The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New 442 owner

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2012, 12:43 PM

New 442 owner

Tomorrow I pick up my 1972 442. Can't wait.....pics to come.
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Welcome and pics are fully expected!
Old March 6th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site, and congratulations!!
Old March 7th, 2012, 03:34 PM

Well, I drove 8 hours to get this car and the thing had a bad tranny. Would not shift when hard acceleration was applied.

So 16 total hours of drive time for nothing......what a waste!
Old March 7th, 2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jump1979man
Well, I drove 8 hours to get this car and the thing had a bad tranny. Would not shift when hard acceleration was applied.

Sorry to hear that. But it might have been something simple like a vacume line or modulator. Anyways, a Turbo 400 or 350 is an easy trans to rebuild. A good kit is only around 2-$250.00. So he wouldn't knock a little off the price??

Last edited by ziff396; March 7th, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old March 7th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

A quick question. Is this a 350/350? If it is, the transmission shift linkage to the gas pedal may need to be re-adjusted. That's really easy and might be the only source of your problem.
Does the car shift normally from 1-2-3 under normal driving? It probably also will shift down if you pop the the selector from D to S? I had exactly the same problem with my car after I installed a new throttle cable. If this describes your problem, it's about a 2 minute fix.
Old March 7th, 2012, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
A quick question. Is this a 350/350? If it is, the transmission shift linkage to the gas pedal may need to be re-adjusted. That's really easy and might be the only source of your problem.
Does the car shift normally from 1-2-3 under normal driving? It probably also will shift down if you pop the the selector from D to S? I had exactly the same problem with my car after I installed a new throttle cable. If this describes your problem, it's about a 2 minute fix.
Exactly what I was thinking. Sounds like the kickback cable just wasn't activating when you were hitting the gas. Assuming it's a 350 tranny. I had the same exact problem when I first got my '68. The guy didn't even have the cable hooked up to the throttle. Two minute fix, five tops.
Old March 7th, 2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R

Yes, your scenerio sounds exactly how it was acting.

This was a 350/350.

When I took it for a drive I drove it down the block easy at about 20mph...turned the corner mashed the throttle and it got to 40 and wouldnt shift....sounded like hitting redline of rpms.....kinda had a smell of burning rubber too but that could have been the belts slipping, no biggie.

So I let off and tried it again...same thing. So I did try the pop to 'S' and it did shift at that point.

The guy told me that the person he bought it from had rebuilt the tranny so Im thinking well its not right so after only driving it a few blocks I turned around and took it back to the seller.

Told him the info and said he should drive it to see what Im experiencing. Thats when he gingerly drove it down the block and I witnessed it shifting norming under casual acceleration. I told him he needed to mash the pedal to experience it and he did a little bit and he said he thought it was a carb issue.....I was like WHAT? Anyway at least he could see something wasnt right.

So he was like he will take it to a mechanic buddy of his to look into it. Im like whatever, and a little irritated because of the distance I drove.

As some background info, this was an Ebay sale......

The guy apparently buys and sells cars and parts....this wasnt his personal ride but rather a flip...

Seller also didnt title it in his name from when he purchased it, so that was an issue.

Keys only worked for ignition and trunk, not doors.

Motor had a slight leak of oil. Not anything major but still. None of this was noted in the Ebay listing btw....

Seller in the listing noted only the positives like having the W-29 package, and then said one minor thing about the bumpers chrome not being the best which would have been ok in my eyes. Also said the headliner needed stretched which it did.

The car was a 20 footer for sure.....paint was not the best but still looked good at a distance, probably a little bondo Im assuming in places. May have had a vinyl top at one point, or something was a bit off because the top chrome that encases the side windows was painted black and the inside and underside of it looked as if it was rusty then painted over.

Overall I considered it a good deal when I won the auction for the price I was paying but after all these issues popped up once I arrived it just seemed a bit fishy to me.

How would he not know the keys wouldnt work on the doors? How would he not know the car wouldnt shift at hard acceleration? and then the title issue....oh he also didnt tell me that it didnt have any seatbelts.

All in all, Im out a few hundred bucks for gas, mileage on my truck and a wasted day. If it was just an easy fix, I guess the other issues could have made it a bad buy in the end. Im pretty sad over it. It looked awfully cool pulling up to it in the driveway. At $9,000.00 I knew I wasnt getting a show car which was fine by me I just wanted something that was a reliable fun driver and something I wouldnt have to invesst a ton of money into just to break even when the time came to sell myself.

Ill never know I guess, I just expected to be told everything up front before making the trip. I think if I had been told about all the other little things the tranny issue might not have been the breaking point of me thinking maybe Im getting swindled.

It was more of an issue of thinking what else am I not being told about....
Old March 7th, 2012, 06:25 PM

Yes, your scenerio sounds exactly how it was acting.

This was a 350/350.

When I took it for a drive I drove it down the block easy at about 20mph...turned the corner mashed the throttle and it got to 40 and wouldnt shift....sounded like hitting redline of rpms.....kinda had a smell of burning rubber too but that could have been the belts slipping, no biggie.

