The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Member: 72 Cutlass Supreme Conv

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2011, 10:58 AM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

New Member: 72 Cutlass Supreme Conv

Hi everybody, I've owned my 72 for 15 years now. I bought it from the original owner who is a retired AF Col in Hawaii. It was the first car I ever bought by myself. I've put about 50,000 miles on it an done a lot of maintenance in that time, both planned and out of necessity. It has served as a daily driver more than a few times in the years that I've had it. Which actually is why I've jumped on this forum. For the last 7 years I've been living abroad and driving a string of new Corvettes. But I got my orders to come back to the states (DC area) and while the Vette is literally on a slow boat from China, I once again need to rely on old Mango to be my daily mule. He's been stored in Ohio for the last 7 years and I'm gonna need to do some quick work to get him road worth again. I'll post up in the appropriate boards,because I am sure to need advice and help from this community. But to give you an idea: I'm replacing the stock single exhaust that has rusted out in several places with a dual setup of Sanderson shorty headers and a Pypes x-pipe exhaust. I'm also going to replace the stock no-shroud, non-clutch mechanical fan with a clutch driven one. The car has a nasty habit of overheating in red light traffic so I need to improve flow to/through the rad. I thought about a dual electric setup, but frankly I don't think it fits his personality, and I love the deep wooshy sound when the fan clutch kicks on. And of course a tune (which I'll need help with). I will say this, in the few days that I've been lurking on the forum, it is a real nice treat to come back down to earth after spending the last several years as a denizen of the Corvette boards. Carburetors for $150, engine blocks for $100, ENGLISH MEASUREMENT TOOLS - heaven!!!! Glad to be the newest member of the community! - Mark
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO Mark. I think the clutch operated fan with a shroud is a great idea.
Old August 18th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site, and welcome home, Mark! Mango..... I like that, lol! Nothing like driving an Olds is there? I love driving my car! What part of Ohio is he in?
Old August 18th, 2011, 06:26 AM

Welcome to CO, Mark! Welcome back to the Olds fold, also!!!!
Old August 18th, 2011, 06:31 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Welcome to the CO, we like pics. Gotta love the '72 A-body.
Old August 18th, 2011, 06:40 AM

Welcome to CO and welcome home.
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:01 AM

Welcome back good to have you here.
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:54 AM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm actually really excited about being back home and spending some time (and money) on the Olds. It's currently in Cincinnati. I arrive home on the 28th. I'm bringing my fly-away tool box with me in checked luggage on the plane so that I can get started wrenching as soon as I get to Cincy. Hopefully all the parts I just ordered will be waiting for me when I get there (and they are all the right ones!) I plan on driving the Cutlass to Baltimore on 01 Sep to go see the Baltimore Grand Prix - which should be very cool. I'll be posting questions on the R&R board in the next few days and appreciate any and all input. Thanks again for the nice welcome home!
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:27 AM

Welcome, and keep us posted.
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:38 AM

That is odd, about your fan. My '72 Cutlass Supreme convertible came with both a shroud and a clutch fan. I've had mine for 29 years, and got it when it only had about 46,000 miles on it, so I'm pretty sure it was all original.

I'm about to put a Lincoln Mark VIII shrouded electric fan on mine. If you were in the area, I'd make you an offer on my take offs :-)

Good luck with it,
Lee
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:15 PM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

Yeah, I have often wondered what happened to the shroud. Thanks for the offer Lee. About 10 years ago I replaced the 3-core rad with a 4-core one, but I don't recall what make. I'm just hoping the new shroud fits on the rad that's in there.