The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New guy from Charleston, SC...

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:30 PM

New guy from Charleston, SC...

I've been quietly reading posts on here for quite sometime, and finally decided to wave and say hello.

I'm Jerry, from Charleston, SC. The current stable, or launch pad, includes a 1978 Delta Holiday 88 and a 2001 Mustang Bullitt. The Bullitt is the baby, and she gets to rest in the garage. Also noted, the Bullitt is not the reason that I am here, at ClassicOldsmobile.Com...

That reason would be my 78 Holiday! It was bought as a daily driver. My intentions were to buy it, and drive the wheels off of it. I hadn't intended to do anything with it, or to it, but it's grown on me. I've only had it for a couple months, but in that short time, I've done the following:

1 1/4" Front Sway Bar Swap from an 89 Caprice
Rear Sway bar from a 94 Roadmaster
Timing chain replaced
74 Oldsmobile Stamped Valve Covers
Rebuilt a 77 Olds 4BBL Q-Jet for it
Installed the Rally Pack
Installed a Pioneer Premier CD Player with a homebrew MP3 player line in system
Installed Trunk Release
Installed Driver 6-way power seat.

The plans are to slide a fresh, mildly built 350, with an A4 intake and #6 heads (I think they are #6's) and a matched carb rebuild. I'm leaning towards a roller setup. Perhaps down the road a 200-4R tranny, maybe a Posi rear... But for right now, I am having fun relearning suspensions and fuel delivery old school style!

It's a little rough, it's a little grumpy, but it's an Olds...
Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:46 PM

Welcome to the site Jerry! Yes, it sounds like you've been bitten by the bug!!!
Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Randy C.

Charleston is a great place. We lived there for 2 years during one of my assignments with the USCG - actually lived in Summerville, off of Dorchester Road. I'd live there again - super nice place and super nice people. But that Ford???!! Okay, I admit it's nice. But, thank goodness you are providing your Olds with some special treats! Welcome aboard - there are some great people at this site and they are a fantastic source of Oldsmobile information and technology -both old and new. Have fun!
Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1968Olds442front.jpg (44.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg
Olds68442conv2.jpg (48.8 KB, 2 views)
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Charleston is a great place. We lived there for 2 years during one of my assignments with the USCG - actually lived in Summerville, off of Dorchester Road. I'd live there again - super nice place and super nice people. But that Ford???!! Okay, I admit it's nice. But, thank goodness you are providing your Olds with some special treats! Welcome aboard - there are some great people at this site and they are a fantastic source of Oldsmobile information and technology -both old and new. Have fun!
Randy C.
I hate to say it, but I bleed Ford Blue. However...... I've always been able to slide over into a Buick/Olds/Pontiac, just not Chevy. As luck would have it, this will be Olds #4 in the stable. My first Olds was an 87 Cutlass, followed by a 78 Cutlass that was stolen, and an 85 Cutlass.

I really enjoy both cars. Each has it's positives and negatives. Driving the Mustang is like strapping into a go-kart and going for a ride! It's got a personality like no other car I've owned. And the Mustang's got dancing in it's veins. There are trophies to prove that! I've dragged it (8.94 on the 1/8th), Autocrossed it (2006 Mustang Week Autocross Class Winner, and fastest non-SVT of the day), and I've shown it (multiple MCA trophy winner, 2008 Bullitt Nationals "Rode Hard" winner - Best over 60k on the clock). It's lightly tweaked, but mostly stock.

The Olds is getting it's own treatment too. For now, I am planning to replace the gas tank, the fuel pump, and the carb. Then I wanna straighten the timing out. Rebuild the front end, slide new tires on 'er, and head to the track. It's time to get a baseline 1/8th, and see how many cones I can kill with the "Battlestar Gigantica." Since I drive firetrucks for a living, I want to prove these big girls can dance! It may not handle like it's roller coaster riding partner, it is a heck of a lot smoother...

I think it's best of the both worlds...
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:22 PM

Hey, I know that car from somewhere....
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Ahoy!
Old December 24th, 2009, 04:20 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Yep, Chaleston is a great place.

