The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

intro for DadsDelta

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2016, 04:49 PM

intro for DadsDelta

I'm new to the sight. Dad n I purchased a 1971 Delta 88 Royale Convertible in 2000 together. We've had it painted, upholstered, a new top, whitewalls, Skirts. She looks big, red and gorgeous. I need some help with find a part Or maybe I don't need a new part and the mechanic is all wrong. I am having new control arm bushings installed, ball joints, center-link, inner and outer tierods. He says I need a new pit-man arm. I can't find a new one. Is it a part that needs replaced?

Thanks

Norm
Old October 21st, 2016, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sweet car. Pitman arms generally don't wear out there are no moving parts.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 02:12 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yes, the question would be: What's wrong with your old one?

- Eric
Old October 22nd, 2016, 03:18 AM
Lansing built

Welcome to C.O. fellow Michigander! What's the little buggers on the front of the fenders?

Pat
Old October 22nd, 2016, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Welcome to C.O. fellow Michigander! What's the little buggers on the front of the fenders?

Pat
Hey Pat thanks for the welcome. Those are turn signals that came with the car. I have tried to find new ones but can't. Some sorta aftermarket fun from the 70s. We like them!
Have you ever been to the Big Olds show in Lansing? I want to trek I p there with dad next year.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 04:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Yes, the question would be: What's wrong with your old one?

- Eric
The pitman arm is the forged steel arm that attaches to the output shaft of the steering box. On some cars, the pitman arm has a ball joint built in where it attaches to the center link, but on your car this ball joint comes as part of the center link. Unless the pitman arm is damaged or the tapered hole for the center link ball joint stud is worn, it should not need replacement (which is why it is not commonly available). Verify that the worn part isn't the center link, which would be far more likely. Those are readily available as they are normal wear items.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The pitman arm is the forged steel arm that attaches to the output shaft of the steering box. On some cars, the pitman arm has a ball joint built in where it attaches to the center link, but on your car this ball joint comes as part of the center link. Unless the pitman arm is damaged or the tapered hole for the center link ball joint stud is worn, it should not need replacement (which is why it is not commonly available). Verify that the worn part isn't the center link, which would be far more likely. Those are readily available as they are normal wear items.

Thats what i was thinking! its a non wear item on a 71 delta 88. I appriciatte the welcome to the sight and all the responses!
Old October 22nd, 2016, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Its a non wear item on most Older GM cars and trucks.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 06:39 PM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by dadsdelta
Hey Pat thanks for the welcome. Those are turn signals that came with the car. I have tried to find new ones but can't. Some sorta aftermarket fun from the 70s. We like them!
Have you ever been to the Big Olds show in Lansing? I want to trek I p there with dad next year.
Neat little story on the lamps!

On the Homecoming show..... MMM lets see I started going to it around 1995 and brought my first car in 1997 and started on the committee in 1998 and then ran the show and the R.E. Olds chapter 1999-2002 and stayed with the show till around 2004. and been bringing one or two cars ever since!

The show has been moved to a new site for 2017. Auto owners insurance 6101 Anacapari Lansing, MI 48917.

Pat
Old October 23rd, 2016, 04:59 AM

The little dudes need some new chrome and the lenses are a pail orange. We like them

wow 1995!!!! its sad that olds the company is now gone. could you recommend a place to park? good breakfast? gotta eat!

Thanks
Old October 23rd, 2016, 07:07 AM
Lansing built

Well the show is right off of Creyts road. So by rights you will be coming up I-69 to I-496 Olds freeway) east bound to Creyts and then left or north you will be bypassing the show area to the right and go up about 2 miles to Saginaw st. hang a right or east, but get into the left turn lane immediately (do your turn with the green light that street is a major one) Dimitri's

http://dimitrislansing.com/

Pat