The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Need help with cowl tag codes

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2014, 06:14 PM

Post Need help with cowl tag codes

I spent the day verifying vin, codes, etc. I have posted pictures of my VIN, cowl tag, and door tag in my album. The car was built in October 1969. The engine ID agrees with the VIN. There are codes on the cowl tag for which I can't find information. Specifically, what does the code TR Z937 mean. I'm sure the 37 is the interior color because that matches the interior. What does the Z9 mean? Paint code is shown as -A. I don't know if that is a special code for reef turquoise or not but the original paint is reef turquoise. I've checked in the hard-to-paint areas and can see the turquoise overspray. The time code of OD also has me stumped.
Somebody changed to G heads at sometime in the past. I don't have any history for the car but maybe they wanted the lower compression G heads so they could use unleaded gas.
The T400 has the correct code OG M40. I can't see the axle code because there's too much undercoating on it. I'll try to scrape the right area and find the code. It is supposedly an anti-slip diff but after finding that the heads were replaced, I'm skeptical of the seller's claims. More to follow.....Tadpole11
Old August 6th, 2014, 06:26 PM

The 937 is the interior code. It's tells you whether it's bucket or bench and the color. You need to check your assembly manual

There's been a bunch of threads on the Z code on the cowl tag. No one seems to have solved it yet

I looked at your cowl tag pic I'm betting your 0D is a 10D and the "1" wasn't struck hard enough.

edit:

937 is Ivory Bucket Seat interior in 70

Page 21 of this pdf:

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...8/70_Sec_0.pdf

Last edited by allyolds68; August 6th, 2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old August 6th, 2014, 06:34 PM

It would be a lot easier to provide help if you put the relevant pics in the thread.

1970 442: the tag looks a bit beat/sanded/worked/massaged
TRIM Z937: = 937 = "ivory bucket seats" (I recall the "Z" being mentioned before, but for what, I don't know?)
PAINT ___A: A = "white vinyl top"
_0D: 10D = October 4th week build