The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Howdy from DFW, TX

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:48 PM

Howdy from DFW, TX

Hi all(or, as Texans prefer, Howdy ya'll)

I'm Jack Ryan, 17, and recently bought an Oldsmobile worthy these forums--a 1983 Custom Cruiser. It's my 8th car, and my 2nd Olds. My other car, which was my first car(and later, my 5th car), is a 1987 Cutlass Ciera. Story behind it is, I bought it for $600. It was my mom's car, then she gave it up for rent, and I bought it back. Redid the exhaust and other stuff(filters, new gas line, brake line, tensioner pulley, belt, alternator) then sold it when I couldn't keep it running unless I had the gas at half throttle. Tested for 2 weeks, couldn't figure it out.

After it was vandalized, I bought it for $100 off my best friend I sold it to with cut brake lines, gas line, 4 pinhole-punctured tires, and a busted left tail light. I took the tires off the rim and patched them myself. As a temporary "get-it-home" fix(I was working at his dad's mechanic shop for the tires), I installed a fuel filter to patch the gas line and drove it 10 miles (part of that was from the top of a mountain to the bottom) without brakes and parked it at my grandma's. What was wrong with it? Plugged cat and bad MAS. He welded in a section of pipe in place of the cat.

Anyhow, back to the Custom Cruiser. It's in great shape for $1,000. There is some surface rust on the hood and fender, which I intend to sand and prime. It has a transmission with 8,000 miles(reciepts to prove it) and the whole rearend was rebuilt as well. The engine was supposedly rebuilt 10,000 ago(I don't think so, unless it just wasn't cleaned on the outside). It has a 307 V8 4bbl and a 4-speed transmission. It has the original Quadrajet CCC, too. Runs like a dream, drives the same. On the inside, the stereo was replaced(it was already cut out and wired, I had to provide the head unit) but everything else looks original. The front two rows of seats has faded to green, though. Under the headrests I found the original brown coloring. Third row seat is in perfect shape.

The only work the car needs is a paint job, headliner redone(it's tacked up), cruise control fixed(vaccuum lines or solenoids), and the vaccuum solenoids for the air ducts replaced(I've got the metal doors propped open for functionality). The visors will be redone myself, perhaps with cardboard or a similar material put in, then restiched. Other than that, I'd like to replace the front two rows, or find a way for them to be recovered. The interior doesn't have a single stain, tear, or burn.

I've got to run, ask questions and I'll answer to my best knowledge. I hope to contribute to the forum and get answers, too. Pics to come. I need to upload them to Photobucket first.

Also, this is my second time trying to register. The first time, after activating, I never got moderator approval, and my account dissapeared after a week. Weird. I tried posting this earlier, don't you know just before I hit submit the browser locked up.

--Ryan
Lewisville, TX

EDIT: Here are some pics: http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...tom%20Cruiser/
PIC-0206.jpg

Last edited by yzzerdd; November 2nd, 2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Past Administrator

Hey welcome to CO. Nice looking long roof you have there!
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
car guy

Welcome to CO. There are several other DFW guys here
Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by yzzerdd
I'm Jack Ryan
Yeah, right. And I'm Indiana Jones.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:43 PM

It was my mom's car, then she gave it up for rent,

After it was vandalized,

drove it 10 miles (part of that was from the top of a mountain to the bottom) without brakes and parked it at my grandma's.
Wow. You're only 17 years old, and it sounds like you've already lived a very long life.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:56 PM

Heh, seriously, Jack Ryan...I don't think my mother realized I was named after a Tom Clancy character until after the fact....Jack was because of my great grandfather, though, btw.

Meh, I've had alot of experiences and using something alot of people seem to lack--LOGIC--I figure out what I don't know along the way. Driving without brakes isn't bad at all. Allow the vehicle to slow down once you're at the top, then shift into low and go down the slope. Come up to stop signs and lights very slowly. If you have to stop, you've got an E-brake for a reason. I had my grandpa drive his big 'ol Dodge Ram conversion van in front of me, just in case I needed to tap onto his bumper and let his brakes stop my car--which I never had to do on the journey.

I'm loving my Olds and will likely get a few pictures of my other Olds up on Photobucket and here tonight. I'm on my dad's PC right now, will have to upload more pics using mine. The Cutlass Ciera is in WV right now, parked on my grandparent's lawn. I might go get it this winter, or early spring.

--Ryan
Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:57 PM

Talking Welcome to CO

Flatop wagons can be made to look cool. Lots of guys on site have them. Good luck with your restoration
Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM

Heh, seriously, Jack Ryan...I don't think my mother realized I was named after a Tom Clancy character
Very good! That was what I immediately thought of.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
Cutlass Lover

Howdy Jack! Welcome aboard!!! This is a great site - These guys are the best! Lots of experience and knowledge on here, and they're always willing to help out. Keep us posted on your progress. I like your wagon!
Old November 3rd, 2009, 04:39 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Howdy Ya'll is the way we speak over ere too. Ever non and again, I's gots to give the board an English lesson.

There are a number of members in the DFW area.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 05:57 AM

Welcome.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:25 PM

Welcome to the site, wagons are cool man.They're also some of the better cars to drag race too.

Toss an air ride and some rims on that bad boy