The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

I'm blasted old to be a newbie!

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2011 | 05:26 PM

I'm blasted old to be a newbie!

First post. Thanks to all who work so hard to make this site possible. I have a 72 Cutlass S, 350 4 speed bench seat car. All original steel with one repaint ten years ago. 102,000 miles but the original 350 is in pieces as it had a blown head gasket. I decided to freshen up with rings and bearings and dropped and cracked one of the pistons. While I decide what to do, I have my 455 in the car and it is a blast. I look forward to visiting here and working on the Cutlass this winter. I have no digital camera and have no idea how to post pictures. I am technologically challenged.

Festus
Old November 11th, 2011 | 06:03 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

welcome to the site. If your 72 had the 23 cc pistons i have a few in good shape pay for shipping and you can have them for nothing i also have some 14 cc pistons if that's what you had. Let me know if you are intrested. Your car sounds like a nice ride. Im pretty sure you aren"t mising the 350 with that 455 for a replacement lol.
Old November 11th, 2011 | 06:31 PM

Welcome to CO

Festus,

Old is relative to how you feel. Several of us are on the other side of 60. In any case nice to have you aboard. 455 are one of the answers to slow down aging
Old November 11th, 2011 | 06:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Festus
First post. Thanks to all who work so hard to make this site possible. I have a 72 Cutlass S, 350 4 speed bench seat car. All original steel with one repaint ten years ago. 102,000 miles but the original 350 is in pieces as it had a blown head gasket. I decided to freshen up with rings and bearings and dropped and cracked one of the pistons. While I decide what to do, I have my 455 in the car and it is a blast. I look forward to visiting here and working on the Cutlass this winter. I have no digital camera and have no idea how to post pictures. I am technologically challenged.

Festus
Nice intro Festus. Welcome to C.O.
Nice, a 72 4 speed. My 72 is auto but I love it just the same. I replaced most of the metal with OEM back about 25 years ago. GM just didn't put the rust proofing into them like they do now.

Well for a 'tech challenged guy' you can work a keyboard. FWIW digital cameras have come way down in price and they're easy to use - even I can do it. Something to think about for when you need to show off your work or ask a question that really needs a pic?

Look forward to hearing what happens to your 350 build. I'm planning to pull mine in the spring, it has 122K on it, the seals are all leaking and the compression is down. It wants to be reborn....
Old November 12th, 2011 | 04:34 AM

Thanks for the nice welcome. Not sure which piston I have Coppercutlass. I assume it is the lower compression. I have thought about replacing the slugs with flattops. With the compression heighth and thicker head gasket, it should be no higher than 9.2 to 1 compression. Not sure what I will do. The 455 does help to slow down the aging, but I am getting close to the 60 plateau myself. That's OK - getting old beats the other alternative. I want to get the 350 back in since it is the original powerplant. My car was undercoated when new and was babied all its life and is in really nice shape for an unrestored 40 year old classic. I have all the documantation on the car since new - even receipts for all the work the original owner had performed. I have a little experience with a keyboard. I have spent 25 years as an English teacer, athletic director, principal, and am back to teaching now.
Have a great day,
Festus
Old November 12th, 2011 | 04:52 AM

From one geezer to another Welcome aboard.

See if this helps

Pics 101

When You reply make sure you in “Go Advanced”
Scroll down under the reply box and click on “Manage Attachments”

A new box will pop up, Click on “Browse” then “Upload”

There is a size limit on pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
geezer%20crossing.jpg (3.1 KB, 92 views)
Old November 12th, 2011 | 06:11 AM
Administrator

Welcome from one on this side of 60!! I'm not old, just older!
Old November 12th, 2011 | 07:19 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

First post. I have no digital camera and have no idea how to post pictures. I am technologically challenged.

Festus
I'm dumb as a brick with computer stuff, but even I managed to put up pics eventually.
If you have a friend with a digital camera or a phone that takes pictures and is remotely computer savvy who is willing to give an hour of their time then they will make it look easy.

And welcome to the site, lots of expert help available here.

Roger.
Old November 12th, 2011 | 10:07 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
From one geezer to another.
Whoooaa there big fella!!! Since when does 'close to 60' count as geezer status?? I'm not ready for that. I thought geezer was when you need to be spoon fed and can't open the garage door to get the car out

My wife works with 'geezers'. They drive walkers!!! The rest of us are still nimble Oldsmobilers. How's your progress on rebuilding the HO? Haven't heard much about that since it happened. (sorry for the reminder)
Old November 12th, 2011 | 12:36 PM

I am trying to post a couple pictures of the 72. Hope it works

Festus
Attached Images
DSC00032smaller.jpg (84.4 KB, 38 views)
DSC00033_smaller_image.jpg (116.5 KB, 34 views)
Old November 12th, 2011 | 01:17 PM

Very nice welcome
Old November 12th, 2011 | 02:33 PM

Welcome to the site Festus. Your pictures posted just fine, and that's a mighty fine looking car you have! John
Old November 12th, 2011 | 05:34 PM

VERY nice looking car - welcome!
What color is it? Factory color repainted or custom? Hard to tell with the wonderful soft glow of the setting sun...
Mine looks best in a sunset it seems...
Old November 12th, 2011 | 05:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I am trying to post a couple pictures of the 72. Hope it works Festus
Are you kidding me??? That is an AWESOME Cutlass S! It looks so stock too. I guessing it is Covert Beige (code 50)?? Those would be SS11's on it? Is the paint on the wheels original?

Looks like your techno challenge days are in the past. Great job!
Old November 12th, 2011 | 05:56 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

The cutlass looks great.
Old November 12th, 2011 | 06:35 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site, Festus!! Beautiful Cutlass!! It's soooo cool that you have all the original paperwork to go with the car. That doesn't happen very often. By the way, these "old geezers" on here are the best, lol!!
Old November 13th, 2011 | 05:27 AM

Thanks again for the kind words. From the pictures, you guys have some great rides! My car was originally #57 baroque gold with vinyl top. I may take it back there some day. When I bought the car, I received the original window sticker, order form, protect o plate, letter of appreciation from the Olds zone manager, all the books, and many receipts for work performed. With sport mirrors and wheel, SSII's, floor mats, clock, rear defrost, and no AC, the car listed for $4261.90. The original owner gave $2275 and a 1969 Opel GT. Cool Stuff! I bought the car four years ago after being diagnosed and treated for cancer. I wanted a bench stick car for years after owning a 70 Cutlass S years ago with that configuration and was in the process of building one myself wen I found this one. I realized life is short and decided to jump on it. Four years later the cancer is gone, I am getting close to 30 years with the greatest lady in the world, the car is in the garage, my 15 month old granddaughter can't get enough of me and I am teaching again at the greatest high school going. Life is good!! Sorry for the long rant - probably more than you ever wanted to know about me. Have a great day.
Festus
Old November 13th, 2011 | 05:43 AM

Your car looks great, like the color and prefer cars without vinyl tops

Sometimes it takes a jolt to wake us up to what is and isn't important. Glad to see your enjoying like and Oldsmobiles
Old November 13th, 2011 | 09:03 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Congratulations, festus;

You have a great woman, a grandaughter who will give you years of pleasure, beaten cancer, and now you have one of the finest cars I've ever seen.

Enjoy!!!

Roger.