The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Need help on a W30

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Need help on a W30

Hi, I am currently in the market for an original 1970 442 W30 though I've seen the sales prices vary greatly mostly due to the fact that they are not 100% original. What should should a 100% original 70' W30 be valued at in fully restored condition?
Old October 28th, 2010, 01:24 PM

In this economy, value and selling price are pretty far apart!
$40k to $100k, depending on the options, finished quality, and the restorers reputation.
There are some crooks out there re-stamping blocks, clones, etc. so you'd better be well educated on the W-30 designations and part numbers before you go looking.
Some guys go looking and fall in love with a car, only to get it home and find they've purchased a clone bondo-bucket with frame damage!
"Looked good, didn't notice, and didn't know the difference" are some of the things I've heard from ones "ripped off"!
It's worth it to pay someone who knows their cars to come with you -
Example:
A good friend flew me to Kansas City, Ka. to look at a black '57 Eldo Barritz Convert, and a red '55 Nomad w/air!
Both were perfect - Cad had been in a museum for 25 yrs. - Nomad was factory air!
Although the Cad was black in nitrocelluelos laquer, as per the body plate, 3yrs. later he pulled the heater box on the firewall, and beneath it it was BRONZE!!
In checking it out, it was determined the car was disassembled and painted at the dealer, while new, as it came in the wrong color ordered! How the plate was correct is anyones guess!
No problems with the Nomad!
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Thanks

I have already found what I beleive to be an authentic w30 WITH AC too and have been intensly focused on my investigation and after speaking with reliable resources they have confirmed it is an original. My primary concern was a healthy profit if I decide to sell it in the future. Alot of the W machines are less than original or not original at all as you know and many of the cars listed for sale I have found on various sites for are suspect to me primarily because of their low asking price. Furthermore I cannot nail down a true value on any of the appraisal sites I have visited because they are also widely ranged even though I am entering specific options that the car has.

Any other comments or help on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:06 PM

convertibles demand more than hardtops, 4-speeds demand more than automatics. Sometimes the more options the more the asking price. Many hardtops seem to have less options while most convertibles I have seen come pretty loaded. I think the only option limited to a W car is the W27 all aluminum rear end as you could only get that on a W30, W31 or W32 car. Most other options you order on any car. You definitely need to know what you are looking for. Documentation helps tremendously but also adds to the price. Then again even if it is documented it may not have the correct parts and those have gotten very expensive as of late - carb, heads, intake etc.
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:10 PM

Is it a hardtop, what trans does it have - what options does it have? Some options don't seem like much but are very rare. My car has shoulder belts for the front passenger and its a convertible. I have only seen one other 442 convertible with those and no other W30 with it. Does that make the car worth any more - no, not in my opinion just a cool rare option but my W27 does add to the value. Some folks will say a hardtop with no options would be worth more than a fully loaded hardtop - all depends.
Old October 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by booker442
...My primary concern was a healthy profit if I decide to sell it in the future...
And herein lies the problem...
Old October 28th, 2010, 06:39 PM

I guess if "in the future" is 10 or 20 years from now the profit may be there. given that sales are in the 30 to 40% of two years ago you best be thinking long term if you are looking for a healthy profit. a buddy of mine just sold his 68 Camaro convertible that was perfect and had not been driven since completion. it sold for $64,000. he had nearly $130K in it so the market was not so good to him.
Old October 28th, 2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
And herein lies the problem...
(Glad I wasn't the only one that cringed when I read that.)

I guess you won't be driving your new car any then?

I'm not saying these number mean anything but I looked at Barret-Jackson's website and it looks like hardtop w-30's were selling for $20k-$40K about five years ago. Two to three years ago they say some were selling for ~$60K. And just this past year there is a listing for one at $80K.

Convertibles on the the other hand started at $80k and have climbed to more like $150K.

-yawn-
Old October 28th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO.
Old October 28th, 2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Coltonis

Convertibles on the the other hand started at $80k and have climbed to more like $150K.

-yawn-
not in this market - 150k I'd take that.