The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from Kentucky

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2016, 03:23 AM

Hello from Kentucky

Hello everyone. i am finally an Olds owner. Long story, but I was finally able to purchase my dad's 68 Cutlass Convertible.

Unfortunately, he passed away 2 years ago. I finally was able to talk my wife and my mom into letting me buy the car instead of it being sold to a stranger. The car has an interesting story behind it.

During my senior year of high school back in the fall of 87, I was fortunate enough to drive a 68 442 hardtop. One day after school I was headed back into town on an old country road when a guy in a pickup lost control and hit me head on. That solid car protected me well as I had no injuries outside of a sprained wrist. The car was not as lucky. The frame was bent so badly that it was sticking out under the passenger side door about 4 inches. The passenger front wheel was actually touching the front passenger seat. So the car was done for.

The following summer, I left for the army. While I was gone, my dad bought a 68 Cutlass convertible that did not have an engine or transmission. The p.o. had set it up for drag racing with 4:11 gears and ladder bars. So my dad took the engine and transmission out of my wrecked car and installed it in the convertible. He also took the emblems from the 442 and put them on the Cutlass. Amazingly enough, the motor started right up on the first try with no maintenance done to it other than an oil change.

My dad drove the car for about 15 years and then parked it in the barn. He had tried to start it a few years ago but the motor had seized on it. He was unable to get it freed so it just sat as he didn't have the money or time to tear into it. So that is how it is today. I have it in my barn now and will be getting into the motor soon. My job keeps me away from home for about 3 weeks at a time and then home for a week and a half so getting things done is a bit of a hassle.

So thanks for having me and I look forward to really diving into the history and particulars of the Cutlass's.
Old October 24th, 2016, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site and congrats, cool story. Post some pics when you get a chance.
Old October 24th, 2016, 10:08 AM

Welcome! Definitely need some pics.
Old October 24th, 2016, 10:51 AM

Thank you. I will get pics as soon as I can. Don't get home until mid-November though so it will be a while. This job is really cutting into my leisure time.