The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

i have a 84 98 hearse...first time on here

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2011, 06:23 PM

i have a 84 98 hearse...first time on here

hey everyone i just found this website last week and im finally able to post now. i have a 84 olds 98 hearse with a few problems ill be asking about later in the right forum but i wanted to introduce myself and tell everyone about this awsome car i got that im turning into a camper. im not a big car guy but i know enough to keep em going. ill try to get some pictures of her up but right now im in the middle of matting her out but due to the fact i have no garage, i have to wait for the wind to go away before i can finish painting.
it looks like someone hit the drivers side quarter panel years and years ago then bondo 'ed the fiberglass to fix it so it was chipping and rusting where the passenger side looked shiny and new...so i had to balance it out a little. i think the primer black looks good on it.and again hello to everyone ill probibly have alot of questions in the future

buster
Old April 5th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by brokeandugly21
hey everyone i just found this website last week and im finally able to post now. i have a 84 olds 98 hearse with a few problems ill be asking about later in the right forum but i wanted to introduce myself and tell everyone about this awsome car i got that im turning into a camper. im not a big car guy but i know enough to keep em going. ill try to get some pictures of her up but right now im in the middle of matting her out but due to the fact i have no garage, i have to wait for the wind to go away before i can finish painting.
it looks like someone hit the drivers side quarter panel years and years ago then bondo 'ed the fiberglass to fix it so it was chipping and rusting where the passenger side looked shiny and new...so i had to balance it out a little. i think the primer black looks good on it.and again hello to everyone ill probibly have alot of questions in the future

buster
So in a nutshell, you've got a car the NOBODY wants to steal, is hard on gas, and is perfect for camping.
Old April 5th, 2011, 06:49 PM

Welcome to the site, never mind the teasing, my '92 Custom Cruiser is referred to as a hearse. I usually consider the source, smile politely and ask "Would you like to go for a ride??!" There is a great deal of experience and mostly good advise on this site. I'm sure that when you post questions, you are likely to get some answers. Please share some photos if you are willing at your convenience.
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:23 PM

also if theres anyone on here who is familiar with hearses that could tell me a few things like how they are supposed to handle? and how much more do they weigh than a regular car or wagon...im trying to figure out gas mileage before i take it any where. also im wondering how there supposed to handle because i think my rear shocks are going out but mabie hearses are supposed to have suspension like that? i havent taken it on the interstate but if you swerve back and fourth real fast it wants to kinda fish tale/bob around a little
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:38 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Have you tried Bat turns with a casket in the back?

I would think it's top heavy.
Old April 6th, 2011, 05:11 AM

well first off...YOU HAVE TO NAME HER!!!!!!!!!
the we need to know more info about the car, which body style (maker of the conversion) condition of tires, miles, etc. to be honest it will be the first Olds Hearse of that era as most I think were caddy, lincoln, or buick. I always wanted on to turn into that cool halloween ride, but also a type of limo with alot of seating, and rent it out...lol. ..hmm...H/O Hearse Olds

welcome to Classic Oldsmobile

Last edited by jturkey69; April 6th, 2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old April 6th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! I had to laugh at your user name, lol! Now that's funny right there!! Can't wait to see pics of your hearse... that's creepy......
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:46 AM

ive seen older oldsmobile hearses but not from the same makers (eureka)
and as for body style and all that im not realy sure. the title just says model: g37
body style: cp. so i dunno if had to guess id say regency brougham just cause that was the most fancy. the guy who had it before me did some work to it. cut out the back enough to put a bench seat in the back so its more like a limo noe...however the seat does not fold down or slide forward so the little trunk cubby is not reachable
the seat in on sliding adjusters but the way he did it was backwards so i can push the seat further back but not bring it forward to get to the "trunk". but he did put new exaust and tires on it...but the rust is a factor...due to the fact eureka like to make most of there bodys out of fiberglass theres parts where metal meet fiberglass and its bubbled up or like i said with the quarterpanel repair where its flaking off
but i sanded it down and dug out as much rust as i could. another small problem i came across is NO DOOR HANDLES in the back...i guess they diddnt expect there passengers to let themselves out....so once your in the back you gotta jimmy the back door with a screw driver or climb across the seats and through the devider then out one of the front doors....another problem i found is the vinyl top had been taken off....along with the seal so water comes in on the roof above the rear passenger doors....i can fix it with a little sealant but now the floors starting to rust through.
but im not trying to restore it or anything i dont care what it looks like too much
im just trying to make it into a livable camper.....i was even debating cutting off the back half of the fiberglass top and put a cab over camper one for like a ranger or something in it
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:25 AM

i have no idea how many miles it has the odometer only goes up to 99,999
so who knows...they guy i bought it from claims it only has 65,000 and that he got it from a funeral home in orleans indiana who retired it due to the quarter panel accident
they did a good job repairing it but the rear drivers side door is bolted shut...the tires are about 5 years old but there basicly new firestones...i think they might have 5,000 miles on them?
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:45 AM

Eureka is the maker, so does it have tall commercial glass? or is the roof just taller, and the door frames stock size and stretched longer? we need some pics!!!
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:06 AM

i guess i should have taken some before pics...but right now the front half is blue the back is all i have painted and im not even done with that....and the top where the vynal is supposed to be is primer grey...so basicly it looks like crap and want to wait till i at least get the front done. but the back doors are extended and the top is lifted but i think the windshield is regular size...or at least i hope so since i have to get a new one
because the one i have i dont think is repairable. i just changed the oil and it sounds great...except i was trying to fix me headlights and i guess i left them on and drained my battery...so i jump it and let it run for about 15 minutes and when i turned it off it did the uncle buck car thing where it keeps sputtering after i turned it off..i turned the key and it came back on and when i turned it off it kept sputtering...so i turned it on and reved it hard then it turned off fine...stuck float mabie? or a sign of something worse to come. but my brother does demo derbys and ive seen what these things can actually take (wich is allmost anything)
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:38 AM

i took some pics but i cant fugure out how to post them...there 2 mb and thats to big to post...im not much of a computer person
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:14 PM

pics 101

When you reply make sure you are in “Advanced” If it says post a “Quick reply” hit “Advanced”

Scroll down below the box you type in and hit “Manage Attachments” A new box will pop up.

