, 2009, 10:13 AM
ya'll come back now....

nice looking car... you came the right place no doubt....these guys and GIRLS will help you out alot... sorry about the car...but most guys around dont take to the c***y word....haha.... and again welcome the site and good luck and your new olds
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Sweet ride. Glad you found us and decided to join in on the fun.
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Welcome to CO

More doors are fine with us. You are saving another part of Olds History. You will find lots of great help here.
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the welcome! And Danielle, I tend to use "you guys" in the broadest sense, meaning everyone on the forum. I'd never leave out the ladies

Now if I could only get this damn thing aircared...
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Captain of my ship

Welcome

guess you could just use that old southern expression Y'all. What part of the mainland are you at? I have 2 brother's and a sister in the Courtnay area on the island.I live on the opposite coast where we are setting records for rain , and you all are setting records for heat. Weird cause we normally are hot and dry in the valley this time of year.
Old July 30th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. You may find yourself liking that Olds more than you did your Chevy. Next thing you know, you will be looking to replace it (but honestly hope you find it even though it is not an Oldsmobile) with a 64 two door for yourself.
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:47 AM

Welcome to the site, nice looking car! There's a few of us with "more doors", here's my daily driver.
P1010846-1.jpg

John
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:20 AM

I love that colour 2blu, I'm a huge fan of all the 60's gm blue's and aqua's.

Yes I am loving this car so far, even with the work it needs it drives great and I can really see the potential. I live in White Rock, on the southwest coast of the mainland. It's kind of a bay so when I go to the beach I'm looking straight across at Blaine, Washington. Everyone goes to the beach on July 4th to watch the fireworks in the U.S. lol.

The heat is ridiculous! The car is not loving it either. We have to have our cars aircared (smog tested) here and by the time I got the poor, hot olds in the building it was running like a very different car and failed. Because it's on a permit I took it to a shop so they could set it up on their four gas analyzer, but I really don't like the way they set it up. I'll try again first thing this morning and see what happens but no matter what I'll be setting it back up the way it should be after. Now I'd better use the search feature for timing specs and carb tuning
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Captain of my ship

Addative

I have seen an addative at canadian Tire that you add to the fuel and it's guarenteed to pass emission tests. You might want to check that out if it won't pass.
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Welcome. That is an awsome car.
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:57 AM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by wolfman98
I have seen an addative at canadian Tire that you add to the fuel and it's guarenteed to pass emission tests. You might want to check that out if it won't pass.
Yeah there's a few things like that on the market, the best thing is plain old methyl hydrate which can be somewhat effective if your car is maybe just a little over on CO etc. These things usually tend to make the car run a little lean though, so if that's already part of the problem it won't help. I know the carb needs a rebuild but I was hoping I could get it through for now so I didn't have to get to it right away. That's starting to look like wishful thinking, lol.
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:22 AM
ya'll come back now....

Originally Posted by hexadox
Thanks for the welcome! And Danielle, I tend to use "you guys" in the broadest sense, meaning everyone on the forum. I'd never leave out the ladies

THANK YOU.....i was just joking
Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:23 PM

Well, finally got her aircared and insured for the year. Now I can slowly start tackling the long list of other stuff she needs
Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:47 PM

Welcome from South Carolina! Great people here...'pay it forward' is the over-riding feeling I get in my short time here. wazoo
Old August 3rd, 2009, 04:52 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by hexadox
Well, finally got her aircared and insured for the year. Now I can slowly start tackling the long list of other stuff she needs
I guess that means you got it passed? Must be so if it is now insured , so what else needs to be done to her. This site is a great place to get info on the car as well as leads on any parts you may need.next time you are at the beach point yourself over to the island and say "HEY!" to my sister and 2 brothers will ya
Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the welcome wazoo.

Wolfman, yep she passed with pretty decent readings. I think the extreme heat caused her to fail the first time I went through. It was brutal that day and by the time I got in the building I could tell she wasn't herself. Oh and I was just on the Island, actually that's where I got this car from! I love it there and hope to get over there permanently one of these days.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:18 AM

As far as what the car needs, well; she needs new springs and shocks, and a new centre link. My brother actually has a few suspension goodies for me from some of his cars from days gone by. He's owned a lot of old muscle cars and I think his favourites were the oldsmobile's, he's very happy with me for buying this car, lol.

