The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

how dangerous and how is engine performance if not grounded properly

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2012, 10:31 PM

Can someone please help me with an electrical issue I may have. After having the crossover replaced the other day, the exhaust guy thought I had a cylinder that wasn't firing right. I went to check plug wires and got a little kiss. I noticed ground wire is rotted away. How safe is this and how is this affecting engine performance??? Merry Christmas World!!!

Last edited by 1977 Delta 88 Flint; December 24th, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Lansing built

I dosen't take that much money or time to replace the ground wire! If you got a poke from one of the wires you may have found the culprit, if it was mine I would replace all the wires, one at time, just don't go yanking all off wires off at the same time do to firing order and length of wires!

This process makes it easier, I made that mistake at 16yrs old, have not done that since.

Pat
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 1977 Delta 88 Flint
I think the real question is:
"Why not just fix the ground wire?"

I noticed ground wire is rotted away. How safe is this and how is this affecting engine performance???
I am not familiar with the '77s, but I'm under the impression that they no longer had the ground strap from the back of the head to the firewall.
I believe that they had a pigtail off the Negative battery terminal that went to a ground screw in the vicinity of the core support or front fender.

If you could show us picture of the wire in question, it would be helpful.

To finally answer your questions:
1. Not dangerous.
2. Will not affect performance.

To answers the questions you didn't ask:
1. Will cause miscellaneous electrical problems, including dim headlights and mysterious radio problems with modern stereos.
2. Has nothing to do with your spark plug wires.
3. Yes, you should replace your leaky spark plug wires, as they WILL reduce your performance and fuel economy (not to mention making the car not start on rainy days).

Merry Christmas!

- Eric
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:37 AM
same but different

Yea, these systems need a dedicated ground. If not, they'll oddly find one. Usually thorugh the shifter cable or the trans and its fluid. Electrolisis is bad thing.
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Administrator

It's not dangerous with one of the ground straps corroded as there are many other places to pick up one. They are there for a reason however, so replace it when you get a chance.

If you have 1 leaking plug wire you can bet the rest leak also. This is a good time to do a tuneup, cap, rotor, plugs, and wires, if it has been a while.
Old December 25th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Let's back up a little. First, there is NO WAY you would have felt anything from a 12V ground wire. Any "kiss" you got would have been from the spark plug wires, which means that you need new plug wires.
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

When he said,
I went to check plug wires and got a little kiss.
I ASSumed that he was talking about geting a kick from the plug wire when he touched it.

Perhaps I was mistaken.

- Eric
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
It's not dangerous with one of the ground straps corroded as there are many other places to pick up one. They are there for a reason however, so replace it when you get a chance.

If you have 1 leaking plug wire you can bet the rest leak also. This is a good time to do a tuneup, cap, rotor, plugs, and wires, if it has been a while.
I took car in for a bad oil leak. Mechanic there said and to me looked like new wires, plugs, cap. But then again the guy offered to do side work and said it was the rear main seal, it turned out to be a bad oil sender. So Idk? I will ground the engine off somewhere. The ground strap for mine is located on the front left hand side of engine. Water could easily get to it. But I got a kiss from a couple other wires, but have no electrical issues?
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
When he said,

I ASSumed that he was talking about geting a kick from the plug wire when he touched it.

Perhaps I was mistaken.

- Eric
I went to check if plug wires were snug and got zapped by a couple different wires. I'm not so sure, but will look later for a replaced engine ground. Its 32 degrees or colder. I give 3/4 pumps on the gas and she fires right up...
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:51 AM

Thank you all for the help. If anyone knows a good mechanic near Flint, Michigan send him my way. Happy holiday's all...
Old December 25th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I went to check if plug wires were snug and got zapped by a couple different wires.
If your spark plug wires are leaky, they're no good.

You have to replace them.

- Eric