The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

My car...

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2009, 06:35 PM

My car...

Gonna take another members advice and tell about my car to get the post count up so I can go to other areas of the forum.

Well lets begin, the morning of march 28 I became the proud owner of a 74 cutlass s 128,000 miles automatic tranny, black, just a few scratches on the paint. Took it out for a spin, very impressed with how it ran for the age of the car, plus it looked like the plugs and wires had never been changed. I fell in love with the 350 olds that morning, the sbc in my truck just isnt the same..

Evening march 28

Got t boned, Bout to make me cry... that car was sooo beatifull, I pushed me up on a bank, front end took out stop sign and 2 street signs, part of chainlink fence set in concrete, and part of a wooden fence. Soo a new passanger door, header panel, grille, bumper, radiator, fan, fanshroud, and a few lights are needed to get it back into shape, I think I can fix the fenders. But they are very rough now...

Lesson learned 17 + (insurance calls it a muscle car) + wreck = very high insurance

Plans

Body-Well for starters I am going to get the body fixed asap, then repainting. Going to get it redone in black. Probably going to remove the crome strips going down the sides of the body, and the wierd little chrome mudflaps. And the hood just doesnt look right, might ad a small scoop or vents, but something has to change. And I have been toying with the idea of a custom grille, I have access to a plasma cutter, so I could make about anything imaginable.

Moter/drivetrain- My goal for the motor is as much as nessacary to pop a small wheelie, small as in 1-2 feet would make me perfectly happy, Any ideas on this? Would that even be possible with a small block? I know I would have to change the R&P gears. Probably going to put a 4 speed in it, if i can find a bellhousing and clutch linkage. Also a posi rear end. been thinking about a custom exhaust system a friend and I came up with, headers coming back into an x pipe, on each pipe from the x pipe a flowmaster 40 or 44 with single inlet dual outlets, then taking the pipe from the mufflers and bringing them out right infront of the rear wheels and putting dual tips on each so it appears that I have 4 pipes coming out each side.

Interior- Is blue, almsot everyone who has seen it says it is beatiful, but I just dont like the particular shade. So hopefully the whole interior will be redone, the dash especially, I dont like having oil and and temp lights, I want gauges, I like to know how my vehicle is running, plus a tach. The bench seats have got to go, buckets are definately going to be put in. New carpet, might put that noise/heat insulation stuff (cant remember the name) in when I do that. Definately a stereo system, I love my music, no I dont want some 200million watts thing, just a good system that doesnt clash with the rest of the interior.

Suspension is going to be redone, live where you have to cross 4 rather large mountains to get to the closest wall mart, and they way it corners wont work well, Any suggestions on suspensions? Planning to put 15x10 or maybe wider on the rear, 15x7's or so on the front.

Well I think thats about all my ramblings for this evening.Thankfully I have alot of freinds who like nothing better than an opportunity to work on an older car.
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:16 AM

Bad news about the wreck. Sounds like you going to put her back together better then new. Good luck with the repairs and new stuff
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:21 AM

Dang, not even 24 hrs, sorry to hear that. I had a 73 I think those body styles are very cool, good luck getting it back on the road.
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Past Administrator

That is really rotten luck but sounds like you are bouncing back on that one so good luck!