The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New 1968 Olds 98 Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2010, 08:25 AM
1968 98 Town Sedan

New 1968 Olds 98 Owner Questions

I've just purchased a '68 98 Town Sedan, which is a great driver but is getting new paint and top this week. I've tried locating parts sources online, but they are mostly focused on 442s and Cutlasses. I want to replace the weatherstripping at some point - any sources for this? I'd also like to find a passenger side manual mirror - is the standard manual mirror for the 98 the same as for other models (the driver's side one is oval shaped). The car runs and stops fine, but are there any issues I should be aware of or problem areas I should watch out for? Thanks for any info. I've had my share of classic cars but this is my first GM classic - for now.
Old September 12th, 2010, 01:34 PM

hello Craig ,

welcome to the forum , for parts just take a look to www.fusick.com great guys to deal with , you can downloud there catalog free .

belgium greetz

marc
Old September 12th, 2010, 01:34 PM

Nice looking 98. I see that it's Sapphire Blue. looks like you have 15' wheels since the wheel covers look like they're from a 69 Olds. 14" wheels were standard in 1968 and 15" were optional. I beleive that 15" wheels became standard in 1969.
There are some good suppliers for full sized Oldsmobiles such as Fusick, Kanter, and USA Parts Supply. All have online catalogues. Rock Auto also has lots.
I have a 68 Delta Custom, which shares many parts with your car. If you look on Ebay, you will find many sources. I've only had my car for 18 months so I'm sure that there are many on this forum who have had more experience than me. There are some very helpful people on this forum every day.
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:08 PM
1968 98 Town Sedan

Yes, the 98 does have 15" wheels and I was wondering what year the hubcaps were from since they don't appear on any '68 Olds ads. The odd thing is that the previous owner purchased two sets of identical hubcaps - four were still in the trunk in individual GM boxes, though I'm not certain they're NOS. Sadly, only drum brakes are on those wheels, though I've been told by a few locals that there's nothing wrong with the big drum brakes. I do have a travel trailer that I may want to tow with the 98 someday, so at that time I might rethink a disc brake conversion

And yes, the car is Sapphire Blue. The vinyl top is aftermarket and I'm having it redone. At first I was disappointed to learn that the top isn't original, but at least that means no huge rust issues as is typical (though there was a little rust around the rear window that is being fixed).

I'll check out the vendor websites. Most all I've checked out don't have much for full-size models. I can already tell that weatherstripping will be difficult, if not impossible, to find. I read that the 1968 98 and Electra 225 share the same body, more or less, so that might help. I've wondered about the '68 DeVille as well for rubber. The auto upholstery guy who's redoing the roof said generic will work as a last resort.

Thanks for all the good info! I'll post more pix after the car is painted and the new roof installed this week.
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:41 PM

Have you tried Steele Rubber Products.
www.steelrubber.com/hl
Old September 12th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Past Administrator

Really nice looking car, welcome to CO.
Old September 12th, 2010, 06:22 PM
1968 98 Town Sedan

Thanks, this is the best running classic I've ever owned without having to do a load of mechanical work first. I'm looking forward to many years of motoring (and showing off) enjoyment with my "new" Ninety-Eight.