The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New To Forum - '72 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2018, 12:46 PM

New To Forum - '72 Cutlass

Hi all,

New to the forum, appreciate the add! Just purchased my '72 at the Barrett Jackson Auction in Vegas... Looking forward to gathering a bunch on info here! From Calgary Canada...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_9621.JPG (2.30 MB, 96 views)
IMG_7511.JPG (2.11 MB, 93 views)
IMG_8677.JPG (2.25 MB, 88 views)
Old October 2nd, 2018, 01:20 PM
Pat

dmacalli,

Welcome! Wow, Congrats! Very nice looking Oldsmobile Cutlass!
Old October 2nd, 2018, 01:29 PM

Congratulations, very,very nice. Looking forward to your details of the car. We like pictures. Nice people here.
Wayne
Old October 2nd, 2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by patshotrods
dmacalli,

Welcome! Wow, Congrats! Very nice looking Oldsmobile Cutlass!
Thanks!
Old October 2nd, 2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by 35tac
Congratulations, very,very nice. Looking forward to your details of the car. We like pictures. Nice people here.
Wayne
Thanks Wayne... She is gonna take about 2 or 3 weeks to arrive (going to be the longest 2 or 3 weeks of my life - lol), will be sure to add new info and pictures once it arrives. I am sure I am going to be seeking some (lots) of information as well, so looking forward to connecting.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 03:38 PM
same but different

Welcome to the site. Great looking car! You'll find lots of good stuff here to feed your curiosity. Look forward to your thoughts when it gets home.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by don71
Welcome to the site. Great looking car! You'll find lots of good stuff here to feed your curiosity. Look forward to your thoughts when it gets home.
Thanks don71! Looking forward to meeting new people and gathering info.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, very nice and shiny.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site, very nice and shiny.
Thanks Eric...
Old October 2nd, 2018, 08:43 PM

Hi everyone... Of course, I received the VIN for the '72, but it seems as though when I google it, not a ton on info comes up (just when the vehicle has been up for sale) and also had a site suggest that I was missing some digits. I have 13 digits and I am wondering if maybe the number I am researching is not actually the VIN. I am curious where it was produced and other info, but maybe I will actually find that out by using the cowl tag? First of many Q's... Hope you guys don't mind.

Thanks!
Old October 3rd, 2018, 06:05 AM

Beautiful car! Congrats on the purchase. I love my '72!
Old October 3rd, 2018, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Will22
Beautiful car! Congrats on the purchase. I love my '72!
Thanks Will22...
Old October 3rd, 2018, 07:02 AM
Pat

Yes the V.I.N. should be 13 Digits.

Looking on Barrett-Jacksons website your V.I.N. # should be:
3G87H2Z141548

Here below is your V.I.N. # Decoded:

3G87H2Z141548Year:1972Division:OldsmobileSeries:Cutlass SBody:Holiday Hardtop (2 door)Engine:350 (5.7) V8 2BBLPlant:Fremont, CaliforniaSerial Number:141548
Old October 3rd, 2018, 07:05 AM

Yes the V.I.N. should be 13 Digits.

Looking on Barrett-Jacksons website your V.I.N. # should be:
3G87H2Z141548

Here below is your V.I.N. # Decoded:

3G87H2Z141548Year:1972Division:OldsmobileSeries:Cutlass SBody:Holiday Hardtop (2 door)Engine:350 (5.7) V8 2BBLPlant:Fremont, CaliforniaSerial Number:141548
Pat.... Thank you! Yes, you are spot on with the VIN. Really appreciate you providing the information!
Old October 3rd, 2018, 07:16 AM
Pat

No problem, glad to help!
Old October 3rd, 2018, 12:00 PM

Quick Update... Just received "the call" from the transportation company. The '72 will be arriving at the house between Oct 6th and 8th! The two to three weeks wait time must have been just a bad dream :-)
Old October 3rd, 2018, 12:12 PM
delete

Nice car. Congrats. To be nosy, I looked it up on the BJ site Looks like you paid a very fair price. Enjoy.