So I let off and tried it again...same thing. So I did try the pop to 'S' and it did shift at that point.

The guy told me that the person he bought it from had rebuilt the tranny so Im thinking well its not right so after only driving it a few blocks I turned around and took it back to the seller.

Told him the info and said he should drive it to see what Im experiencing. Thats when he gingerly drove it down the block and I witnessed it shifting norming under casual acceleration. I told him he needed to mash the pedal to experience it and he did a little bit and he said he thought it was a carb issue.....I was like WHAT? Anyway at least he could see something wasnt right.

So he was like he will take it to a mechanic buddy of his to look into it. Im like whatever, and a little irritated because of the distance I drove.

As some background info, this was an Ebay sale......

The guy apparently buys and sells cars and parts....this wasnt his personal ride but rather a flip...

Seller also didnt title it in his name from when he purchased it, so that was an issue.

Keys only worked for ignition and trunk, not doors.

Motor had a slight leak of oil. Not anything major but still. None of this was noted in the Ebay listing btw....

Seller in the listing noted only the positives like having the W-29 package, and then said one minor thing about the bumpers chrome not being the best which would have been ok in my eyes. Also said the headliner needed stretched which it did.

The car was a 20 footer for sure.....paint was not the best but still looked good at a distance, probably a little bondo Im assuming in places. May have had a vinyl top at one point, or something was a bit off because the top chrome that encases the side windows was painted black and the inside and underside of it looked as if it was rusty then painted over.

Overall I considered it a good deal when I won the auction for the price I was paying but after all these issues popped up once I arrived it just seemed a bit fishy to me.

How would he not know the keys wouldnt work on the doors? How would he not know the car wouldnt shift at hard acceleration? and then the title issue....oh he also didnt tell me that it didnt have any seatbelts.

All in all, Im out a few hundred bucks for gas, mileage on my truck and a wasted day. If it was just an easy fix, I guess the other issues could have made it a bad buy in the end. Im pretty sad over it. It looked awfully cool pulling up to it in the driveway. At $9,000.00 I knew I wasnt getting a show car which was fine by me I just wanted something that was a reliable fun driver and something I wouldnt have to invesst a ton of money into just to break even when the time came to sell myself.

Ill never know I guess, I just expected to be told everything up front before making the trip. I think if I had been told about all the other little things the tranny issue might not have been the breaking point of me thinking maybe Im getting swindled.

It was more of an issue of thinking what else am I not being told about....
hmm, I miss understood your original post. I thought when you mashed the gas it was down shifting and giving you acceleration, but just staying in the higher gear. My bad... lol
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes, your scenerio sounds exactly how it was acting. This was a 350/350.
The 350 tranny is a good one. It doesn't use a modulator like the 400 though. The downshift linkage is direct to the gas pedal. That is an incredibly minor fix. All it needs is a set of pliers to pull the check ball and wire out of the downshift tube. Then you mash the pedal to the metal and it automatically sets to the proper distance. It's so easy it's not funny. Incidentally it will shift normally under no load. The downshift is only for load conditions. When you're only going 20mph though and mash it, it will scream into first gear. You might have been smelling the leaky oil? If a trans was just rebuilt it shouldn't be that. Chances are the cowl lacing is missing on the car, which would allow engine off gasses to vent into the cabin air intakes.

Keys only worked for ignition and trunk, not doors......
Well that means one of 2 things.
1. You used the wrong key in the door? If you used the trunk key in the doors, it's guaranteed not to work.
2. He replaced the doors or he replaced the door locksets. Here's why: The ignition key is also the door key. BTW the trunk key is also the glove box door lock key.

Motor had a slight leak of oil. Not anything major but still. None of this was noted in the Ebay listing btw.......
Totally normal. Most engines will develop a leak at some time. Sellers aren't going to highlight the weak points to sell a car - they will focus you on what they think makes the car worth the money. Do you know what to look for on a W29 package? It's not just the striping on the hood and side of the car. That's also another reason why you need to research what you want to buy better. No offence but it sounds like you're pretty young. I was too at one time - back when these cars were new. Ask questions before you buy - and don't be forced into a sale just because it's an ebay auction with 'limited time left'. Sellers will use that to their advantage.

Ill never know I guess, I just expected to be told everything up front before making the trip.
So I guess that means you don't have the car? What is the seller doing to make this right, or are you even interested in it anymore? If it comes up for sale again, post us a link so we can look and see what got away, if anything.
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:53 PM

The smell was burnt rubber not oil.

I never tried the keys myself, the seller told me they didn't work for the doors and that he just found this out this morning before I showed up. Remember, he is flipping this car and apparently just bought this car within the past year from what he told me. Never transferred the title into his name.

Engine leaks may or may not be normal which is irrelevant....the point is he should have had that be stated in the ad or at least told me on the phone when I called him personally 2 days before the end of the auction and before I even bid on it.

