The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to here,,,,

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2010, 08:32 AM

New to here,,,,

Hello everyone, finally decided to join after sometime of reading.
Have a general "moral" question on my oldsmobile, looking for input from users as
just to rest my mind abit

Current Project is a 1970 Olds Cutlass, notchback (what I call her anyways.)
Dug her out of a junkyard, shewww, 8 years ago now. (225 spankies, I couldn't say no).
Bought a 455 (no intake) laying in a gents backyard few months later(keep this in your mind).
Rebuilt front end, brakes etc etc etc to get her mechanically sound as far as driving & stopping.
Tore motor apart, was locked up badly, beat pistons out of their respective holes, this was quickly making me wish I hadn't bought the $100 455 due to the obvious enormous work that would soon dictate my wallet for the next year.
Anyways, after much work, and dollars. I rebuilt the motor, had to bore her .080 over to save the block.
New hardened valve seats, new valves, completely changed it over to adjustable valve train with screw in studs/guide plates etc. Pretty much let her sit for 6+ years and now that the child that put me on hold with it is older, I have decided to continue on.
Well, after some reading in the here and now, it has come to my attention I have rebuilt myself what looks to be a 1970 W30 455, 4-speed motor.
She had F heads on it, and the tell tale clutch ball still screwed into the side of the block.
My "problem" I guess, is I don't have the right car for this motor, it runs great and stuff, but I am truly looking at it in a sense of I wanted dependable horsepower, which I am getting, but not so much worrying about #s matching in my car. My question is, should I go ahead and put the complete motor up for sale, and hopefully, get enough to build another 455/425 motor to meet my needs, so that someone who truly needs my motor for their original car/show car can have a great running engine without having to rebuild or any of that crap, just bolt in and go?
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:33 AM

I would keep what you have...chances are you aren't gonna find the numbers matching original motor. I mean, you have a powerful, solid 455!! You already put your time and money into it. Unless you think you can sell it and make money after buying your new drivetrain. But i would keep it and move on to your next order of business!!
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:37 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO! I would keep the motor you have in the car unless you specifically know of a person that wants it more than you do.
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:11 AM

Welcome

X 2 ya got ourself a real sleeper
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:27 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! Do you have any pics??
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:36 PM

Talking Welcome to CO

Keep what you have and save your money for other things. Just my two cents
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:46 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Keep it. It will be hard to get enough out of it to make it worth seeling it. Unless the next poster offers insane amount.
Larry
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:56 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'd sell the F heads. They are the same junk as all the others, except for the fact that people will pay big money for them.
Get yourself a couple grand and get some better heads. Win/win.
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:47 PM

Welcome to the site! I agree with J-Chicago, you can probably get $2,000-$3,000 for the heads from someone needing those castings. You can rebuild another set of cast iron ones or purchase the Edelbrock aftermarket heads, plus have a few bucks left over for other work on your car. That's my thoughts on it. John
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:36 AM

Hi, Thank you very much for all your suggestions and invitations....
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:35 PM

I feel much better now actually...

I didn't want to get rid of it, it really is running good and strong. I just had that little slight amount of doubt, I owned a 72 W30 car when I was younger and it was all original, got good money for her, but I know the heartache of looking for "just the right part".
I think maybe sell the heads and maybe buy a set of "C" castings, or if lucky enough the Edelbrock's. Maybe just enjoy the drive for now and see what the future holds.
I will get some pics up when I figure it out, or should I say have time too.
She is rough from her junkyard days, but like I said, the cost was just tooooo little to say no
Thank you very much for all the input, does make me feel better keeping that I am not being a a$$hat.
Glad to be a part of this place indeed.

Archie