The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Just another newbie!

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:22 PM
The Tin Man

Just another newbie!

Hello everyone. I thank you all for letting me join this cool looking site. I did not start in the newbie part. I got very excited and went right for the cars for sale. It made me wish I had hit the lottery and could buy alot of those cars. But anyway I love to restore cars and putz on them. Not just Oldsmobiles (I hope they won't kick me off for saying that ha ha) So I will look around and try to see how to figure this thing out (the site and the computer) Thanks for looking and send me a note.
The Tin Man
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:39 AM

Welcome to CO

We don't mind that you work or own other cars. Just that Olds are the best in our minds
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Cutlass Lover

Yeah, what he said!!!
Old October 16th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Hello and welcome

Claudia&me own quiet a few nice cars.It doesn`t need a hit in the lottery.It needs modesty in our lifestyle and a lot of humbleness in the old technik that is still working.We spend lots of time to find cheep parts in the bay and elsewhere in the net.Disziplin to keep the cars as original as possible is a hard liability.It makes me proud to find an original exhaust clip even there are hundreds others which could do the same job well.
Our pumpkins are low price classics We where dreaming on them many years ago.Now we are over 40 and just do IT.No hollydays,no high tech kitchen,no trade cloth(sometimes via ebay)etc.All that stuff can`t give what we need and want.FEELING FREE is possible in one of the cars.
Sooo,thats it.Hope there is not to much polemic in my whatever.

Martin
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Past Administrator

Martin, you have a good outlook on life. Good words of wisdom.

Tin Man, welcome to CO. So are you looking to buy a car or do you already own an Oldsmobile? Either way, we are glad to have you here with us.
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:06 PM
The Tin Man

Well it's great that I have received 4 nice messages Thanks!
Dan-- Oh, I am looking for Oldsmobiles every waking hour of the day. I do own 2 and a half. I have a 59 Dynamic 88 4 door flat top, a 71 Royale conv that is on my rotisserie right now hoping to be done by spring. Then the half is a 71 Royale conv owned by my dad that he bought new and has never been touched with 44,000 miles on it.
Martin-- hey do you ever run across a 66 Deville over there? I sold one a few years ago. THey said they were shipping it to Europe
Cutlassgal -- hey nice looking car!
Thanks Pat-- I do own and restore other cars but my heart has belonged to Olds for as long as I can rember.
Tin Man
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Welcome to the forum
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Captain of my ship

welcome

always good to have a new member who's (car) heart is in the right place.........with oldsmobile
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:45 PM
The Tin Man

Thank You Tony and Wolfman That is a nice looking ship Tin man
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Captain of my ship

Thanks , like any ship she takes awhile to slow and turn around being 19' long finding a parking spot in a crowded shopping mall is a challenge. She doesn't squeeze in to them tight spots , I usually find two spots and park in the middle
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:51 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

citcapp gets excited when someone with something besides an A body joins up.
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:55 PM
The Tin Man

Thank You Jamesbo That a great looking H/O Wolfman98 I can't think of what I would need at the shoping mall that I would drive that beautiful drop top there Tin Man
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:15 AM
Captain of my ship

There is an auto parts place that I dropped into a couple days ago and had to park quite a ways from the store but I found a place where I could straddle 4 spots. The car is so long the spots are too short so I will pull into the one in front as well and on this day I parked in the middle 2-wide and 2-long Nobody seemed to mind and when I came out of the store i had a couple of older guys standing by the car looking at it. Took me another 15 minutes to leave cause they loved to talk.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:06 AM

Welcome Aboard Tin Man.And good luck with your projects.Like most of these people all old tin holds a place in my heart however my true love is Oldsmobile. One can never own enough antique cars no matter the make.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:30 PM
The Tin Man

Hey Thanks Bulldog nice cutlass. You will have your day. Wolfman98 Ok if it was the parts store lol. 4 spots? are the spots smaller because of the metric system? I Know bad joke Ha Ha. sorry Tin Man
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:09 AM
Past Administrator

