The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to the forum and looking for advice and ideas

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2015, 09:31 PM

New to the forum and looking for advice and ideas

I am a proud owner of a 1972 olds cutlass supreme and to say the least I am at the first stages of restoration! After much money spent i have my 455 completely rebuilt. While I continue to save for the step I am just joy riding. I am curious if anyone with the same vehicle has installed a retrosound radio and had an issue with the radio sound glitching or skipping only when the car is running? Plays music fine when the ignition is turn back to acc. Any ideas or troubleshooting tips? My grounds seem fine and the only other thing I have done is take the constant and ignition wires and connect them together and directly to the battery. Same outcome.
Old June 8th, 2015, 11:13 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Is it momentarily cutting out or are you talking about cd's skipping?.
Either way I think the fault lies in the radio, possibly a broken wire that only becomes apparent with the vibration from running the engine.
At first glance at your post I thought you were talking about interference from the ignition or charging system, but that would be a constant humming or crackling with the engine running.

Roger.
Old June 9th, 2015, 04:39 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post some pictures of your car when you get a chance. As far as your radio, if you truly are connected to the battery, you've eliminated the chances of any power disruptions.
Old June 9th, 2015, 06:46 AM

Christine72cutlass
First question. Is this your username because your name is Christine? Or is it because your car behaves like the car in the Stephen King novel of the same name?

Originally Posted by Christine72cutlass
the radio sound glitching or skipping only when the car is running? Plays music fine when the ignition is turn back to acc. Any ideas or troubleshooting tips? My grounds seem fine and the only other thing I have done is take the constant and ignition wires and connect them together and directly to the battery. Same outcome.
Sounds like poltergeists. I'm guessing the latter of the two possible reasons above for your username.
Old June 9th, 2015, 07:31 AM

I definitely nicknames it Christine based on the movie. My name is shawn and I will be trying to post some pictures of the car sometime here in the near future. -Rustyroger- the source of the music I was playing was both through a Bluetooth connecting as well as the radio. But yes it is momentarily cutting out and it is in pretty consistent intervals...plays 1 sec cuts out 1 sec. I am contact with Retrosound now and hopefully they can give me more ideas specific to their radio. I thought that maybe it has something to do with the amount of voltage coming from the alternator. I read somewhere about a phi filter? or something that acts as a capacitor to keep a continuous current to the radio.
Old June 9th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Administrator

I would double check for bad connections, power, ground and splice joints.
Old June 10th, 2015, 12:53 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

My Nissan Micra dd has the same issue, basically because it has a cheap radio and an old aeriel (antenna to you guys ).
The radio seeks the best signal strength, and if it decides it's too weak it will cut in and out, particularly surrounded by high buildings or any place with not so great reception.
Does the cd or bluetooth play pre-recorded music well?.
If so then you may have a bad antenna or just not a good radio.

Roger.
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
an old aeriel (antenna to you guys).
Thanks for that clarification. To us, aerial (Ariel) is a mermaid.