The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to the forum

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:20 AM

New to the forum

Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a 72 Firebird Formula- not an Olds, I know.. but I'm running an Olds 350 in it and I'm planning to go through it some time in the next year or so.

Just some background, I'm in the USAF and I just moved from England to Okinawa, Japan. I bought the 'bird from a Brit a while back and I shipped it from the UK a little over 2 weeks ago, where it spent the last 32 years of it's life. Hopefully I'll see it again sometime next month..

Anyway, here's the obligitory pics, cause I know you guys will ask:

some pics I snapped at the vehicle processing center the day I shipped it

and the other side

here, and in the next one, you can see the tail lights I had to fabricate to make it legal

could use some freshening up, but it runs real strong.

the electronic programmable $peedometer I had to put in, so I wouldn't have to booger up my factory 160 mph piece. I programmed it so the big numbers on the outside are KPH and the odometer in the window as well..
don't ask. They call it a Japanese inspection for a reason :P

one of my pretty new GNX/GTA wheels

And that's pretty much it for now.. I have about a terabyte of pics of this car and if anyone's really interested, I'll gladly post more.

Thanks!

Last edited by 72oldsmobird; January 9th, 2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: spellling
Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:40 AM

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service to our country.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:59 AM

Welcome . Are those trans am flares on it?
Old January 4th, 2012, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by DENT
Welcome . Are those trans am flares on it?
yep. There's not much original to the car. Flares, spoiler, sunroof, were all added to it. engine, tranny, rearend(4.10), all changed.. Used to be Anaconda Gold/Sandal interior, now it's VW Tornado Red/Black interior. Wheels are repros, but not correct for the car (80s T/A GTA & Grand National GNX had this style). Entire Hotchkis suspension and steering (AGR 12.7:1 steering box). Hooker comp stainless ceramic headers, and a full Pypes stainless 2.5 in exhaust.

There's a lot more.. too much to list. My goal is to make it pro-touring worthy, but maybe not to the extremes I've seen with all the gadgetry, digital dashes, big wheels, ect. I wanna keep the classic feel and look, with a modern ride, drive, and performance.
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:04 PM

Nice! I just got your PM and welcome to Oki! I'll probably pick your brain a bit about a few old car things, and I'll be glad to help with the registration BS. It's not going to be quick or easy, but we can get it done. When do they think the car will show up here?

On the speedo, you'll need the numbers labeled kph to be kph and the ones labeled mph to read in mph. The odometer can be in mph or kph, doesn't matter. They also wanted to see the serial number on the engine match the chassis, but I'm sure there are ways around that.

I'm assuming you are on Kadena? What do you do?
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck
Nice! I just got your PM and welcome to Oki! I'll probably pick your brain a bit about a few old car things, and I'll be glad to help with the registration BS. It's not going to be quick or easy, but we can get it done. When do they think the car will show up here?

On the speedo, you'll need the numbers labeled kph to be kph and the ones labeled mph to read in mph. The odometer can be in mph or kph, doesn't matter. They also wanted to see the serial number on the engine match the chassis, but I'm sure there are ways around that.

I'm assuming you are on Kadena? What do you do?

Cool man. I'll definitely hit you up when it's time to register it. The RDD is 23 Feb but it may be later b/c it was held up for a couple of weeks in the UK- long story, but the status finally updated to "DELIVERED TO OCEAN CARRIER..."

As for the speedo, it's prob not too big of a deal. It's super easy to calibrate.

Matching VIN #s... might be a problem, but I'll find out I guess.

I've also been told that worst case scenario, If the car is deemed unregisterable, I can still get an off-road only permit, and keep it in my garage. Don't know how reliable that info is but I'm driving up to JSVRO tomorrow, to get a better idea what the process is like.

And yeah, I'm on KAB. I'm an F-15 Avionics guy. You?

Last edited by 72oldsmobird; January 12th, 2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old January 12th, 2012, 02:44 AM

No such thing as an off road only permit here. No permit needed if it's just going to sleep in the garage. I'm sure there is a way around the different engine thing, it's just going to be more pain in the but paperwork. They are pretty useless at JSVRO and won't be able to tell you much, but they will give you an information sheet that will give you some of the info you need. Make sure you emphasize that the car was made before 1975 or they will give you wrong info (thinking your car is coming through mainland.) I can tell you though your first step will be going down to LTO near Camp Kinser and getting the paperwork package to start filling out. I don't suppose you speak any Japanese?

I'm an Air Traffic Controller down in Naha BTW.
Old January 17th, 2012, 11:23 PM

Welcome to the forum!!!!!