The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New from Ohio

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2015, 06:51 AM
JPT

New from Ohio

Greetings all,
Brand new to the forum and to Oldsmobile's, not new to cars and have completed a previous 1972 Buick Skylark for myself, as well as assisted a close friends frame off restoration with his big block 4 speed 1972 Buick Skylark. Unfortunately I had to sell my Buick, but luck would have it I had enough left over to start again. Some details about my new project..

1968 Cutlass "S" post
250 L6
EDIT: Jetaway
Sapphire Blue if I researched my paint code correctly
Buckets with no console
no a/c, radio delete (have to reinstall panel)
4 wheel power drum
Assembled in Canada
And receipts from the first owner from 1968-2009.

The car started going down the path of "Joe Dirt" and was fitted with a stinkbug style stance, wheels too wide for the car, large speakers in the trunk and crazy looking medieval style pedal covers.. Rust is present in common areas but not enough to scare me away for the price, luckily the floors, roof, post, hood, glass, and frame are fantastic. Plans for the restoration is disassemble everything (frame off) clean, and refurbish to return everything back to stock with the exception of a manual transmission and front disk brakes. I may have a little fun with the straight 6 as well, nothing in the way of crazy power adders but I have always been curious what a few bolt ons and some proper planning can achieve. My goal is not for anything record breaking.. just a nice clean car to enjoy.

Pictures to follow soon!
Justin

Last edited by JPT; November 24th, 2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, looking forward to your pics.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 08:14 AM
Mr. Johnson

Welcome from Massillon Ohio
Old September 23rd, 2015, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by JPT
250 L6
Very unusual, I would think.

Originally Posted by JPT
Powerglide
Actually, Powerglide is a Chevy term for their two-speed automatic. Olds called its two-speed "Jetaway" (Buick called their version, which was the same as Olds, the "Super Turbine 300", while Pontiac, which also used it, called it simply "Automatic"), and the two transmissions have nothing in common in terms of parts.

True Oldsmobile people cringe when they hear any part of an Oldsmobile referred to by a Chevy name.

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Super_Turbine_300
Old September 23rd, 2015, 09:21 AM
JPT

Thanks for the welcome fellas!

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Very unusual, I would think.

Should it be something else? That was just what I found with some googlin.

Actually, Powerglide is a Chevy term for their two-speed automatic. Olds called its two-speed "Jetaway" (Buick called their version, which was the same as Olds, the "Super Turbine 300", while Pontiac, which also used it, called it simply "Automatic"), and the two transmissions have nothing in common in terms of parts.

True Oldsmobile people cringe when they hear any part of an Oldsmobile referred to by a Chevy name.

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Super_Turbine_300
Thanks for the heads up, I had no clue about that. Learning has occurred haha.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by JPT
Should it be something else? That was just what I found with some googlin.
No. The 250 cubic-inch "Actionline 6" L6 was offered as the base engine in the "F-85 Six" and "Cutlass Six" lines that year. But production of these vehicles was not very high compared to the V-8 lines, so what I was saying is that it was unusual to find one of those cars new and even more unusual to find one today. I'm guessing that a certain fraction of L-6 Cutlasses to survive to today have had their engines replaced with V-8s. But the full line of body styles, including convertibles, was offered in the Cutlass Six line.

But what do you mean when you say you were googling? Do you not know for sure what the engine is? Have you not seen the car?
Old September 23rd, 2015, 09:43 AM
JPT

No. The 250 cubic-inch "Actionline 6" L6 was offered as the base engine in the "F-85 Six" and "Cutlass Six" lines that year. But production of these vehicles was not very high compared to the V-8 lines, so what I was saying is that it was unusual to find one of those cars new and even more unusual to find one today. I'm guessing that a certain fraction of L-6 Cutlasses to survive to today have had their engines replaced with V-8s. But the full line of body styles, including convertibles, was offered in the Cutlass Six line.

But what do you mean when you say you were googling? Do you not know for sure what the engine is? Have you not seen the car?
Understood, I had read that these were a bit of a rare bird. Honestly I think it is a very neat car and the fact that it is a factory 6 really appealed to me. In a sea of V8s at a car show it is nice to be different.

By googling I meant that I have been trying to find what information I could on the vehicle from the VIN. The internet is a great tool, but I would be greatly appreciative if anyone can correct my internet findings with facts. The car is in my possession and in the garage at this time, not a "wishful" project.

Phone is being funny with the pictures.. this evening on the home computer I can get some photos up and see what you all think.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 09:46 AM

Welcome to oldsmobile life

Welcome to Classic Olds Forums from Medina Ohio. Where are you located?
Rookie olds guy72
Old September 23rd, 2015, 09:50 AM
JPT

Originally Posted by rookieoldsguy72
Welcome to Classic Olds Forums from Medina Ohio. Where are you located?
Rookie olds guy72
Thanks! I'm on the north east side of Dayton.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 09:52 AM

What is the VIN? Keep in mind that VINs in those days, except for the assembly plant, didn't tell you much more than you can tell just by looking at the car.

Also, post a clear photo of the cowl tag, which is a credit card-sized plate under the hood attached to the firewall on the driver's side. It will have code numbers and so forth on it that will give a little more information about what options the car had when it left the factory.