Ma was from there. "There's a Moose In the Hoose and there's no doobt aboot it."

She used to say, "It's where tthe Ashley and the Cooper River come together to form the Atlantic Ocean."

Pop, On the other hand, used to say, "Charleston is too small to be a country and too large to be a mental institution."
Old December 24th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! Glad you quit lurking around and decided to join!!!

Nice cars! A fellow I work with has an 85 Mustang GT... it's his baby, as the Cutlass is mine! Post some more pics!!!

Jamesbo... where have I heard that "Moose in the Hoose" before? I think it's before my time! LOL!
Old December 24th, 2009, 05:30 AM
olds..older..oldest

R.e.s.p.e.c.t

Well Jerry, I don't share your passion for Fords, but I have nothing but the deepest respect for firemen [who put their lives on the line daily for the rest of us],so a BIG welcome from me too! As a 69 442 owner, I was glad to see the "heart transplant" your ride got...should be a great,ongoing project. Have a safe and happy holiday season!Derek
Old December 24th, 2009, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal

Jamesbo... where have I heard that "Moose in the Hoose" before? I think it's before my time! LOL!
Old time Charlestonians [and some Virginians] speak a foreign language
Old December 24th, 2009, 06:50 AM

Welcome to CO

Charleston is a great place spent several days there a couple of years ago while traveling around in the old motorhome. Great people and great food. I try the local fare wherever I tavel.

Enjoy that Olds.
Old December 24th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Past Administrator

Jerry glad to have you with us and welcome to CO. I like your avatar, good artwork. I once owned a '78 Delta 88 and it is probably still my wife's favorite of all the cars we have owned. Good combination of comfort, style, size and power, comparing it too the rest of the Oldsmobile stablemates. Keep an eye on those bumper mounts, the dis-similar metal corrosion can be a problem especially with the rear bumper if it ever had a hitch attached. The stress combined with the corrosion can cause the bumper to practically fall off with time. The steel plates on the end of the cylinders, and the aluminum of the actual bumper (behind the chrome exterior) cause this.
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the welcome!
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:46 PM

Jerry: I'm totally surprised that Gearhead78 (Richard) hasn't jumped onto this; he is really into revamping the suspension on his car. Glad to have you with us. Keep us posted on your progress.
Aron
Old December 24th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Welcome aboard C-town....

I'm from upstate SC here about 2 and hours and change straight up I-26 near Newberry SC. I have a couple of BB droptops in the garage here (70 & 71). Another fellow SC member is IDAS69 I'm trying to meet up with him if we can get a good weather car meet here. It seems like everythime we set something up the weather dumps on us. Glad to have with us here. Maybe if we get something going on in Columbia we can meet up. I was there about 4 years ago when the HotRod Power Tour rolled into town. Me and a guy I work with rode about 2 hours on the tour and hung out in Columbia for around 4 hours it was great to see all those great cars in one place. I'll always remember riding with the top down and getting and giving thumbs up all day it was memorable. If there's anything I can help you with don't hesitate to ask. Oldsdroptop.
Old December 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Old time Charlestonians [and some Virginians] speak a foreign language
Wah James- whatevah ah yo' tawkin' aboot? Just because Ah sound lak Wawd Buhton when Ah tawk...

Everyone I know talks like that! Well, except for maybe my Aunt Adele- she doesn't say "hoose"- she says "hise".

I used to catch a lot of grief from the guys at work aboot my Vajenyan accent. Never mind it's only aboot 20 miles from where I grew up and where everyone talked like that.

This grief from guys who say "crunk the car" and who put "mahnaise" on their 'nanner sammiches.

Wheelman, you'll see a lot of familiar names on here.
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:00 PM

I have seen quite a few names on this forum that are familar, that's why I haven't really posted until now...

Oldsdroptop - although it's in running shape, it's desperately in need of a gas tank. Hopefully by the spring it'll be up for longer distance hops.