The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

How to remove A/C Vents in a 69 442

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2012, 05:34 AM

How to remove A/C Vents in a 69 442

I was hoping someone could offer me insight on how to remove the ac vents in a 69 442. I want to replace the ducting behind them and it is really difficult reaching the vent on the drivers side.

Thanks for you insights.
Old July 30th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by pav822
I was hoping someone could offer me insight on how to remove the ac vents in a 69 442. I want to replace the ducting behind them and it is really difficult reaching the vent on the drivers side.

Thanks for you insights.
The vents are attached to the backside of the dash pad with screws. There is a round-to-rectangular adapter that snaps onto the back of the vent, but the only way to remove the vent is to pull the dash pad. You might find it easiest to remove the steering column to improve access for installing the ducting.
Old July 30th, 2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The vents are attached to the backside of the dash pad with screws. There is a round-to-rectangular adapter that snaps onto the back of the vent, but the only way to remove the vent is to pull the dash pad. You might find it easiest to remove the steering column to improve access for installing the ducting.
Joe, that's not completely correct. The side vents can be removed with the pad in the car because the screws are visible by looking in through the front of the vent. Once the 2 screws are removed, (carefully so they don't fall into the ducting) the vents can be removed out the front but it usually takes gently pushing down on the pad material around the vent to pop it out. There will be a plastic insert also held in by those screws and this insert accepts the round-to-rectangular adapter. It's a tight fit up in the driver's side but if someone can reach up in there, the vent hose adapter can be pulled off of the plastic insert. I think there is a small tab on the top or bottom and Olds also put a piece of tape across the connection. I think the actual vent hose is held onto the round-to-rectangular adapter with a staple. The dash pad can stay in the car to do all of this work. Removing the headlight swicth can make the driver's side a little easier.