The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New 442 W30 tribute

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2021, 08:55 AM
Banned

New 442 W30 tribute

Hello everyone, i am not only new to this forum but new to owning an oldsmobile. I have a 1970 442 W30 Tribute. It is a numbers matching car but the cowl hood and red inner fender wells have been added. I am looking to add the dual gate shifter and possibly go all the way and make it a clone if I can find the "F" code heads and Aluminum intake.

Looking forward to being part of the community!

Old July 28th, 2021, 09:40 AM
72 Olds CS

Welcome thats a beauty for sure i love the gold cars!

F heads can be pricey. Some people just grind the lower leg off the E to make an F to get a similar performance boost.
Old July 28th, 2021, 09:52 AM
same but different

Welcome. That is a good looking car.
Old July 28th, 2021, 10:02 AM

Welcome, congrats! Nice car
Im pretty sure your car was discussed here before you bought it. The tribute red fender wells are legit. I’m thinking the hood maybe too? Vader on this site has the heads and intake your looking for I’m pretty sure?

Last edited by scrappie; July 28th, 2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old July 28th, 2021, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, nice ride.
Old July 28th, 2021, 11:25 AM

I second the notion of just taking an "E" head and grinding the bottom to make it an "F" head. Especially since this is NOT a true W-30 and you are clearly stating that it's a tribute. Why spend thousands of dollars on an F head when you can do it with less money and still get the same desired result.

Old July 28th, 2021, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by pettrix
I second the notion of just taking an "E" head and grinding the bottom to make it an "F" head. Especially since this is NOT a true W-30 and you are clearly stating that it's a tribute. Why spend thousands of dollars on an F head when you can do it with less money and still get the same desired result.
Good point
Old July 28th, 2021, 01:00 PM

As mentioned above Vader currently has a set F heads for sale on this site:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...er-set-157052/
Old July 28th, 2021, 02:35 PM

Funny looking high school tassel hanging there. Very nice
Old July 29th, 2021, 07:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pettrix
I see your point. I haven't even received the car yet and i am already making changes. LOL
Old July 29th, 2021, 08:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by v8al
As mentioned above Vader currently has a set F heads for sale on this site:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...er-set-157052/
Thanks, those are pricey! maybe wait a while and see what direction i want to take it.
Old July 29th, 2021, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Guinnessman
Thanks, those are pricey! maybe wait a while and see what direction i want to take it.
A true "F" head will be very expensive but like I mentioned, for a NON W-30, why spend the $$ and take away a real F head when it can go on a real W-30. For a tribute car, you are wasting money by getting a real "F" head.

It's like the guy who is selling a real 1970 442 W-30 carburetor for like $4,000. That would be a complete waste of money to buy and put on a non-real W-30

Last edited by pettrix; July 29th, 2021 at 09:02 AM.
Old July 29th, 2021, 09:47 AM

Why grind the leg off from the E ? Most people won't know what heads came on the car or a real W-30. If you are going this far to deceive people, what are you going to do about altering the 6 digit casting number ?
Old July 29th, 2021, 03:42 PM

Welcome to the forum. Very nice Olds!
Old July 30th, 2021, 04:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Why grind the leg off from the E ? Most people won't know what heads came on the car or a real W-30. If you are going this far to deceive people, what are you going to do about altering the 6 digit casting number ?
Not trying to decieve people. Why would you say that? Just thinking of making it a true clone thinking it would be worth more and unique. I for sure am not going to spend that kind of money though.
Old July 30th, 2021, 01:59 PM

Not trying to decieve people. Why would you say that? Just thinking of making it a true clone thinking it would be worth more and unique. I for sure am not going to spend that kind of money though.
Because every tribute, mirror image, clone, fake, rebadge, custom, "I would've ordered it this way," whatever starts as someone just wanting to do something, then, 2 or 3 sales later, it's a fraud being sold as the real thing.

My opinion, it looks great the way it is. No W-30 badges, no deceiving engine castings, it's just a mildly customized 442 and that is just right. It won't be mistaken as a w-30 and it shouldn't be. No need for F heads, no need for casting grinding, and, if you want an aluminum manifold, get an aftermarket one that flows better for 10% the price. I certainly wouldn't spend ANY money making a clone out of it. Performance upgrades, sure, get the dual gate shifter if you like it, but I would not badge it as a W-30, nor would I buy parts that were W-30 only for it.
Old July 30th, 2021, 04:46 PM

Beautiful car...you are off to a great start with it. We have a mixed bag as far as opinions on cloning round here. Please don't be offended, we would like you hang out with us. Koda has touched on a few things to consider. It really is fact that once cloned car leaves the cloner's possession the facts get foggy and eventually someone gets taken believing they are getting the real thing. One can even get a fake broadcast card made that makes it even tougher to tell. Cloning in this hobby is a slippery slope.

I believe you would never intentionally deceive. You might even tell people up front that car is a clone, but what are really gaining? The car will not be worth more and you will get tired of people asking you if you have any proof or providence to back up those W-30 badges. It is your car however and you have every right to do with it what you want. I think it is beautiful like it is and I wouldn't spend a dime to give it a "boob job" in the form of the W-30 clone treatment.

Enjoy your car,
tc
Old July 30th, 2021, 10:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4+4+2=10
Beautiful car...you are off to a great start with it. We have a mixed bag as far as opinions on cloning round here. Please don't be offended, we would like you hang out with us. Koda has touched on a few things to consider. It really is fact that once cloned car leaves the cloner's possession the facts get foggy and eventually someone gets taken believing they are getting the real thing. One can even get a fake broadcast card made that makes it even tougher to tell. Cloning in this hobby is a slippery slope.

