The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Kid on the old block

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2012, 08:18 PM

New Kid on the old block

Wanted to greet all of you, as this is my first thread. ironically i'm almost at the finish line with this old car as i type this message. The story started in 1974 when i pulled the old girl out of a farmers grove. She is a 1948 78 series Dynamic. As i was a junior in high school i worked my butt off to get her running, new brakes, a used carb and some electrical work. I spent another year on and off tinkering. Found a buddy to help blast and paint her black, another buddy helped with a $300 upholstery job. The bigger issue was the hydramatic which needed a rebuild. I found a retired fellow who worked at the Olds dealer in Willmar MN who just happened to have one of every part needed to rebuild the tranny. $Another $300 and i was able to pull everything together and put her on the road the same day as my girlfriend's (now my wife of 34 yrs) senior prom. i put 140 miles on the car that night without as much as one little problem. We drove the car a few times each year for the next seven years and then when kids came along i parked her in the barn for 20 years. fast forward to 2005. started over and updated electrical, brakes to dual master, redid body work, new darkened glass, chromed bumpers, and new paint. We have driven the car another 3000 miles without as much as one issue. The 257 straight 8 is running perfect with the hydramatic behind performing flawlessly. The past 2 months i moved forward with all the remaining chrome, painted all window bezels, repainted jams, wood-grained the dash and with the help of 300 sq ft of free fine Cadillac leather reupholstered the entire car. It's been a journey but the car has a lot of history, not to mention sentimental value for my wife and i. even used it last november to chaufer my youngest and his new wife at their wedding. I hope to share with any of you as much help as i can and appreciate being a part of this forum. i hope some of you enjoy some of my photos attached. For a better look follow this link http://www.motortopia.com/cars/1948-oldsmobile-78-6249 Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00781.jpg (94.2 KB, 18 views)
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:31 PM

Welcome to the forum! Cool story!
Old February 10th, 2012, 06:40 AM

Wow , car looks good. Welcome.
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Cruizin

great story, killer ride!!
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:58 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking ride and thanks for sharing the story.
Old February 13th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Now that's dedication and passion. Kind of got confused a little though. In the album (awesome BTW), there's a young kid and girlfriend. Can I assume that's your boy? The shot where it's labeled as the 'goofy dad' is you? Looks like you'd be around my age. Us old farts gotta stick together.....

Who redid the steering wheel - it looks mint!

Although I love what the car is and appreciate the time, labor of love, and money you've dropped into it? IMO the wheels kind of make it look like a PT Cruiser on steroids. Prolly just me. No offence intended. I think it would look killer with these:
Old February 14th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!
Old February 14th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Welcome - nice ride!