The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Intro

Search this Thread

Old Today | 03:50 AM

Intro

Have a 55 olds, maybe a super 88? 2 dr ht
Not sure what I want to do with it. Have had it since I was 18.
Old Today | 05:31 AM
Art S

Welcome! That's a long time keeping a car.
Old Today | 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by L.Oscar
Have had it since I was 18.
Originally Posted by Supernice88
Welcome! That's a long time keeping a car.
Until he tells us how old he is, we have no idea how long he has kept the car. He might be 20 and have had it for all of two years.

Let's see some photos of this car.
Old Today | 06:36 AM

I just saw in your other thread that you have had the car since 1970.

Since your car now has a Cadilllac engine in it, it might not be easy to determine what kind of 88 it is. The base 88 had a dual downdraft carburetor while the Super 88 had a Quadri-Jet. That gave the Super 88 202 hp compare to the 185 hp for the base 88. Torque was slightly higher for the Super 88 as well.

I don't know if there were any significant differences trim-wise between the two.

It's not the easiest to read, but here's a page out of the 1955 Olds foldout brochure. Super 88's are at the top, Ninety-Eights are in the middle, and base 88s are at the bottom. Can't really see any differences between the two 88s.

Old Today | 06:47 AM

Just found this on another site (Over-drive Magazine). Describes the non-engine differences between the two. Perhaps your car has or does not have some or any of these.

Standard equipment (on the Super 88) included all items from the 88 series plus foam rubber seat cushions, stainless steel rocker panel moldings, front seat back robe cord, spun glass under-hood insulation, and rear window vent panes.

https://over-drive-magazine.com/2024...le-fact-sheet/
Old Today | 06:55 AM

Welcome.
Old Today | 09:22 AM

55 Olds

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Until he tells us how old he is, we have no idea how long he has kept the car. He might be 20 and have had it for all of two years.

​​​​​​

Sorry for the delay on pic, not a tech person, I’m 72 as of this Sept. 13.
please accept my apology for using Oscar as user name. My name is Linda. I named my car Oscar but had to change it because Oscar had been used. Yes it is a long time to have a car. I bought it from my uncle when I was 18 for $150.00. He rebuilt the tranny for me and it was my everyday car until the late 80’s. As a young teen I heard many men say they wish they had kept their first car, so I did! I drove it often up until 1995 or so.
it was all original until I loaned it to my brother while he was having his truck work. He took it to the stock races and blew up the tranny and broke the column shifter off. I was told the tranny could not be rebuilt so my brother had a friend put the caddy engine in it. Knowing what I know now I would have found an original tranny. Hindsight is just that.
I wanted to rebuild it myself, obviously with help. I totally took it apart for a full restoration by myself. It took me several months. I got discouraged when I trusted someone was a good welder…installing front floor panels. Brought it back home and haven’t worked on it since. Now not sure if I should continue or let someone else have a project. This was probably way too much info. Will keep it short from now on.
Linda😊
Old Today | 09:25 AM

Not too much info at all! And we still want photos.
Old Today | 10:19 AM
Art S

This was an unnecessary comment, I had read his other thread. her

Last edited by Supernice88; Today at 10:23 AM. Reason: info
Old Today | 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Supernice88
This was an unnecessary comment,
It wasn't an unnecessary comment if you, like me, had read only THIS thread. Maybe you could have done us a favor and enlightened us on how you knew she had had the car for a long time?

We can't read minds.

Last edited by jaunty75; Today at 10:23 AM.
Old Today | 02:10 PM

Hello again,
Thank you so much for the poster and all the other info, greatly appreciated!
I will post some pic as I learn how to do it on this forum. Like I said it is totally off the chassis. I believe I do have a pic before I started taking it apart.
It has a four barrel Rochester carburetor (original) I believe the gear selector may also be an indicator it is a super 88 mine has S as the top gear, like overdrive maybe. I’m not knowledgeable in that area. Also it has a small round emblem on each side of the front fenders near the headlights and I believe they have a S on them.
thank you again
Linda
Old Today | 04:00 PM
Bfg

If you were to click on the public profile, you could clearly see the individual is 72 years young. Being that it has the 88 badges on the front of the fenders, it must be a Super 88. Regular 88’s didn’t have those stinking badges! I admire a woman who wrenches on cars, I wish I can get my wife out of the kitchen and out to the garage.