I believe you would never intentionally deceive. You might even tell people up front that car is a clone, but what are really gaining? The car will not be worth more and you will get tired of people asking you if you have any proof or providence to back up those W-30 badges. It is your car however and you have every right to do with it what you want. I think it is beautiful like it is and I wouldn't spend a dime to give it a "boob job" in the form of the W-30 clone treatment.

Enjoy your car,
tc
Amen
Old July 30th, 2021, 10:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Koda
Because every tribute, mirror image, clone, fake, rebadge, custom, "I would've ordered it this way," whatever starts as someone just wanting to do something, then, 2 or 3 sales later, it's a fraud being sold as the real thing.

My opinion, it looks great the way it is. No W-30 badges, no deceiving engine castings, it's just a mildly customized 442 and that is just right. It won't be mistaken as a w-30 and it shouldn't be. No need for F heads, no need for casting grinding, and, if you want an aluminum manifold, get an aftermarket one that flows better for 10% the price. I certainly wouldn't spend ANY money making a clone out of it. Performance upgrades, sure, get the dual gate shifter if you like it, but I would not badge it as a W-30, nor would I buy parts that were W-30 only for it.
Amen.

Enjoy your car. I love love love a gold 442.
Old August 1st, 2021, 06:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Koda

I appreciate everyone expressing their thoughts. Got the car yesterday and am very happy with it. I will not make a clone out of it. I did order the dual gate shifter. Need to add a little R12, replace hinge pins on driver door. Plan to have lots of fun with my granddaughter!
Old August 1st, 2021, 08:52 AM

I appreciate everyone expressing their thoughts. Got the car yesterday and am very happy with it. I will not make a clone out of it. I did order the dual gate shifter. Need to add a little R12, replace hinge pins on driver door. Plan to have lots of fun with my granddaughter!
Thats a beautiful car, do with it what you want, its your car.. The opinions on the forum all have merit, especially if something is cloned perfectly it could be sold by someone someplace nefariously. But then again potential buyers should be well informed on buying rare cars such as W30 cars. I have a 66 442, I put a tricarb on it, thought about going the whole way with the it as far as the chrome air cleaner and tubes that run thru the front onto the bumper for ram air effect.. Only reason I didn’t was the fact I cannot justify spending 7-10,000 for a original breather as they do not reproduce them. Then another 2 grand for the repro kit to finish it out.. If it weren’t so damn expensive I would have done it despite anyone else’s opinion. My thought process was never to deceive anyone as is yours, however I can see how some members are skeptical of this or simply trying to protect the hobby from any further fraudulent vehicles down the road.. believe me there are plenty fraudulent vehicles sold all the time, especially in the corvette world.. Your car, your choice, however you will run into exactly what I ran into, cost effectiveness..enjoy that car as is or what ever you choose to do with it..one thing I wouldn’t do is grind the E to like like an F..definitely falls into the deceit category.

Last edited by Andy; August 1st, 2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old August 9th, 2021, 12:31 PM

Nice car. I agree that you should do whatever you want with it. My car is not a W-30 & is not numbers matching, but this is how the previous owner painted it. I was looking for a nice Cutlass convertible, but came across this real 442 painted & badged like a W-30 for a very good price. Why not. I did add red fender liners just to mess with people that were always looking. Whenever anyone asks, I am very clear that it is a 442, but it is not a W-30.
Old August 10th, 2021, 05:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Andylappin
Thats a beautiful car, do with it what you want, its your car.. The opinions on the forum all have merit, especially if something is cloned perfectly it could be sold by someone someplace nefariously. But then again potential buyers should be well informed on buying rare cars such as W30 cars. I have a 66 442, I put a tricarb on it, thought about going the whole way with the it as far as the chrome air cleaner and tubes that run thru the front onto the bumper for ram air effect.. Only reason I didn’t was the fact I cannot justify spending 7-10,000 for a original breather as they do not reproduce them. Then another 2 grand for the repro kit to finish it out.. If it weren’t so damn expensive I would have done it despite anyone else’s opinion. My thought process was never to deceive anyone as is yours, however I can see how some members are skeptical of this or simply trying to protect the hobby from any further fraudulent vehicles down the road.. believe me there are plenty fraudulent vehicles sold all the time, especially in the corvette world.. Your car, your choice, however you will run into exactly what I ran into, cost effectiveness..enjoy that car as is or what ever you choose to do with it..one thing I wouldn’t do is grind the E to like like an F..definitely falls into the deceit category.
Thanks!
Old August 10th, 2021, 05:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by QMaster
Nice car. I agree that you should do whatever you want with it. My car is not a W-30 & is not numbers matching, but this is how the previous owner painted it. I was looking for a nice Cutlass convertible, but came across this real 442 painted & badged like a W-30 for a very good price. Why not. I did add red fender liners just to mess with people that were always looking. Whenever anyone asks, I am very clear that it is a 442, but it is not a W-30.
Thanks!
Old August 10th, 2021, 05:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4+4+2=10

Enjoy your car,
tc
Thanks 442!
Old August 10th, 2021, 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=4+4+2=10;1359432]Beautiful car...you are off to a great start with it. We have a mixed bag as far as opinions on cloning round here. Please don't be offended, we would like you hang out with us. Koda has touched on a few things to consider. It really is fact that once cloned car leaves the cloner's possession the facts get foggy and eventually someone gets taken believing they are getting the real thing. One can even get a fake broadcast card made that makes it even tougher to tell. Cloning in this hobby is a slippery slope.

Enjoy your car,

A Boob Job…love it..lol.