The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Intro to "Stella" my 72 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2013, 10:35 PM

Intro to "Stella" my 72 Cutlass Supreme

We all have some story behind our classics and mine is not too far off of most of the gentlemen here. One of my best friend's owned a 72 Cutlass Supreme and we rode together to high school, he was a year older so I thought I was the man when we pulled up in his classic. After that I was dead set on getting a Cutlass and the only other option was a 69-72 el camino. I got married about 4 months ago and 2 of my older buddies gave me a 1972 Cutlass Supreme (picture below). I had it stored for about 6 months until I was able to wrench on her and in the past 2 months I have did a COMPLETE brake job, Fluids flush/replace, replaced the starter, water pump, multiple leaking radiator and some hoses due to the integrity being compromised and some other minor tidbits and she runs "well" (The engine pics below are before I did ANY work). I don't trust her entirely yet until I can get a little deeper into the engine, but as I have quickly learned this process is going to take time. I have the funds to be able to slowly make improvements but she is unfortunately not my top priority..yet, let's keep the family moving in the right direction and it will just be me and her....and the wife on occasion, better than a mistress right? I am open to all practical suggestions about this process of restoring and not keeping it all the way original. I am looking for a weekend sometimes weekday driver, nothing HIGH performance and I will am not looking to make a dime off Stella, she's mine forever..or at least until my unborn son makes me proud enough. I will be posting any problems I need help with, but for starters I have 2 problems: I cannot lock the driver's side door and have yet to open it and tshoot it, my mechanical skills are slightly above average. Also I have an electrical issue because my gas level. odometer do not operate. Here's some pics and I am truly grateful to be a part of this awesome site.
DT

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/daj637/slideshow/

Last edited by MrTorresJr; November 2nd, 2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: To add photos correctly
Old October 29th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Welcome, Stella looks to be in good shape. FYI, you need to read the fine print in your marriage license... you think it's your car, however it clearly states in very small print, whats hers is hers, and more importantly whats yours is hers. You'll figure it out.

On your door lock and fuel gauge issue, please post a request in the repair forums.
Old October 29th, 2013, 12:47 PM

Haha understood.
DT
Old October 29th, 2013, 05:53 PM

Welcome aboard! Looks like a nice car to start a resto project on.
You seem to have the priorities going right - get it safe and drivable, then focus on cosmetics. That door dent might be a bear...
I have a few reference links below for some front end and engine bay resto procedures.
I kinda prefer a nice car over a mistress, as I know she never leaves home without me!
Old October 29th, 2013, 06:14 PM

@Lady72nRob71 The front end kills me but after looking deeper I think if I can find the parts I need aside from a new bumper I can manage. I am a Oakland Raider fan (yeah laugh it up) the 49er colors also hurt but you can't beat free! The steering really bothers me because it seems "hollow" as if it's read to give out soon. I cannot find the power steering fill (not entirely sure if this model even has one).
Old October 29th, 2013, 06:46 PM

Front end replacement parts for these are easy to find. Rockauto had most of them. Get Moog if you plan to keep the car and drive a long time.
Might as well have the power steering box rebuilt...
The PS filler is on top of the pump. The pump is under the alternator. Use Dexron III tranny fluid or equ.
Body parts like bumpers can be had used (might need rechroming) or reproduction. Several guys here have their own personal Olds boneyards, so almost anything can be had.
Old October 29th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome, Stella looks to be in good shape. FYI, you need to read the fine print in your marriage license... you think it's your car, however it clearly states in very small print, whats hers is hers, and more importantly whats yours is hers. You'll figure it out.

On your door lock and fuel gauge issue, please post a request in the repair forums.
My wife would beg to differ sense she bought my 65 kinda of a anniversary present
Old October 29th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Really now, I bet she has a different opinion.
Old October 29th, 2013, 08:11 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO and congrats on the car!
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:47 PM
1971 Cutlass 4 Door

Nice car man welcome!!!!