The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Keep 72 455 Rocket original?

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2013, 06:42 AM

Keep 72 455 Rocket original?

Hello,

This is my first post, so I'm hoping that you all could give me some advice. I recently acquired from my late grandfather a 1972 Olds Cutlass Supreme with a 455 Rocket. The car is all original as of right now and only has 10,900 miles and is in really good shape. The only issues are the exhaust with some heavy rust that need to be replaced, and some rust on along the frame that needs to be cleaned up.

My question is should I put a high performance flowmaster exhaust system on the car with headers, or should I just put on a normal exahust system and try and keep the car in original state? Will putting on high performance parts decrease the value of the vehicle?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old May 29th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Welcome, post some pic's when you get a chance.

10,900 miles, wow! The exhaust is not going to make or break the value of your car. Performance parts are all bolt on items, so save all the originals if you or future owners want to return it to stock. There are so many threads about mufflers and exhaust systems that a quick search will yield a lot of info.

I personally do not like flowmasters, I have Walker's on mime.
Old May 29th, 2013, 07:19 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Welcome aboard Sounds like you have either a U code (455/automatic) OR V code (455/manual) transmission. That would be the 5th digit in the VIN. As rare as these are and with the extremely low mileage, personally I would keep it original as possible. Pics are mandatory now that you have our attention
Old May 29th, 2013, 07:22 AM

Welcome to CO

X-2 on the the comments above. Fix the exhaust, check all rubber parts, fuel lines, radiator hoses, brake lines, vacuum hoses, etc. Age is a killer of these. Also tires have the same problem they crack on the side walls if original and are not safe to drive on.

Post some pictures so we can see your ride
Old May 29th, 2013, 08:27 AM

Thanks everyone, it is an Automatic, and has power windows and seat. I posted a pick in my album and will work on posting more as I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
455 Rocket-2.JPG (39.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg
Rocket Side View.JPG (41.8 KB, 64 views)
Old May 29th, 2013, 08:40 AM

It's not a 442, or W30 so do what you want to do with it.

Agree that Flowmasters are just a little too loud. Walker would be good with the stock look you have, plus it would sound much nicer and smoother.... but with a good rumble. Definitely do duals though.
Old May 29th, 2013, 08:58 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by NHolds
It's not a 442, or W30 so do what you want to do with it.

Agree that Flowmasters are just a little too loud. Walker would be good with the stock look you have, plus it would sound much nicer and smoother.... but with a good rumble. Definitely do duals though.
But it is a U code which made up of only roughly 3% of the total production of a 1972 Cutlass Supreme Great pics. Is it column shifted or floor shifted? Dual exhaust was standard if you ordered the big block on A-bodied cars in '72.
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:02 AM

So would the Walker Exhaust/Univeral Turbo Muffler suffice? Also, what is everyone's thoughts on buying a catback system, versus just going to a shop and having them fabricate the pipes and installing witht the mufflers?
Thanks again for eveyrone's replies.
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:06 AM
delete

If it was mine I would do duals off the manifolds and skip the flowmasters. A car with such low miles and such pedigree should bemaintained close to stock condition. They are very droney inside the car. I have stainless steel Magnaflows and are very happy with them.
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:07 AM

It is column shifted and yeah it has Dual exhaust.
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by NHolds
It's not a 442, or W30 so do what you want to do with it. <snip> Definitely do duals though.
Nice car! A very small percentage of the '72 Supremes were 455s, so if you swap out any bolt-on components, keep the originals as noted above. These cars are only original and low-mileage once - that definitely has value.

As a U code car, it should have dual exhaust on it already, so the new configuration will be about the same. I also agree that the Walkers (Dynomax?) would be the way to go for mufflers, and I'd probably keep the W/Z manifolds instead of headers for a street-driven car with a stock 455. I have Flowmaster 40s on my '72 455/M20 Supreme and on my '72 Chevy truck. Even with a stock 283 in the truck, that thing is really loud at open throttle.

