The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New 68 Project

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2016, 01:26 PM

New 68 Project

Proud new owner of a 68 442 Conv frame-off project that was just purchased in boxes. Was in the market for a small tinkering project and this deal seemed too good to pass, so I am a little over my head right now but this forum looks like it is going to be a great resource. Spent the past two weekends resorting all the parts which were lumped together with no rhyme or reason and some 69 and 70 stuff mixed in just to keep me on my toes.

Had a several 442s during high school back in the 80's and didnt pay over $1,000 for any of them back then so a little sticker shock thus far but I can't wait to get this '68 back on the road.

Appreciate any feedback on restoration advise/pitfalls.

Brian
Old April 4th, 2016, 01:42 PM

Welcome!

Lot's of love for the 68's here!
Old April 4th, 2016, 02:01 PM

Congratulations. Many of us have been in your shoes. When it seems impossible look at this:

And realize it became this:

Old April 4th, 2016, 02:41 PM

Very Nice!

Is that the Scarlet Red? Scarlet is my color code.

How long start to finish?
Old April 4th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, congrats on your new project.
Old April 4th, 2016, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bbarnes
Is that the Scarlet Red? Scarlet is my color code.

How long start to finish?
Yes, it's an R2, Lansing built, four speed car. Totally a driver. Nothing matches. It took me seven years but for two of them I was traveling for work and moving from Boston to Upstate NY.

Where did you find your car?
Old April 4th, 2016, 07:01 PM

Glad to see all your work pay off with a gorgeous 442. I think getting there and touching every nut and bolt is going to be half the fun!

Found here in NE Ohio, its a Lansing car with the number matching engine and automatic trans so I am going to try to go back original as much as possible. A lot of missing parts and honestly I dont even know what original looks like yet. Just bought the Fisher body manual and chassis manuals so hopefully that will help. A lot to learn.

Let the parts quest begin!
Old April 4th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Randy C.

Welcome to this site! It's great for getting all kinds of technical info as you put your car back together again. I got my '68 vert in a similar condition - body on a rolling frame, engine on a stand, transmission sitting on a dirt basement floor, and tons of parts in boxes. It took about 3 years to put it all back together again but, when it was done, we did it right! Working on a '69 vert now. Enjoy your project and ask away on any questions you may have. You'll always get the right answer here!

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0725150939.jpg (798.5 KB, 6 views)
Old April 4th, 2016, 07:57 PM

Welcome aboard!

We love to watch these rides coming together, so be sure and share lots of pics as your project advances! You've stepped off in the right direction by purchasing the two Olds manuals right at the very beginning! There are a few other books you may want to pick up along the way, but they can probably wait for the time being. Good Luck, from Colorado!
Old April 5th, 2016, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bbarnes
Just bought the Fisher body manual and chassis manuals so hopefully that will help. A lot to learn.

Pick up an Assembly Manual too. Even if it's a crappy copy on disc or thumb drive. I used that more than the other two
Old April 5th, 2016, 05:49 AM

X2 on allyolds recommendation

The AM gives PN for what your car needs here and there. Sometimes, like pulleys, the code and/or PN is on the part. Other times [pcv tube] there is no ID on the part, so you use pics and your friends on the internet to get it done.

Frame off? Frame ck'd for structural rot? Finding the frame VIN stamp is always fun.