The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hiya from NC :-)

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2010, 06:39 PM

Hiya from NC :-)

Just an intro to say hi and I'll ask my tech questions in other forums, but to give you guys a little back ground, I'm 28 and I just got out of the USAF. My last duty station was in Okinawa, Japan, and I'm heading back there as a civilian ATC'er in a few months. My parents currently have my grandfather's 1975 Olds Cutlass Salon parked in their garage (90k miles IIRC) and thanks to a "older than 1976" rule, I can take it to Japan no questions asked with very few modifications for compliance. I'm sure I'll drive it for a bit, but the main point of taking it over there is to sell it to some random Japanese dude with too much $ that's really into classic American cars (lots of those over there) and give the car a good home. I'll pretty much be asking questions pertaining to getting it on the road over there.

No newb to cars BTW. I'm an American muscle guy at heart (Ford ), currently drive a jeep with a 4.6L stroker motor in it, but most recently had a Nissan Skyline packing around 600hp. I'm no ricer by any stretch, but I was over there for 4 years so I needed something to play with and I'll tell ya, I'm pretty damn impressed with what some of those cars can do.

Sorry for the long winded speach, but I hope to learn a lot about Oldsmobiles from ya'll
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:43 PM
...should get a life....

Welcome.
Just bought a 72 442 from NC (Lexington). Right now it's somewhere between there and Wilmington CA on the first leg of its journey down here to Australia. That's it in the avatar.
I had an R34 GTT Skyline for a few years as my daily driver. I put over 240,000 kms on it and it never gave me a seconds trouble. Went like a shot cat and handled like a slotcar.
Most young blokes had R32s & R33s cos R34s were expensive. Used to turn a lot of heads as there weren't many on the road when I got mine. Especially the girls. But they turned them back again pretty quickly when they saw this old fart behind the wheel. Probably a few still seeing the chiropractor.
Sold it to a bloke up in Brisbane who is going to do it up for the show circuit. Personally, I'd rather take the Olds to shows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Skyline 2.08.jpg (84.0 KB, 11 views)
Old January 29th, 2010, 09:10 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service! There are a lot of helpful people on this forum so ask any questions you might have. Sounds like a nice car, are you sure you will want to give it up?
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:04 PM

welcome aboard great car in your avatar
Old January 30th, 2010, 07:43 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Nice ride, great to have you aboard
Old January 30th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard
Old January 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys and I'll try and get some pics up soon. The original paint is pretty faded, and there is a bit of surface rust, but most of the trim pieces are still there, and the interior is mint with a piece or two needing fixed. Upholstery is perfect, and I just have a small issue with the rear defrost not working and the shifter bezel slider is gone. The thing was parked in the garage 90% of the time and rarely came out. About 40k miles out of the 90k came from my dad daily commuting an hour away and back everyday on the freeway. I wish he wouldn't have put all the miles on it, but at least the car is getting used.

Col Wickham--nice looking R34. Mine was an R32 GTSt with a RB25 dropped in and a pretty big **** turbo off a diesel truck :-) I just can't stand the backside of 34's and 33's are to fat, so I went R32. Like you said, the fact they are a lot cheaper helps a lot!
Old February 1st, 2010, 08:02 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. I noticed your user name when reviewing new membership applications and immediately thought of the Nissan Skyline. Was stationed at Misawa Japan and on Okinawa Japan when I was in the Navy. The older Skylines were the equivalent of American muscle cars over there, understand what you mean about being impressed with them.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:00 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Welcome to CO. I noticed your user name when reviewing new membership applications and immediately thought of the Nissan Skyline. Was stationed at Misawa Japan and on Okinawa Japan when I was in the Navy. The older Skylines were the equivalent of American muscle cars over there, understand what you mean about being impressed with them.
They were quicker than muscle cars. They changed the face of motor racing here in Australia to the point where we changed the rules so they couldn't compete. I understand the same happened in Europe and even in Japan in production car racing. In 1992 they won our most famous race, the Bathurst 1000. 1000kms around the amazing Mt Panorama track with two bags of cement in the trunk and they still couldn't catch it. The R32GTR Skyline was years ahead of its time and is still one of the all time great motor cars...in my humble opinion.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:36 AM
Registered

You can call it anything and boast of all of it's accomplishments but it's still a lousy rice burner.
In my humble opinion I wouldn't be caught dead driving or riding in the thing.
I wouldn't even amazingly hit a Dingo in the butt with it.

Why buy a 442? The future car was quicker than the sloth-like muscle cars?

Muscle cars, gotta' hate 'em.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 03:16 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Bluevista
You can call it anything and boast of all of it's accomplishments but it's still a lousy rice burner.
In my humble opinion I wouldn't be caught dead driving or riding in the thing.
I wouldn't even amazingly hit a Dingo in the butt with it.

Why buy a 442? The future car was quicker than the sloth-like muscle cars?

Muscle cars, gotta' hate 'em.
I guess the closer to Japan you live the broader your mind gets
Tough decision....... a quick lap in a GTR or the family truckster with the see-thu roof..... let me ponder that for a millisecond....I smell rice burnin' !
Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:36 AM
Cutlass Lover

You're funny Colonel!!! What's the status of the handsomest one???
Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:51 PM

welcome to the forum

greetz marc
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:58 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
You're funny Colonel!!! What's the status of the handsomest one???
The Handsomest One was supposed to hit the high seas this Sunday but it's been put back a week because of loading problems. The company I used to move it from NC to CA (M2Reeves Car Shipping) was fantastic so I'm putting in a plug for them. Inexpensive and efficient. A rare combination these days.