Terry
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Administrator

You don't have a cat. There's a lot to be said for a custom exhaust by a quality shop. I have a guy here local that is a true artist when it comes to exhaust. Is yours a single exhaust now? What are your plans for performance enhancers?
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kirk455
So would the Walker Exhaust/Univeral Turbo Muffler suffice? Also, what is everyone's thoughts on buying a catback system, versus just going to a shop and having them fabricate the pipes and installing witht the mufflers?
On a '72, there are no catalytic converters, so a cat-back system doesn't exist. Header-back, yes. If you have a shop nearby that can do mandrel bends (no kinks in the inner pipes to impede flow), then there's really nothing wrong with that. Most muffler shops have the templates to replicate vintage systems. Make sure they copy the tailpipe tip angle and length (below the bumper) of the original system precisely. That's one place I've had muffler shops get it wrong in the past....
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

There's nothing wrong with a quality shop-bent system, however I think a custom-bent system will be more expensive than a pre-bent one. There are LOTS of 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust systems available for the A-body cars. Pypes Exhaust is my personal favorite, but there are others. Most are header-back systems, but Pypes sells downpipes that connect to the Olds factory manifolds.
Again, I would recommend the Walker Dynomax turbo mufflers, not "universals".
Old May 30th, 2013, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There's nothing wrong with a quality shop-bent system, however I think a custom-bent system will be more expensive than a pre-bent one. There are LOTS of 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust systems available for the A-body cars. Pypes Exhaust is my personal favorite, but there are others. Most are header-back systems, but Pypes sells downpipes that connect to the Olds factory manifolds.
Again, I would recommend the Walker Dynomax turbo mufflers, not "universals".
What are your thoughts on California Turbo mufflers?
Old May 30th, 2013, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You don't have a cat. There's a lot to be said for a custom exhaust by a quality shop. I have a guy here local that is a true artist when it comes to exhaust. Is yours a single exhaust now? What are your plans for performance enhancers?
No real plans yet other than the exhaust becuase I know that needs fixed. What would be some of the first things to upgrade on car to give it some more power? I am new to this whole thing so I don't want to go crazy overhauling the engine or anything. I probably will just leave it as it is for now, but I'm just looking for ideas.
Thanks for your help
Old May 30th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

What are your thoughts on California Turbo mufflers?
My only personal experience is with Walker Dynomax 14" turbos and Magnaflow.
Old May 30th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Very nice ride! I agree with the post that said a good exhaust bender is an artist, they hit that nail on the head...they can see the system before its even done, in their mind and can twist and turn the parts into a real work of exhaust art. Nothing wrong with custom as long as you, as stated before, keep the original parts that are worthy of saving.

Great find, good for you!!!!
Old May 30th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Administrator

No real plans yet other than the exhaust becuase I know that needs fixed. What would be some of the first things to upgrade on car to give it some more power? I am new to this whole thing so I don't want to go crazy overhauling the engine or anything. I probably will just leave it as it is for now, but I'm just looking for ideas.
Thanks for your help
I'm a big fan of the Walker Dynomax turbo mufflers, pretty mellow at idle and cruise, but sound great when you open it up. I would personalize your car as you see fit. Scan the internet and car shows and see what you like, then make your own changes. My tastes may differ from yours dramatically on what I like or dislike. You have a blank canvas there with a lot of potential there is no right or wrong.

How about some underhood and interior shots.
Old May 30th, 2013, 01:34 PM

I think you should get an exhaust installed at a local shop. There is a guy near me that I use for all of my exhaust work. His prices are reasonable and he does excellent work. Even if I had an A or G body I would still use him instead of ordering a pre-bent exhaust.

Instead of Dynomax, Walker, or OE mufflers I think you should put glasspacks on it. I have 2 45" Thrush glasspacks on my 71 98 with 455. It is loud as hell (the way it should be)!

FWIW, I don't think it is worthwhile to try to keep a car orignial. None of us are Jay Leno so what is the point? I've seen people fighting before over chalk marks, overspray patterns, and whether or not rubber flaps are folded this way or that way. It is all a waste of time in my book.
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:22 PM

Since it already has duals, the local muffler shop of high standings can copy what you have. I would use a 2.5 sys and the Walker dynomax muffler as has been noted.
My '68 has the Magnaflow stainless mufflers and I hate the sound. To me it sounds like it is gurgling with water all the time. To me it has a drone while driving under light throttle. But that is me and they are on the list to get replaced.

Gene
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm currently in Illinois and the car has been in Ohio since Memorial day. I had all the fluids changed and the exhaust fixed while I have been gone. It only needed the mufflers replaced since the pipes were in good shape. I'll be driving it back this weekend if the weather is good. I will post more pics of the inside and the engine then.