The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New guy from MN

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2016, 07:12 AM

New guy from MN

So....I'm a long-time member on the Team Chevelle site and have a couple of 68 Malibus. I own a classic auto upholstery shop specializing in 50's-60's GM muscle cars. Reason I joined here is I'm restoring the interior of a customer's '64 Dynamic 88 2 door hardtop and need to find a few interior parts and decode the cowl tag, which has a body code of 64-3447. I understand the 64 which is 1964, but need to know what the 3447 is. That info is needed for ordering body rubber such as roof rail and other parts. I also understand the rest of the cowl tag info, since I've been doing mainly Chevys for the last 40 years. Also wondering which other body styles have interchangeable parts with the 3447. Thanks in advance!
Old February 15th, 2016, 06:01 AM

68 views to my question as of this morning and no one knows what a 3447 body code is?
Old February 15th, 2016, 06:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Unfortunately, there's no additional information there that you don't already know. 34 = Dynamic 88 model line. 47 = Holiday (hardtop) Coupe. Body panels interchange with other 64 2dr coupes from the D88 line except that the Jetstar I (not to be confused with the Jetstar 88) and the Starfire used a different roofline. 1963 cars share some sheetmetal like doors and floorpans, but the front and rear ends are different.
Old February 15th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Oldsdruid

Dynamic 88, Jetstar 88 and Jetstar I share seat cloth and vinyl as well as the mylar-trimmed interior door and rear trim panels. No repops I'm aware of though SMS can furnish cloth and make the side panels at great expense.

Olds will use the same weatherstripping and most small rubber bits as a 1964 Chevrolet of same body style. You'll also find things like interior door handles etc are common to all the GM B-body cars.

I dig 68 Chevelle. 69? Meh. They changed just enough(grille/taillights/dash) to turn me off, which is odd because I think the 69 Chevy big car is one of their best designs.
Old February 15th, 2016, 08:08 AM

welcome aboard Augry, You did not complete your registration so we can't tell where you are from. Sometimes it takes a day or two to get info here but, there is a wealth of information in all these memebers.

Hope what you got helped.

Larry
Old February 16th, 2016, 05:01 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO!
Old February 17th, 2016, 03:41 AM

Thanks guys for the info! Got what I need and have ordered rubber restoration parts from an Olds vendor.

Guess I was in a hurry when I registered here the other day and didn't get it completed....it is now.

Being in the classic auto upholstery biz for the last 40 years, I've done a lot of business with SMS. If you can't find classic fabric anywhere else they've got it, but expensive.

As a lifetime member over on Team Chevelle, I've asked and answered MANY questions, and yes there's no better place to ask a question than on the appropriate "old car" forum....

Last edited by augy; February 17th, 2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old February 17th, 2016, 05:09 AM
Oldsdruid

Are those Chevy mag wheelcovers I see on yer Chevelle?

I have a good friend who fools with 66-67 and there's times I think Marshall has cornered the market on those mag caps. He has several complete nice sets of each year's style. His brother's 67 alternates between the mag caps with repro redlines and 18" Torque-thrusts with modern rubber depending on what type of show it's in.

There's three of us who generally travel together to swap meets. I and the other guy have standing orders to grab any nice ones we find, though seems we find more Dodge/Plymouth versions nowadays... Found a real nice set of Buick three or four years ago.

Last edited by rocketraider; February 17th, 2016 at 05:12 AM.
Old February 17th, 2016, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Are those Chevy mag wheelcovers I see on yer Chevelle?

Yup, this Malibu is a true survivor, and those rare mag wheel covers were ordered with the car when new. I have the build sheet. This particular car was found in a shed as is in 2014 and entered in the 2015 MCACN barn find display in all it's dirty, dusty, rust-free glory. I haven't decided yet on whether to restore the car or keep it as is. They are only original once. It is an L79 car, with the factory 327/325 hp, M22, and 12-bolt posi. I bought it because it is identical in almost every way, including colors, to the one I ordered new back in 1967 and drag-raced. My 1st one was sold in '69 when Uncle Sam called, and totaled a month later by the guy that bought it.

The 1st car did not have those mag wheel covers though......

Last edited by augy; February 17th, 2016 at 06:15 AM. Reason: clarification
Old February 17th, 2016, 12:06 PM

Welcome..first car was a 67 Malibu convertible..loved it. I own a 64 olds 88...4 door. 394. I have been spending the last 6 years working on engine,suspension and electrical.
This year is the start of upholstery and body work. Love the look of the two door.
I am in Big lake, MN...20 miles south east of St. Cloud. Private message with your company name and location. Good luck
Old February 17th, 2016, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by navvet
Welcome..first car was a 67 Malibu convertible..loved it. I own a 64 olds 88...4 door. 394. I have been spending the last 6 years working on engine,suspension and electrical.
This year is the start of upholstery and body work. Love the look of the two door.
I am in Big lake, MN...20 miles south east of St. Cloud. Private message with your company name and location. Good luck

PM sent.