Hit “Browse”

The hit “Upload” and wait a few secs for the pics to up load. Then close this box.
Next you can hit “Preview Post” and your pictures should be there.

There is a size limit on pics
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM

ok heres a few pics of the beast ....eyas i know it looks like **** and yes i know rattle can paint jobs suck but unless i was to so some serous bondo work im not going to be painting this thing any time soon with anyhting but cheap primer...i dont care if it looks nice i just want it to match
lots of head room and even with the bench seat in the back theres still room for a twin matress..i wish it was about 2 inches longer though, im six foot and i fit ok as long as i dont strech if i sleep at an angle ill be fine..another reason i want to make the back seat adjustable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00001.JPG (76.5 KB, 43 views)
DSC00002.JPG (92.8 KB, 44 views)
DSC00003.JPG (83.2 KB, 36 views)
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO, a hearse is fine, especially an Olds!
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:08 PM

that actually looks cool how they kept the delta tallights. you also have the (commercial) tall glass, and I cant tell, but pretty sure you have the tall windshield as well. Something like that would look cool with a satin black paint job, and moon racing discs. The "dieseling" that your car was doing is probably caused by alot of carbon buil-up over the years of being babied. I would be very careful on how high you rev, and beat on it so to speak until you get her broke into some daily use. Do your basic fuel filter change as well, and other tune up items, and spend some time on her.

any interior pics? I may be able to help with some ideas.
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:59 PM

Thumbs up

thats sweet bro... 4doors tho? family vacation? lol
theres a ton of thing you can do with that" chop top bigblock "
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:07 PM

heres some more pics of the windshield...i realy hope its not a special windshiled i dont think i could afford that
of the last two one is the bench seat he put in the back...im thinking about just taking it out and then the damaged quarter panel...it looks like they might have cut the original one off and glassed it to the body..the rust is not as bad as it looks i just scraped it out real good
Attached Images
DSC00020.JPG (87.6 KB, 31 views)
DSC00019.JPG (77.6 KB, 35 views)
DSC00018.JPG (70.3 KB, 31 views)
DSC00012.JPG (56.3 KB, 34 views)
DSC00008.JPG (55.1 KB, 30 views)
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by mattbeasty
thats sweet bro... 4doors tho? family vacation? lol
theres a ton of thing you can do with that" chop top bigblock "
are there two door hearses im not aware of?
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by brokeandugly21
are there two door hearses im not aware of?

no idea? haha i just thought it was odd
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:52 PM

well only the passenger side rear door opens anyway lol
and i dont think ill be doing any family vacations but i intend to drive this thing for as many miles and states till it falls apart. then probably a little further....
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:02 PM

think i might go ahead an put a new starter on it when i do the plugs and wires just for good measure. mabie a bigger battery too...the one i got if it doesn't start by the second try it will kill the battery on the third..luckily it usually starts right up. or mabie wire in two so i can put an inverter in the back for a tv or stove or something.
if anyone knows anything about battery banks or inverters let me know.
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Oldsdruid

Heh. A "Hearse/Olds" !

I didn't realise coachbuilders were using Olds chassis for hearses that late. This is the first one I've seen.

Just glancing at the windshield can't tell if it's the tall one GM Commercial Chassis used or if the roof only is modified. Look at the manufacturer's mark on the glass and it will tell you what windshield you need. Give that number to the glass shop and see if they can get you one.
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:09 AM

well on the off chance that its a regular windshield...how difficult would it be to install one from the pick n pull? ive seen some how to videos but i just keep getting flashbacks to the buick regal my mom had when i was a kid...guy before us hit a deer and replaced the windshield himself but put it in with regular calk or something so if it was realy hot out and you slammed on the breaks you would have to reach out the window and push the windshield back in. but it seems like if i used a good sealant i should be fine...i just gotta get it out of the junker without breaking it.i just dont have 200 bucks to drop on a new one but if i dont ill be stopped in every state.
and thanks rocketraider ill call some glass places and see if they have it
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:36 PM

new pics

so im allmost done with the painting...the wind picked up again so i got to wait....got it mostly dont i just have to go around and get all the hard to do spots like between the doors and on the edge of the door frame
and everyone keeps refering to it as a her so much that i started doing it..mabie it was the powder blue...but now its black im thinking NORMAN
i dunno it just seems like the right name
Attached Images
DSC00021.JPG (81.4 KB, 15 views)
DSC00022.JPG (85.3 KB, 12 views)
DSC00023.JPG (84.4 KB, 15 views)
DSC00024.JPG (81.7 KB, 18 views)
Old April 7th, 2011, 05:13 PM

Thumbs up

Very cool and unique ride!
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:26 AM

heres a few interior pics
Attached Images
DSC00035.JPG (79.9 KB, 15 views)
DSC00034.JPG (71.0 KB, 15 views)
DSC00027.JPG (56.1 KB, 11 views)
DSC00026.JPG (63.3 KB, 13 views)
DSC00025.JPG (75.0 KB, 18 views)
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Heh. A "Hearse/Olds" !

I didn't realise coachbuilders were using Olds chassis for hearses that late. This is the first one I've seen.
x2, way cool car!