Btw, I'm 33 years old and have owned several vehicles......my last toy was a 2002 Corvette Z06. I'm no expert on cars but am far from naive....I know exactly what the W29 package consisted of and made sure the car had it. In fact that was the portion of the sale that I was most worried about not being accurate when I showed up.

It was fishy plain and simple, so no I never bought it. I'm sure regardless of what the tranny issue is he will have it listed for sale again and someone out of state will buy it and he will just sell it sight unseen to the next guy.
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:01 PM

Btw, the car supposedly only had 59k miles.....He is supposedly going to take it into the shop to check into the shifting issue. I told him to call me if he gets it fixed but, with everything else that was just told to me once I arrived I doubt my mind will change.

It will be a surprise to me if he calls. That would be pretty telling if he doesn't, right?

Oh his son also does body work supposedly.....and he is a parts guy as stated to me by him......with the way the car looked, it was like it was a half assed resto to flip and make a quick buck.
Old March 8th, 2012, 05:01 AM

Welcome to the forum , I'm sure most of us have gone through similar (I just did last sunday) but brighter days to come , you'l find the right car soon .
Old March 8th, 2012, 06:27 AM

If the deal did not "feel" right it was probably best to walk away. Keep looking and the right car will come along. Still more of a buyer's market so it pays to be picky. All old cars have issues so the seller (I prefer owners over dealers) should be up front on the good and bad.

Not sure what research you have done, but in '72 the 442 was really just a trim & suspension package. Could be ordered with any motor so they do not command the value of the earlier 442's. I've had my Cutlass just under a year and have learned a ton here. Search the forum and ask questions!
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:51 PM

I did very extensive research on cutlass and the 442.

In fact I read through every page on this forum for each section. I also looked at every ad for sale page to get an idea of value. I also read tons on the 442 forum along with a few other forums. I searched carsonline.com to compare.....I've done my homework and probably know more than half the members on this site just from everything I have read.

Now it's all for nothing, haha....oh well it was fun and exciting thinking I was getting this car.

I just got a message from the seller via eBay......

He is telling me he is taking the car into the shop today to fix the issue but wants to know if I'm still going to be interested in the car but at a higher price since he is going to put more money into it? He is asking what my budget is and telling me that I originally got it at a fair price and come spring prices will rise.

So he thinks he will try to squeeze more money out of me...HA!

I told him no and I wasted $200+ in gas driving to him.

My only decision now is whether to leave him negative feedback or neutral?
Old March 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I'm sure you'll find a car that is right eventually. Sounds like you did all the right things. Sorry if my earlier post upset you - not intended that way. Flippers always low ball sellers and high ball potential buyers - but you know that. He'll probably sell it to someone who's not as diligent as you were. 59K original? If I was buying I'd sure want proof of that. Would make me wonder what went wrong with the trans.

Good luck in your quest.
Old March 8th, 2012, 05:04 PM

Based on your description, I'm assuming this is the car you're referring to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1423.l2649

I was looking at this car when it was listed and it actually sounded like a decent deal. I did notice that it had 70 door panels and the headlight bezels were not correct neither of which is a big deal but it does make you wonder especially on a 59K car. Also, this seller has some negative feedback on previous sales and 85% is not a real good rating. This same guy seems to have a different Oldsmobile listed every week! Anyway, despite that, I probably would have taken a look for that price if I was closer so don't feel too bad about your misadventure!

Last edited by scott_442; March 8th, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old March 8th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by scott_442
Based on your description, I'm assuming this is the car you're referring to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1423.l2649

I was looking at this car when it was listed and it actually sounded like a decent deal. I did notice that it had 70 door panels and the headlight bezels were not correct
Thx for the link. I also noticed that. Kind of fits the bill of why the ignition key wouldn't fit in the door. Whoever replaced the doors though seems to have found some excellent donors. They don't show any rust at all. The hood insulation is also missing.

Did see a puddle of something by the RR wheel...
Old March 8th, 2012, 05:38 PM

Yeah, the closer you look the more you see...I guess that's also what the buyer found out. The rear view mirror is also incorrect for 72.
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:13 PM

Yes, that's the one.

Would you leave negative feedback on this if you were me?

I'm sure if I do, he will leave me negative feedback as well even though I did everything perfect.
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes, that's the one.

Would you leave negative feedback on this if you were me?
I'm sure if I do, he will leave me negative feedback as well even though I did everything perfect.
I just went back and re-read the whole ad. His wording is very careful to exclude any issues the car has. If you leave negative feedback, what are you going to say? It has to be something that you can document in writing and unfortunately there's nothing in the ad or pics that will back you up except minor trim issues - which can easily be fixed. If feedback is important, leave neutral.
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:53 PM

Technically, you committed to buying the car when you won the auction. So, I'd be careful slinging too much mud. At a minimum, I'd let him know how you feel (if you haven't already) which might cause him to be more concise in his next posting. Good Luck with your search.