It also needs a hole in the trunk floor patched. That is the only serious rot on the car, the rest is just bubbling here and there. There is apparently a windshield leak but I haven't water tested the car yet. The carpet is musty from it but the carpet needs replacing anyway. I'm going to pull the windshield and backglass, clean them and the pinchwelds up and re-install them. It looks to me like whoever installed the windshield in the past might have shifted it or moved it around funny. There is a ton of urethane ooze at the bottom and sides but at the top it looks like someone went in there after the fact with a different type of urethane to try and patch a thin spot. I just hope it's not so bad that I crack it trying to pull it out I'm also a little worried about the condition of the pinchweld. It's also going to need new weatherstripping and run channels, etc.

It sounds like there is a bit of a leak at the exhaust manifold so I'll replace the gaskets. That makes me a little nervous though, I know of too many people who've sheared off rusty header/manifold bolts and then had to deal with that nightmare. Keep in mind, I'm no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination.

The brakes seem a little weak and the rears make a bit of noise. I'm trying to sort out what the best and cheapest front disc conversion would be, I keep seeing kits advertised for over $500 but didn't the supreme's have front discs as an option in '67?

Aside from that just a lot of little things that I'll slowly get to. New parcel shelf, new front armrest pads, and the seats have a few tears in them.

I'd like to clean up and repaint the black area behind the headlights as well as the grey area under them and behind the bumper. I'm thinking of just painting that black too. I'd like new headlight bezels as well but those are $200 so I'll just repaint the inside black portion for now. Eventually the little bubbling areas will need to be addressed and the whole car will be painted but that is a while down the road.

Stuff I'd like to do includes a new intake and four barrell carb, and a stereo. I love music but I never have working radio's in my old cars, it's always the last thing that get's my attention, lol.

Sorry for the long post, but you asked
Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:58 AM

As far as what the car needs, well; she needs new springs and shocks, and a new centre link.
You can get springs, shocks, and suspension components from Kanter or Fusicks. However, why do you need a new centerlink? It is a non wear item and shouldn't need replacing unless it is bent.

The carpet is musty from it but the carpet needs replacing anyway.
Are you sure your heater core isn't leaking?

I know of too many people who've sheared off rusty header/manifold bolts and then had to deal with that nightmare.
Buy a can of PB Blaster and spray the bolts each night for about a week. You can buy this stuff at your local auto parts store. It is great!
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:13 AM

There's some play there and I'd read and heard from a few sources that there was a flaw in the design for these cars that puts uneven load on them. Also I had the car at a very reputable alignment shop that I've dealt with several times in the past and they confirmed it for me.

I haven't done a leak check on the car yet, I'm waiting for my wife to return from vacation so she can hose it down while I crawl around inside. The guy I bought it off of told me the windshield leaked and I used to do autoglass so I can see that it's a less than stellar install. I hope it's not the heater core...

Thanks for the tip on the PB Blaster! I'll go get some when I get the gaskets and I think I'll buy all new bolts as well.

As far as suspension I'm thinking about ordering from Jamco. I wouldn't mind getting the car low and I've heard that even with Jamco's lowest coils they still have a very good ride. They don't show a full kit for my car on their website, only the coils, so I sent them a message to enquire. I was going to spend good money on kyb shocks locally, but Jamco supplies bilsteins with some of their kits and if I can get those for similar money I will.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:39 PM
Getting There

Welcome aboard Hexadox.....
Was thinking of looking at that car awhile back
I had talked to the owner and it sounded like a solid car
but still have my mind set on a 66

If you ever need anything give me a shout I`m just across the pond in Parksville and I have a few spare part`s for 67`s as well
Old August 4th, 2009, 12:16 AM

Thanks Ranzan, I'll make sure I check with you as I need stuff. Going on a trip to the Island and coming back with parts sounds like a good time to me
Old August 4th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Captain of my ship

Exhaust

If you are going to take off the exhaust manifolds you need to unbolt the exhaust pipes but they are more accessable and I had no problem with them . The manifold bolts were a different story and had to cut the heads off a couple of them to get the manifolds off. I had them planed and since the block was good I just cleaned up and hand sanded. The shop where I took them to get planed is a well known engine builder on the east coast and he said if the block is good and the manifolds were now good then don't use gaskets , why? , he told me that it would stay cooler than if I used gaskets so I used Permatex Ultra Gold and bolted back on with new bolts , no gaskets. I kept a photo record of what i hjave been doing to it it's at http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfman98/ Right now I am waiting for a new rad then I should be able to restart it. (hopefully)
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Wow Wolfman, I just checked out your flickr photos, that is a lot of work!
So it's supposed to be cooler without the gaskets? That's got my interest but I'm also starting to get nervous about doing the job now, lol. I'd be doing this in the back parking lot of my apartment building with my meager supply of tools and I can't have a lot of downtime because I actually need to use the car quite a bit over the next little while.