Last edited by jaunty75; September 23rd, 2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 12:11 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome to CO. I would Love to see someone turn up the heat on an Action Line 6. Dare to be different, good luck with her and I am also looking forward
to the pics.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 02:20 PM
JPT

What is the VIN? Keep in mind that VINs in those days, except for the assembly plant, didn't tell you much more than you can tell just by looking at the car.

Also, post a clear photo of the cowl tag, which is a credit card-sized plate under the hood attached to the firewall on the driver's side. It will have code numbers and so forth on it that will give a little more information about what options the car had when it left the factory.
Best picture I could get of the cowl tag with the phone, VIN is..

And some pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image3.JPG (104.1 KB, 40 views)
image1.JPG (102.5 KB, 40 views)
image2.JPG (60.7 KB, 40 views)
image4.JPG (131.9 KB, 43 views)
image5.JPG (78.7 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by JPT; September 23rd, 2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 02:38 PM
JPT

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Welcome to CO. I would Love to see someone turn up the heat on an Action Line 6. Dare to be different, good luck with her and I am also looking forward
to the pics.
Thanks for the welcome! I hope the 6 goes as planned, I would be very content if I could have a peppy and highway friendly motor. Here is my last car and my buddies that him and I built. Mine is the closer, lighter green of the 2.
Attached Images
image6.JPG (108.1 KB, 33 views)
Old September 23rd, 2015, 03:00 PM
Old School Olds

Cool. Is that a Sport Wagon on the end?
Old September 23rd, 2015, 03:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by JPT
Best picture I could get of the cowl tag with the phone, VIN is..

3 = Oldsmobile
35 = Cutlass L6
77 = Sport Coupe
8 = 1968 model year
1 = Oshawa, Canada assembly plant
117843 = sequential build number

What rear axle does this car have? It should be a Chevy axle, not a Type O.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 05:48 PM

The cowl tag info, if my source is correct, has 943 = blue interior and the D D paint code indicating sapphire blue upper and lower body color. But you knew all this by looking at the car!
Old September 23rd, 2015, 07:31 PM
JPT

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Cool. Is that a Sport Wagon on the end?
Sure is, and a very, very well built one.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
3 = Oldsmobile
35 = Cutlass L6
77 = Sport Coupe
8 = 1968 model year
1 = Oshawa, Canada assembly plant
117843 = sequential build number

What rear axle does this car have? It should be a Chevy axle, not a Type O.
Thanks for the info! The rear axle is coated in grease and I could not read the code on quick glance but I snapped a picture.

But you knew all this by looking at the car!
Very true! But since the car has changed hands a few times and lived a long life, I enjoy making sure what I am seeing is actually supposed to be that way haha
Attached Images
image.jpg (1.59 MB, 24 views)

Last edited by JPT; September 23rd, 2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 06:49 PM
JPT

Quick question on production numbers for this particular vehicle.. have used the search function and so far have not come up with a clear answer.

Given the information with the cowl tag and VIN of the car, and using this link..
http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/d...arID=15360&i=2

Is it safe to believe there were 1,181 built in Canada and the US that year? Or is that link even an accurate source given it was built out of the continental US and it does not include foreign numbers? Or am I looking at the wrong number entirely..

Another question.. Mine has the plastic inner fender wells, was this a common thing?

The reason behind my questioning is to only provide an accurate history of the car, curiosity has gotten the better of me.

Last edited by JPT; October 23rd, 2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 08:14 PM

Thats a very cool car, good luck with the build. I love the 6 cyl, should be a sweet driver. I also love the Buicks, I hope to have a GS some day.

Steve
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:05 AM
JPT

Originally Posted by steverw
Thats a very cool car, good luck with the build. I love the 6 cyl, should be a sweet driver. I also love the Buicks, I hope to have a GS some day.

Steve
Thanks Steve, I am looking forward to the build and hoping I can turn this poor thing around. My friends and lady affectionately refer to the car as "the bruised blue bastard".

On an unfortunate note, my 'rust free' frame has two pretty sizable holes on both sides where the steering box mounts. Peeking inside that area showed it is also pretty sad and flaking rust was heavily forming on the walls. As luck would have it, a neighbor of a good friend was parting out a 69 so I was able to score another frame, full disk brake setup, and a donor fender that I can salvage the heel and brace from. The newly acquired frame appears to be in great shape and little surface rust, but then again I have been wrong before.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:10 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

My D88 supposedly spent some time in a transportation museum around Zanesville back in the 80s. Still trying to track down that part of it's life. Familiar with any place like that? Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Old October 23rd, 2015, 08:39 AM
JPT

Originally Posted by btw
My D88 supposedly spent some time in a transportation museum around Zanesville back in the 80s. Still trying to track down that part of it's life. Familiar with any place like that? Oh, and welcome to the forum!
I have heard of Zanesville but I am unaware of a museum there, sure sounds like a neat history.

Thank you for the welcome!
Old October 23rd, 2015, 01:40 PM

Oh Man!!!! What a cool find!
I love it!
Old October 23rd, 2015, 02:09 PM
JPT

Originally Posted by Olds442redberet
Oh Man!!!! What a cool find!
I love it!
Thanks! I've been a bit busy lately, I'll start a build thread when it's time and I gather some momentum. But for now I am still gathering parts and taking it slow. The one thing you can't see in the photo is the interior is all gutted and the smell of rat droppings are no longer present.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (1.39 MB, 18 views)

Last edited by JPT; October 23rd, 2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old October 26th, 2015, 07:04 AM

Looks like a great project and you are moving right along!