The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Jumping on board with a misfit.

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2011, 02:39 PM

Jumping on board with a misfit.

Hey all,

I'm Sam. I'm 23, live in Rhinelander, Wis., and dig old cars of any make or model - I just prefer GM.

I don't technically own an Oldsmobile. The '71 Delta 88 out back doesn't count - she's been defunct for years.

However, thats where this story starts. I bought a '67 Chevy II. Well, I want more power. I have a 455 from that Delta 88. Now, just to find a big shoehorn to make this misfit run...

So, that's why I'm here. Trying to do some figuring on the in's and out's of the Olds motor, and decide if it's the direction I want to take with my car. 500 lbs of torque seems like a good direction, though.

A little about my car. '67 Chevy II, 2-door post. Typical Wisconsin car, with almost nothing left to it. So, after 2 years of screwing around and piece mealing it together, I cut everything out, and essentially am putting a full frame under it. It'll run truck trailing arms, a stock front clip that was set up for a BBC. It'll fit 12-15 inches of rubber, no problem. And I'm hoping to run a stick, just so I can slam gears while running through the steets.

My other projects include a '69 GMC, 307, 3 speed, etc. That I threw together and beat the snot out of. It's my daily driver, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

So, thats about it, I'm sure I'll be pestering you all soon enough.

-Sam.
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:55 PM

Man that 455 would be wicked in a little Nova. I say go for it! The problem is getting it to hook. lol
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:20 PM

That should be pretty interesting, keep us posted.
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:36 PM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

x 2 She oughta scoot.
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:47 PM

Could be interesting!
Think I'd be calling Heidt's about a R+P setup for steering + springs, and a good custom exhaust shop for headers and exhaust.
Could be real interesting, with Omega emblems and a Canadian Nova grille!
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:34 PM

Even with a stock-ish rebuild on the 455, with G heads, stock compression, and a bit of a cam...I figure it'll still be more than I want to handle on any given day.

I have the th400 that bolts to the 455, but I'd really rather run a standard. My car is already set up for it, and I'm fairly certain I found the threads for the Z-Bar on the 455. That, and I have a bellhousing from a 225 Buick that I *think* will work. Then it's just a matter of finding an Olds flywheel...I think. Once again, this is just from cruising around and trying to do as much research as possible.

I plan on fabricating some fender well headers for it as well. Ambitious, I know. But it'd be a fun project, haha.

Now just to get the car put together enough so I can start mocking up and decide on a rebuild for the motor!
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. I think there are a few members here that could help you out and may have done something like this before so be patient. If they don't respond to this thread just re-post it in the projects forum or the big block forum. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:36 AM

You have a bit more to do than just bolting up a flywheel to make that 455 work with a stick. The crank is not drilled for the pilot bearing because it came with an automatic. You can have it drilled as the correct dimensions are out there so any machine shop could do it. But the problem is you'll have to remove the crank from the block to do it. Are you planning on a rebuild of the 455? If so you're not too far off with that. If not.........well then you have some issues.
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:52 PM

I already have the 455 stripped down, and had planned on getting the hole drilled in the back of the crank, to accept the pilot/snout of the tranny. Sorry, I probably should've mentioned that bit as well. Haha. My only concern with the Buick bellhousing is it only fits a 10.5" clutch...I beleive. I think I read that somewhere. LoL. And I'll have to dig up a Muncie somewhere, because something tells me a Saginaw 3-speed won't live real long behind the Olds...

The motor allegedly had a rob knock, so it was parked ump-teen years ago and forgot about. When I pulled it out, it was seized. So, I stripped it down, only to discover loose torque converter bolts. Lo and behold, the source of the knock! So now everything is getting cleaned up and put back together - properly.

I figure I can do a stock-ish rebuild for a couple hundred bucks, where as buying a SBC (since I don't have one laying around..shocking, I know) would set me back that. Plus, I'll have allllllll that power.

Alas, it's still in the planning stages. I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I dive in and start throwing dollar bills at the ol' girl, ya know?

Thanks again for the response! It makes me feel like I'm not totally off my rocker in thinking about attempting such a feat.

-Sam.