The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New member, long-time Olds family

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Rook

New member, long-time Olds family

Hi everyone,

Looking forward to tapping the knowledge of the board, had good luck learning from them in the past on various topics. Getting ever more pumped about rejoining the classic Olds family--learned to drive on a '70 F-85 coupe, St. Louis Blues Special, which was my parents 1st new car. She hung around until I was cutting my teeth on the streets and treated me well. I hope she's still out there somewhere, despite some rust issues, she was in good shape otherwise.

Really getting the itch to restore a '70 Cutlass convertible as a weekend cruiser and kick its younger brother, my Alero, who's also been good to me, out of the garage the rest of the time. Welcome feedback about what I am looking for--too specific or whatever, been prowling occasionally over the years but would like to finally start this hobby instead of kicking the tires. Not looking for an already restored show-car, but not sure about starting with a rust bucket either, prefer in between with a good body and decent mechanicals and needing some TLC on the things I can learn to do myself while I figure out who can help me with the tougher stuff. Definitely looking to put sweat equity into this project, but want to do it right so I don't have to do it again one day. Intending to keep the right car quite awhile.

I would love to find an SX car with the Y-79 and W-32 packages, and would like a white interior and top. I actually prefer the split bench with fold-down armrest and column shift, although I understand the buckets are more popular. Like cruise and tilt, and do want PS, PB, PW, PL and air. I'm intending to add the appropriate shoulder-harnesses, but if the car had them originally, all the better. Otherwise, looking to make it show-worthy, although I don't care much if it ever won anything.

If anyone knows of such a vehicle or someone weary of their restoration effort and would like to find it a good home, PM me. I also would love to hear about some books/websites/videos that would help me bone up on evaluating a car and helping me along with a blueprint to a quality resto.

Thanks much!

Firebrand
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:50 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Welcome aboard, I hope you find the bird you seek.

Scot
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:44 AM

Welcome aboard

X2 Good luck with your search.
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:26 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO, patience will serve you well and before you know it you will find the right car.