Sorry I missed your answer to my question Tin man. That flat top sounds interesting, any more info or pictures?
Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:28 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by The Tin Man
Hey Thanks Bulldog nice cutlass. You will have your day. Wolfman98 Ok if it was the parts store lol. 4 spots? are the spots smaller because of the metric system? I Know bad joke Ha Ha. sorry Tin Man
Metric spots Actually they are making spots smaller these days. when they built this new place 3 years ago they did not have a real large area for parking and it seems that spots are smaller and shorter with the lane for driving inbetween a lot narrower. The first time I parked there in the Olds i tried to fit into a spot where there was a car on the other end. when I got out and looked the rear of the car was hanging out in the drive lane I went around to a place farther away where i could occupy 2 spots end to end. The next time I went I found a spot were I could take up 4 spots and so I did
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
The Tin Man

If you're interested in the '59, it is probably the same size, if not larger, than your car. (Think parking - lol!) I'd be happy to post some pictures... umm... if someone could tip me off on how to do that here. I haven't been able to figure it out.
About the car... the dash says 50,000 miles. I would almost have to believe it because it runs so well, does not smoke or knock. The interior is very dry rotted, the bumpers are pitted, it is sporting its original paint, which I believe is called Desert Mist. It is a solid car. Like I said in the ad, it has been sitting for most of its life. I drive it down the road occasionally, the brakes come and go. The emergency brake works, all of the lights seem to work, but it is a project car. It is all there, just waiting for someone with more time than me. I figure if I haven't done anything with it in 20 years, I probably never will. The car deserves better than that, and besides, I'd like it out of my garage Would you happen to know when would be an appropriate time for a newbie like myself to post a Pontiac Convertable for sale. Being a newbie, I don't want to be put in front of a firing squad for mentioning "brand X." But if I did happen to sell the Pontiac, I would promise to buy another Olds
Tin Man
Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:28 PM
67 heavy metal

Tin man do you need a oilcankidding obviously I bought my project car not to awful far from you in spencer ny I live in the rochester area the project car had a long trip as it went way out near albion ny.I own three olds if you consider a covert with alot removed still a car.
Old October 24th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Captain of my ship

Posting pics

Tin Man posting pics is pretty easy , there are a couple of ways to do it . here is the easiest way , at least for me cause it's the first one I figured out with help from these guys. when you respond with an answer you hit the "post reply" tab on the bottom left and a window opens where you can write your response. if you scroll down below this window you will see a "manage attachments" tab. Click on that and a new window will open which has 5 browse yabs. Click on the first one and you can browse your computer for pics . when you find one you open that and then be sure to click on the upload tab and as long as the pic is not too big it will open in the window. good luck.
Old October 24th, 2009, 04:21 PM
The Tin Man

Thanks for the help. Here's my '59.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
the59_2.jpg (130.0 KB, 8 views)
Old October 24th, 2009, 04:26 PM
The Tin Man

Delmont crusier. Oh how I could use a oil can. Have I seen you at any shows? Know matter how many pieces it in or not there its still a car to me. Thanks Tin man
Old October 24th, 2009, 05:12 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by The Tin Man
Delmont crusier. Oh how I could use a oil can. Have I seen you at any shows? Know matter how many pieces it in or not there its still a car to me. Thanks Tin man
I don't know off hand if I have seen you or not.Did you come up to motor mania or greece ny for the outdoor car show.True on the last part but I guess it would be called 1/2 a car or partially there
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:38 PM
The Tin Man

delmontcrusier I was at the street machines in 2008 didn't make it this year. I had a 71 Royale conv dark blue white top and a 71 cutlass orange with black top. Tin man
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Welcome to the site!!!
Old October 26th, 2009, 05:17 PM
The Tin Man

Thanks 65az I love a 65 cutlass it just looks like it kick your a#@ Tin man