The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Guy From Sacramento

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:15 AM

New Guy From Sacramento

Hey guys,

My name's Bryan....I've been into old cars all my short life, but I'm just finally getting into Oldsmobiles. Right now I have a '54 324 and a '57 371, both of which I plan to rebuild myself. I'll probably have questions regarding those engines.

Thanks for having me.

Bryan
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:31 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome to C.O.
What? No 455 to drop in there? JK There are plenty of folks on the site who's older 50's cars still have original engines. I'm sure they'll be able to help out. In the meantime, we'd love to see some pics of your cars.

Just a suggestion too: Start separate threads on your build projects. Document EVERYTHING in pics and descriptions as you go. Be sure to bag all the small things you take off/apart and label them. Then store them where you KNOW you will FIND them when you need them. (don't ask how I know the importance of this)
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:53 AM

Welcome aboard
Old August 23rd, 2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Welcome to C.O.
What? No 455 to drop in there? JK There are plenty of folks on the site who's older 50's cars still have original engines. I'm sure they'll be able to help out. In the meantime, we'd love to see some pics of your cars.

Just a suggestion too: Start separate threads on your build projects. Document EVERYTHING in pics and descriptions as you go. Be sure to bag all the small things you take off/apart and label them. Then store them where you KNOW you will FIND them when you need them. (don't ask how I know the importance of this)
What Allen said x2, My advice is try and work on one project at a time, It becomes overwhelming if you have to many things going on and burnout can be a problem if you don't have some progress happening.

Those are two great years to work on and there are quite a few of us that have experience in that era car we would be glad to help when we can. What are your plans on your build?

You know pictures are a must on this site,lets see them.... Lost in the fifties... Tedd
Old August 23rd, 2012, 01:58 PM

Haha....a 455 would be a welcome addition to my collection!

I didn't post pics of my cars cause they're not Oldsmobiles. The plan is to put the 371 in my '36 Ford coupe. I picked up the 324 as a parts motor, but it's so nice, I may run it in my '36 or build another car around it. There are a couple pics in this thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...questions.html

I actually saved these motors. Unfortunately, they came from cars where people thought a Chevy motor would be better suited The 371 was from a 2-door wagon. I hadn't even seen a picture of one before I saw this one! It broke my heart to see these engines parted with the cars they came with, but I guess not everyone shares my point of view.

Anyways, thanks for the welcome. I'm looking forward to learning a lot here.

Bryan