The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2010, 08:32 PM

New Guy

Whats up everyone?! Just found this site the other night when looking for parts for my Cutlass. I have a 1968 Cutlass Convertible that my dad gave me for graduating high school. He bought the car when I was about 4 months old. It had been wrecked so he used three cars to put it together just to get it running and driveable. 26 years later from sitting in the garage I am old enough and have the money to redo the car, and appreciate it. Getting it painted, adding some wheels and trying to locate some other stuff. Its not going to be a show car, just a car that he and I can get out in and cruise around in. Sorry for sharing the story, but I really love the lines on this car, and it has a great deal of centimental value to me. Just wanted to let everyone know there was a new guy on the board. here is a pic

cutlass.jpg
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Smile

Welcome to CO, birdman. Looks like a nice ride. What kind of parts are you looking for? Several guys here have parts and parts cars hanging around.
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:46 PM

Hi welcome to the site. Don't be sorry about telling us your cars story. Every car has a story and its always nice to hear them.
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I am looking for front and rear bumpers, and the chrome stripping that goes along the top sides of the car. I was thinking of getting the bumpers re chromed but they have some really bad spots in them so I just figured i would try to find some nice ones. Also looking for places where I can buy the cutlass emblems, mirror, and door handles. The car has been sitting for a very long time and needs pretty much everything body wise. From the pic you can see it needs some work, but hopefully we can get her lined out this summer.
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:00 PM

Welcome to the site! Cool history on your car. By the way, those are factory rally wheels so if you change to aftermarket ones I'm sure someone on this site would trade you some $$ for those wheels. What part of the country, (or maybe I should say world) are you located in? John
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:03 PM

Yeah I have a few sets of those wheels, but those are the nicest. My dad use to buy any and everything he could for that car when he came across it. Im located in Louisville, Ky. Im still new with classic cars in general, I have been racing motorcylces for the last 4 years. Finally realized what i should be focusing on I guess LOL
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:12 PM

I'm from E-town. Where finally getting a few people from Ky on the site. Here are a few links to get you started.

http://www.paddockparts.com/Paddock/...B67FBFCD5BC2E4

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/home.asp#top

http://www.yearone.com/

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...0%2BOLDSMOBILE

http://www.fusick.com/cutlass.htm
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:28 PM

Thanks Andy! Do you ever make it up for any rod runs up this way? I know Sonic is the summer down there is packed.
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:44 PM

Big welcome to another new guy from KY! The site is great, lots of information here.
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:04 PM

Another part that I need to try to find is the front grill assembly for the headlights. Mine is busted up, do they make those in chrome or just in the plastic?
Old April 7th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Cutlass Lover

Hi and Welcome to our site! Never apologize for telling us a story - we like to know the history of the cars - and we like lots of pics!! You have a nice car there, and I'm glad you're going to be fixing her up! It's nice when someone appreciates what they are fortunate enough to have.... I hope you and your dad get lots of enjoyment from her! Just take your time and have lots of patience!
Old April 7th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. I think the correct term for those headlight grill assemblies are the headlight doors (believe it or not). Enjoyed the story and the picture. Good luck in your efforts.
Old April 7th, 2010, 04:43 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard Birdman

You might wanta try my buddy Paul ros6872@hotmail.com 203-272-7103 He's a good honest parts guy in Ct.
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Birdman
Thanks Andy! Do you ever make it up for any rod runs up this way? I know Sonic is the summer down there is packed.

I haven't made it up for the runs in a while. Yeah Sonic is always full on Saturday night with old cars. I try to at least get to the Ohio Valley race way about once a year.
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Randy C.

Welcome to the site. You've got a great collector car! Keep that convertible forever and it will always pay you back! Of the sites listed in a previous post, Fusick worked best for me in finding and buying replacement parts for my car. Another site to consider is www.supercarsunlimited.com near Portland OR. Most of the parts they offer are mechanical - drivetrain-related but very good and very responsive. Have fun in top-down weather!
Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_1264.jpg (63.3 KB, 1 views)
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:37 AM

Thanks for all the great replies and warm welcomes. My dad told me the exact same thing, not to rush the car, just to be patient and do it right. Thats why I figured I would join here, seems like a great place to get help.

Andy, I go to the Valley atleast once and week, and went more back when i was racing bikes. I cannot wait to drive my cutlass up there when she is done. Its a really nice drive out there from the house.
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:14 AM

A Olds with pictures and a story is always welcome.
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:38 PM

I have some more that I will upload this weekend of the build when my dad got it and they are through the whole build. I guess I will start a build thread in the project section if that is the right section.