Also, since you were asking about the VIN - in 72 442 was an option package on the Cutlass, so the VIN won't tell you if it left the factory as a 442.

Love the wheels. I'm not sure what Amer racing called them, but back in the day they were called Daisies
Old October 3rd, 2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
Nice car. Congrats. To be nosy, I looked it up on the BJ site Looks like you paid a very fair price. Enjoy.

Also, since you were asking about the VIN - in 72 442 was an option package on the Cutlass, so the VIN won't tell you if it left the factory as a 442.

Love the wheels. I'm not sure what Amer racing called them, but back in the day they were called Daisies
Thanks droptopron!

Not being nosy at all, the price you saw includes the BJ fee!, so we are really happy with what we paid. Need to also factor in the shipping, but whatever LOL.

I figured that the 442 package was an option in '72 as I was asking about that while at the auction. Any idea how to find out if it left the factory as a 442? Have patients with me, new to the collector car world :-)
Old October 3rd, 2018, 12:24 PM
delete

Originally Posted by dmacalli
Thanks droptopron!

. Any idea how to find out if it left the factory as a 442? Have patients with me, new to the collector car world :-)
You'd have to find a broadcast card or some original paperwork showing it. Otherwise no way of telling.
Enjoy it for what it is. It looks like a really nice car.

Interesting side note - your car has the rear bumper w/ the cutouts usually associated with 442's but in 72 a small block car wouldn't have gotten that even if it was a 442 so that definitely was added. IMO its a great upgrade. It just looks cool.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 12:26 PM
delete

BTW - did you see this car while you were there?
This one went for a good bit more than you paid. I'd say I'd like your car more

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...CUTLASS-222185
Old October 3rd, 2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
BTW - did you see this car while you were there?
This one went for a good bit more than you paid. I'd say I'd like your car more

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...CUTLASS-222185
We absolutely did see that car there. It was not on our list of cars that we were willing to play on. The one we bought was on the list, so thrilled with it. I must admit, I was surprised to see what that one went for, but as the hammer dropped on ours, a guy and his wife were angry that they missed out... they were bidding but just waited a hair too long to up the bid. Hammer dropped and BOOM, we won the bid. Was extremely exciting...
Old October 3rd, 2018, 01:24 PM
Pat

Your car also Sold at "3" other Barrett-Jackson Auctions in the past - Palm Beach 2011, Palm Beach 2013 & Scottsdale 2017, see below:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...R-COUPE-101794

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...R-COUPE-151460

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...***-442-199811
Old October 3rd, 2018, 01:29 PM

Your car also Sold at "3" other Barrett-Jackson Auctions in the past - Palm Beach 2011, Palm Beach 2013 & Scottsdale 2017, see below:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...R-COUPE-101794

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...R-COUPE-151460

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...***-442-199811
Yep, I know... I asked BJ about this, they said that these "rich guys" buy it, play with it for a bit and sell it, they do not really worry about what it goes for. I asked if they have issues with it being on their block 4 separate times (including last week) and they said that it does frustrate them a little. She looks great, she sounds great, hope she drives great and I assured them that they will not be seeing this car again anytime soon
Old October 3rd, 2018, 01:34 PM
Pat

Awesome, I hear you! It does look very nice! Just get it like you want it and enjoy it!
Old October 3rd, 2018, 01:51 PM

congrats

Welcome and congrats on the purchase.

Upon your return to Calgary join the Northern Lights Olds Club. Our annual show is in Olds AB every July.

i am in Cochrane and look forward to seeing your car.

Dave
Old October 3rd, 2018, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Welcome and congrats on the purchase.

Upon your return to Calgary join the Northern Lights Olds Club. Our annual show is in Olds AB every July.

i am in Cochrane and look forward to seeing your car.

Dave
Hey Dave, super to meet you - Fellow Albertan!

Thanks for the suggestion, I have just joined the club. Will be nice to meet you and we will be in Olds next July for the show.

Thanks again... Dale
Old October 4th, 2018, 07:22 AM

Beautiful car. I look forward to seeing another Olds around at the Show & Shines.

