The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New to Forum, not new to Olds

Old September 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM

New to Forum, not new to Olds

I learned to drive in a '77 Vista Cruiser, bought a '70 Cutlass Supreme SX in 1983 to drive to high-school, bought a couple early Toronados, dropped a 455 into an off-roader, and now I've pared down my projects to just one, non-Olds 2-seat GM-produced sports-car with chrome-bumpers.

Somewhat sad, I suppose, but it's better that others get to use my cars and parts rather than I just let them sit.

So now I'm selling off the last few pieces that I collected over the past 25 years, and devoting time to household projects and to minor things on my cars that are not multi-year projects.
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Good to see another experienced Oldsmobile guy to ask questions. Those 70 SX's are sweet. Welcome - folks on this site are very friendly.
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:52 PM

Talking Welcome to CO

Your awful young to quit the Olds hobby, but a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do. If you have parts for sale please post them in the parts for sale forum. lots of need here
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Your awful young to quit the Olds hobby, but a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do. If you have parts for sale please post them in the parts for sale forum. lots of need here
It's funny; I tried posting in that forum, but I got an error-message saying I wasn't allowed/approved to post in there. I gather there is some mechanism that keeps spammers from destroying the for-sale forums which is preventing me from posting.

And thank you for saying I'm too young for something; I don't hear that very often anymore...

I'd like to think I'm taking a break, rather than quitting entirely. I've been up to my elbows in Olds-parts and cars for so long, but not doing enough with them. An unfortunate reality is that I live on a 50'x100' lot in the city, with a long single-track driveway leading to a single-car garage/oversized potting-shed. Here's a shot of my work-space in the midst of one of my projects (the 455-powered offroader, a '78 Cherokee):

And even when I was able to tuck my SX into the garage, it was more than somewhat tight:

Doesn't look too bad in that picture, but here's the clearance on the right-hand side:

I had taken the car about as far as my means and time would allow, and had replaced all the bolt-on sheetmetal, and restored under the hood, but the bodyshell was going to require me to do quite a bit of welding in the above-pictured space, which I realized just wasn't going to happen. And for what I would pay someone else to do the body and paint, I could pick up something already in driver-quality that I could enjoy immediately, while driving one of my daughters to this or that event (an activity that occupies about 45% of my waking hours, it seems).

So, after 26 years in my possession, I sold her; a little sad, but I look forward to someday getting another Olds, perhaps a 4spd Starfire/Jetstar 1 or another '69 Toronado, but this time with the W34 motor.

But only once I have the space to park them and work on them. Until then, I ferry my kids in something that fits a bit better into the space I have to work with:

But I do hope to figure out how I can list all my Olds parts for those who could actually use them.
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. All you had to do was clean out all that junk, the tools, rakes, ladders, bicycle wheels, gardening equipment, etc........
Just giving you a hard time. Nice vette.

Try again to post in another forum. You are a registered member and it should work.
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:58 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Yeah storage is everyones problem. By the time I finish a shed [or garage ] it's already too small.
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Welcome!! I once had three cars in my 2 1/2 car garage. We used our Sunfire the most and when I parked it indoors I had to drop the rear seat back and crawl out the trunk, reverse procedure to get in. I was 61 at the time.... needless to say that situation didn't last too long. Vettes are nice, but I'll bring my 455 Delta down some day and get you hooked on Olds again.... Zoom, Zoom.