The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

I need expert advice...

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2011, 08:10 AM

Unhappy I need expert advice...

I am an new 68 Cutlass owner and needless to say i've never owned an old school ride like this. I bought my Cutlass off craigslist. Newly rebuilt engine, starter, generator,carburetor, radiator, and new custom exhaust system. I'm excited to drive this beast, it's strong and fast.
I drove it from LA to SD two nights ago and it ran great all up until I got out of the freeway. The engine sounded good my oil, and water pressure where good. So I immdiately thought my tranny! So pulled over and I can't put my car into parking! W.T.F?

What can this be? Anybody...
Old September 6th, 2011, 08:18 AM

Probably loose shifter linkage or disconnected somehow. Let's hope it's not more then that. Let us know what you find.
Old September 6th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Official Tire Kicker

I think people would need a better description of what exactly happened. Did it start losing power, any strange sounds? What happened to cause you to think something was wrong before you stopped if anything? What does the transmission fluid look like on the dipstick?

Last edited by Willidog; September 6th, 2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:00 AM

Good point willidog.... The only indicator was that on the up hill it would lag getting up. When I finally pulled over I checked the fluids and engine oil was good and so was the transmission oil. That's why I'm left in clouds about this. I can still start up the car and it sounds bad *** like it has since day one. The shift lever can only move to reverse and even on reverse the car won't move. I can move it into drive but I have to really force it in there. So there is not crazy sounds and no crazy smells and no leaks.
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:05 AM

Ohhh!!! I forgot to mention my speedometer broke when I was on the freeway. The poor speedometer was making a grinding sound and then it finally broke, as in the needle broke but the grinding sound continued... Can that have anything to do with it?
Old September 6th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Official Tire Kicker

The speedo wouldn't have anything to do with it, sounds like the needle broke off but the cable is still turning. Both problems will require you to look at the transmission. For the gear shift problem I would check the shifter linkage where the cable hooks up (assuming it is an auto transmission) and if that is good then drop the transmission pan and take a look at the shifting mechanisim which you can see after removal of the pan (good time to really check and change the transmission fluid too!). It is shaped like knuckles and as you move the shifter it rides over a bushing, may be loose or off as mentioned by TripDeuces. Mine did that while I had the transmission out because I turned it on its side and the "S" clip fell off, don't ask me how cause I never did figure it out. The speedo may require a new speedometer and new cable, you will have to remove the cable from the transmission to take a look at it and see if it is spinning freely, maybe the plastic gears that actually engage and turn the cable are chewed up or it could be spinning free inside the speedometer itself.

Last edited by Willidog; September 7th, 2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old September 11th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Did you figure out your problem yet?
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:19 PM

Dude you guys where right from the get go, it was the shifter linkage. It was loose some how. I'm soo glade I joined this forum you guys do know what up! Thanks again... Now I'm off to fry to find a good suspension system... I hate the way my car sits, I want a more aggressive look instead of a gangster look. Any inputs?
Old September 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM

Best stance I've ever seen on a '68 was one with Vista Cruiser springs in the rear and regular Cutlass 350 springs on the front. Leaned forward just right.

BTW, you should post some pics of your car.
Old September 15th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by alfadog
I hate the way my car sits, I want a more aggressive look instead of a gangster look. Any inputs?
a pic of how it currently sits would help.
Old September 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM

I agree on the station wagon springs. I had Buick ones on my 70 with the stock 350 springs up front but with a 455.
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Mine is a 67 with station wagon springs in the back stockers up front!
Old September 16th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Glad you found the problem. I have never messed around or looked at changing my suspension, I always liked the way my 69 sat with stock height springs. It sets up a little in the back and a little down in the front. That may be cause my front springs are a little weak though.
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:47 AM

If I go through with the station wagons rear suspension does it matter what year the coils come off of?
Old September 20th, 2011, 06:59 PM

I agree with Rambow if we had some pics it would help. There are lots of ways to change your stance, 2" drop spindles looks really good. Old school cut one coil off the front springs, but I don't really recommend.