- Jeff
Old October 4th, 2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chugger
Beautiful car. I look forward to seeing another Olds around at the Show & Shines.

- Jeff
Hey Jeff, great to connect! For sure we will be attending many, look forward to meeting you.
Old October 4th, 2018, 08:12 AM

Too bad you couldn't wait for a little while. I could have cancelled my plane ticket and driven it back up to you.

Last edited by geowindow6768; October 4th, 2018 at 08:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old October 4th, 2018, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by geowindow6768
Too bad you couldn't wait for a little while. I could have cancelled my plane ticket and driven it back up to you.
Hmmmm, interesting concept and appreciate the offer, buuuuuuut, Not A Chance LOL. Will be at the Olds show in Olds in July, will see you then?
Old October 4th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi everyone... Of course, I received the VIN for the '72, but it seems as though when I google it, not a ton on info comes up (just when the vehicle has been up for sale) and also had a site suggest that I was missing some digits. I have 13 digits and I am wondering if maybe the number I am researching is not actually the VIN. I am curious where it was produced and other info, but maybe I will actually find that out by using the cowl tag? First of many Q's... Hope you guys don't mind.

Thanks!
No, the VIN won't give you a lot of information, and much as I love the color and appearance of the car I would suggest you did not buy a 442. It's a Cutlass S that's been rebadged and striped. One easy tip off is that no 1972 442 ever left the factory with stainless rocker panels; that was a delete on the W29 package. You should also check the suspension to see if it was upgraded to FE2, as that was an RPO that year. The deck wing is not original to the car. None of the 72's ever came with one - likely a dealer add on from customer request, or a PO did that.

Barrett Jackson has been in the market long enough to know that this wasn't a 442, but they sold it as one anyway likely because they know that those 3 numbers command a higher price. I would document that and ask for a partial refund due to misrepresentation.
Old October 4th, 2018, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
No, the VIN won't give you a lot of information, and much as I love the color and appearance of the car I would suggest you did not buy a 442. It's a Cutlass S that's been rebadged and striped. One easy tip off is that no 1972 442 ever left the factory with stainless rocker panels; that was a delete on the W29 package. You should also check the suspension to see if it was upgraded to FE2, as that was an RPO that year. The deck wing is not original to the car. None of the 72's ever came with one - likely a dealer add on from customer request, or a PO did that.

Barrett Jackson has been in the market long enough to know that this wasn't a 442, but they sold it as one anyway likely because they know that those 3 numbers command a higher price. I would document that and ask for a partial refund due to misrepresentation.
Thanks Allen... Couple of things...
1. I am sure it was sold NOT as a 442, although, yes, it does have some of the markings. When we were there checking it out and as it was going up on the block, and after talking to way smarter car guys than I, I knew it was not a 442. Running the VIN through GOOGLE, turns out it has been marked this way for many years (at least 7) that I could find. Of note - I did also find some others that had the 350 in it but marked up with 442 markings. Not sure, but seems as though it was an option to mark it up that way.

2. At the Vegas auction, BJ in no way suggested that this was a 442, in fact, on the broadcast (a bunch of friends taped it and sent it to me), they suggest that it has the 442 upgrades, not that it is a 442.

Its all good... We love the car, can't wait for it to get here and are happy with what we paid. Maybe overpriced, but hey, bought it at Barrett Jackson, and I don't really care if we overpaid. I intend to enjoy it, keep it in pristine condition and drive it as much as I can for the short period of time we can drive it here in Alberta. PS - We will be taking it to a car show in Vancouver August 2019, can't wait!

