The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Guy thinking about buying a 1957 Oldsmobile 88. Need info.

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2012, 07:46 PM

New Guy thinking about buying a 1957 Oldsmobile 88. Need info.

Hey Gang

New Here, I have a 1957 Oldsmobile 88 that I am thinking about buy. Chrome is in excellent condition, looks like all it is going to need is an interior, new front floorboards, a front bumper and grill, and paint. I am trying to decode the VIN, any suggest where I can get more info? Also where I could find a fromt bumper and grille. I have the "Oldsmobile" letters.

Lucas
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:11 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site. We have quite a few members here with knowledge of the fifties era cars and they should be able to help you. They may not see your post here but they are around and when you post a specific question in an applicable forum you will get some help. Sad to say you may have trouble finding the bumper and grille, letters and smaller items are sometimes reproduced but not the bigger stuff. Of course, you can always build it like a 'gasser' and leave them off.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:25 AM

Welcome to CO

Its great to have another 57 owner on the site Fusick's is your friend for all several of the things you will be looking for http://www.fusick.com/1935-60_olds.htm

Bumpers and the like you will have to search for, Craigs list, E-bay, and old auto wrecking yards are you best bet. Sheet metal is another story. a company makes front floor pans and rear floor pans. I can't remember the name but you can do an internet search.

Also buy yourself a shop manual. Look for one on e-bay. Buy a used one as the pictures in the copies are not clear. This will help a lot in your restoration
Old February 4th, 2012, 02:43 AM

hello lucas ,

welcome to the 57' owner club , you will be hookt on that great olds model .

belgium greetz

marc

57' olds nut
Old February 4th, 2012, 04:27 PM

Welcome to CO.

Is the old bumper beyond repair or gone? Some chromers can do wonders with a bent bumper.Rebuild able stuff is out there but hard to find and expensive when you do. You might wan't to post your needs on the Parts Wanted forum. Interiors can be duplicated at you local upholstery shop,pick one that likes older styled cars and does good work. Glad you found CO.....Tedd