The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Howdy all!

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2011, 12:23 PM

Howdy all!

New member, just traded for my second Oldsmobile in my life. First one was in 1992, a 1986 Cutlass Supreme.

So I just traded for a 1965 Olds Dynamic 88 Holiday coupe. Car looks to be in extremely good shape, and is probably 90% complete as far as restoration goes. Having read how much everyone likes pictures, I am including some. Notice the Buick inside door panels - according to the previous owner, it was the only donor car available.

I am looking for a rear bumper for the car - it has nothing right now, so any leads anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for welcoming me to the group!

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1965-Oldsmobile-Dynamic-88.jpg (60.1 KB, 47 views)
Old December 5th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Welcome to the site Steve! Yes, that's a very clean looking car. Sadly most of the parts cars got crushed years ago as they've got a lot of metal in them. I'd encourage you to create a parts wanted thread for the bumper, and watch ebay and Craigslist really close. There are a couple ways to search several locations on Craigslist. The one I was recently shown is called:

http://www.searchtempest.com/

John
Old December 5th, 2011, 01:26 PM
delete

That is a nice looking ride. I really like the Cragars on the full size cars & like the rook line & color.
Good luck in your bumper quest. Stay diligent.

You can try calling these guys, maybe you get lucky

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...7l1.5.5.1l12l0

http://www.aara.com/aara-auto-part-services/part-search

Last edited by droptopron; December 5th, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old December 5th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Administrator

welcome! Nice car
Old December 5th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome to C.O. Steve! Love the color and stance of the car. You're right - looks like it's ready for cruising. How come no pics of the back side?? Oh, don't worry about no rear bumper. What are your plans for the car? There are lots of us on the site who would be willing to take it for a morning run when it needs some exercise . But then you'd have to replace the rear tires more often

How do you like the big car ride? The 86 Supreme you had was a nice riding/looking car too. What finally happened to it? Enquiring Olds minds wanna know....
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Welcome to C.O. Steve! Love the color and stance of the car. You're right - looks like it's ready for cruising. How come no pics of the back side?? Oh, don't worry about no rear bumper. What are your plans for the car? There are lots of us on the site who would be willing to take it for a morning run when it needs some exercise . But then you'd have to replace the rear tires more often

How do you like the big car ride? The 86 Supreme you had was a nice riding/looking car too. What finally happened to it? Enquiring Olds minds wanna know....
Well Allan, I pulled the pics straight from the ad that the owner before me had posted, and he didn't post any on it, so I have none yet. Raining here in East Tennessee for the next couple of days, so as soon as it clears off I will document it fully with photos.

Plans for the car are to finish it out. Certainly not completely original, but in a resto-mod kind of way while preserving the integrity and legacy of it. Creature comforts are good - a vintage air system of something of the sort would be a welcome addition in the sultry summer southern months.

I am not real sure what happened to the CS - I traded it on a (gasp) Camaro.

Love the big car ride - brought it home from Kentucky on Sunday, and ran between 55-80 all the way home, "floating" all the way. Gotta love those old suspensions and seats.

I will start a thread for a bumper. Wanted to introduce myself first and get to know everyone before throwing up a "hey help me out" post.

Seems like a good place to be.

Thanks,

Steve
Old December 25th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Tony

nice looking car olds bumpers are a @%$@& to find67 and older and non cutlass I will keep my eyes open
Old December 26th, 2011, 11:01 PM

Welcome to the forum!!! Nice car!!!
Old January 23rd, 2012, 04:00 PM

Alrighty then, we have a bumper out of San Jose, CA. Needs rechroming (as they almost always do), but at least one is in hand. Goignt through all the parts, I need the lower right tail light assembly for the bumper, and the left backup light assembly. Everything else I have.

Replaced the broken original turn signal cam and canceller, all works now. Replaced all the dash light, and they all work now (even the green indicator lamps to tell you where the ash trays are in the dark)

Put the kick panel vents in place - it was freezing with 30-ish temps blowing in all the time. Don't know if the vacuum system works yet or not, but at least we are not freezing when we drive it!

So much for the updates - off to find more parts!

Steve
Old April 26th, 2016, 02:18 PM

Greetings again, kind Olds people! Back again, with a new project. 1957 4 door, and rat rod is too kind of a term for this car. It's a ROUGH project. But at least I have one. Pics will be forthcoming soon, I hope.

Steve
Old April 26th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Cool, do you still have the 88? Start a new thread for the 57 in the Vintage section. Those guys can help you a lot.
Old May 1st, 2016, 04:17 PM

Will do, oldcutlass. I sold the 88 while back to finish my C-10. Now that it's on the road I picked this one up.

Steve