Again though, love the info that I am receiving on this forum, it is extremely educating that is for sure. Thanks again!
Old October 4th, 2018, 04:32 PM

For 1972 the 442 was an "appearance package" option for the Cutlass. The 350 engine was the base engine, and a 2bbl single exhaust was even possible. In order to get a 4bbl carb, dual exhaust, or a 455 those had to be ordered as additional options.
Old October 4th, 2018, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
For 1972 the 442 was an "appearance package" option for the Cutlass. The 350 engine was the base engine, and a 2bbl single exhaust was even possible. In order to get a 4bbl carb, dual exhaust, or a 455 those had to be ordered as additional options.
Ahhh, kind of what I was hearing as well at the auction. Thanks for clarifying...
Old October 5th, 2018, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
So, these would be my assumptions then...
1. Appearance package was ordered as an option;
2. Dual exhaust was ordered as an option;
3. Not sure about the 4bbl carb, will need to figure that out;
4. Rear spoiler was ordered as an option;

These are just the newbies assumptions, not too sure if I even have the ability to confirm any of this.
Old October 5th, 2018, 08:31 AM

So, these would be my assumptions then...
1. Appearance package was ordered as an option;
2. Dual exhaust was ordered as an option;
3. Not sure about the 4bbl carb, will need to figure that out;
4. Rear spoiler was ordered as an option;

These are just the newbies assumptions, not too sure if I even have the ability to confirm any of this.
The spoiler was not a factory option in 1972 but dealers could sell and install them. Most likely your spoiler is a two pedestal repo not a 3 pedal original.
Old October 5th, 2018, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave

The spoiler was not a factory option in 1972 but dealers could sell and install them. Most likely your spoiler is a two pedestal repo not a 3 pedal original.
Spot on Dave, it's a 2 pedestal, so not an original then. Thanks...
Old October 5th, 2018, 09:22 AM

Spot on Dave, it's a 2 pedestal, so not an original then. Thanks...
Just to be clear all the spoilers are two pedestal but an original uses 3 attachments per side. Early repo spoilers only use two per pedestal. Newer repo spoilers offer 3 attachments like the original. Regardless of which it is the spoiler looks great on your car. Enjoy it.
Old October 5th, 2018, 10:18 AM

Thanks Allen... Couple of things...
1. I am sure it was sold NOT as a 442, although, yes, it does have some of the markings. When we were there checking it out and as it was going up on the block, and after talking to way smarter car guys than I, I knew it was not a 442. Running the VIN through GOOGLE, turns out it has been marked this way for many years (at least 7) that I could find. Of note - I did also find some others that had the 350 in it but marked up with 442 markings. Not sure, but seems as though it was an option to mark it up that way.

2. At the Vegas auction, BJ in no way suggested that this was a 442, in fact, on the broadcast (a bunch of friends taped it and sent it to me), they suggest that it has the 442 upgrades, not that it is a 442.

Its all good... We love the car, can't wait for it to get here and are happy with what we paid. Maybe overpriced, but hey, bought it at Barrett Jackson, and I don't really care if we overpaid. I intend to enjoy it, keep it in pristine condition and drive it as much as I can for the short period of time we can drive it here in Alberta. PS - We will be taking it to a car show in Vancouver August 2019, can't wait!
Always great to hear when someone did their research and knew what they were buying, well done. It's a great looking car and I'd be pleased as punch to own it as well. What show are you planning in Vancouver? Might have to try to get over for it!

I'm not sure if Oldsmobiledave's terms may have been confusing...as far as I know the spoiler only ever had 2 pedestals (uprights between the trunk lid and the horizontal) but the mounting hardware of the original had 3 points on each base while the repro's only have 2.

Old October 5th, 2018, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
Always great to hear when someone did their research and knew what they were buying, well done. It's a great looking car and I'd be pleased as punch to own it as well. What show are you planning in Vancouver? Might have to try to get over for it!
Hi there,

Thanks for the kudos! Vancouver... My dad was the co founder of the Tsawwassen Sun Festival Car Show held annually during the August long weekend. Sadly, my dad passed away this past June, but the show lives on! As my dad was an avid collector (he has 5 antique vehicles), it was a desire of mine to start as well. Unfortunately I was 3 months too late for him to see my first one (he was set to attend the Barrett Jackson Auction with my wife, mom and I), I will be paying tribute to him by attending his car show in 2019. Would be super if you joined!
Thanks,
Dale

Quick Reply: New To Forum - '72 Cutlass