The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

new guy- old car...

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2012, 05:46 PM

new guy- old car...

rite now we have a 1965 olds 98 4 door sedan... most of these were pretty boring stock, but ours was custom ordered. it has the ultrahigh compression 425 (420HP, 460TQ) racing TH400, and 10bolt posi. all from the factory. i thought it was OK, until it outran a 2010 mustang 5.0L... that was surprising...

it is at the body shop rite now, i will post pics of it friday, when we get it back.

PS:still has working factory air conditioning!
PPS:can anyone tell me how rare it is to find posi's in these old sedans? its never really talked about, so hard to find out.

Austin

*PICS COMBING AT THE END OF THIS WEEK*

Last edited by landbarge; January 29th, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old January 28th, 2012, 06:42 PM

They weren't called "posi" back in the day. That's a Chevy term. Olds called it the anti-spin differential, and it actually was not that uncommon.

Please post some photos of your car.
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:09 PM
1972 98 & 1984 H/O

Austin,

Welcome! I could not help but notice you said "WE have an 1965 Olds 98"...and "When WE get it back." Something tells me this is your wife's car...

I'm sure "WE" will have fun driving it! Post pics of your Bad Chariot!

Dan
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Danny Boy
Austin,

Welcome! I could not help but notice you said "WE have an 1965 Olds 98"...and "When WE get it back." Something tells me this is your wife's car...

I'm sure "WE" will have fun driving it! Post pics of your Bad Chariot!

Dan
LMAO, hahah, just noticed that.... everyone drives it, its in my fathers name, i do all the work to it...

WILL POST PICS FRIDAY, i promise. it should get back from the body shop then. we are getting a show ready paint job for 1500.... cant argue with that...
Old January 29th, 2012, 06:44 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome, sounds like a nice ride. Sleepers are always cool, bet the guy in the Mustang was thinking WTF?
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Welcome, sounds like a nice ride. Sleepers are always cool, bet the guy in the Mustang was thinking WTF?
he was LIVID. it still had paper plates on it. i mean, i wish the whole world could have seen him.... that car has only lost one race, and that was just jacking around, and everyone knew the 98 would loose... but most people dont care, or are impressed, the guy in the stang' was PISSED. it was soooo funny. but that car street races any time its out. i will admit, the stang' ALL MOST had us, it was the closest race the 98 has seen. (we got him by less then 4 feet.) i honestly thought our little old sedan would loose by a lot, but she has a bag full of tricks. you know like loosing all brakes rite as your about to turn onto the free way- (7 months ago) evadeing police after burnouts in a neiborhood rite after the tuneup (6 months ago) and makeing smiles. (every day.) hahahah, you know how it is though!

we are doing an event at the dragstrip on febuary 10, and i have an app on my phone to measure all of the drag times, i will keep a streem of numbers and pics starting friday. can't wait.

PS: i saw your cars, a guy i know has a 71' cutlus also, 77K miles, and it has been in his family since new. he built it from the ground up, and will NEVER let it go.

Last edited by landbarge; January 29th, 2012 at 09:34 PM.