The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi from newbie

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2020, 11:15 AM
Deb

Hi from newbie

Hi, my name is Debbie and I am a proud owner of a 72 cutlass. It was my moms car for 30+ years and she really babied it. Lots of good memories of her in the car.
Old May 12th, 2020, 11:27 AM

Welcome, beautiful Olds.
Old May 12th, 2020, 11:36 AM
Old School Olds

Welcome to Classic Olds. More pics if you have them, 64-72 rule.
Old May 12th, 2020, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Welcome Debbie, looks to be in pretty good shape. What are your plans for it?
Old May 12th, 2020, 02:18 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... It's always good to hear of Oldsmobiles with a family history...
Old May 12th, 2020, 02:20 PM
Deb

thanks for the compliments

Right now my plans are to clean it up and enjoy. I want to do some touch ups on the paint, put the chrome back on it. I'm buffing out right now and was going to order some touch up paint. Looking at the pics for colors I believe its the pinehurst green but the number on it is 14 which I believe is silver mist. Its definitely green. Unless it was painted before it was three years old my parents never painted it and it would have to have been off frame. The paint on the hood and trunk are cracking, due to financial issues I must fix myself for now. I have the chrome trim to put back on it minus the parts for the wheel wells. Mechanically when I got it we put new brakes, shocks, hoses, on it. It had been garaged for more than 20 years with the gas drained and the battery pulled. We put gas in, hot battery, and started her up and drove it. My parents had put new tires on it, seats covered, and new vinyl top, then parked it. I even drove on the tires till I could replace them, lol. And one of you said more pics if I had them, asking for things like that could get you in trouble, I love the excuse to send more!

Old May 12th, 2020, 03:25 PM
same but different

Hi Deb, welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy driving it for many years. There is always a bit of work to do them but they provide a lot of smiles per gallon.
Old May 12th, 2020, 06:39 PM

That's a damn nice car Deb! Welcome.
Old May 12th, 2020, 06:45 PM
Running On Empty

Holy Guacamole. When I first saw your very first picture (mostly that old church/school house) I thought to myself (because I lived in the Ozarks outside of Jasper way back in the hills for a fair number of years) that sure resembles Arkansas. Having viewed your follow-up pictures has confirmed my suspicions. Love Arkansas. Welcome aboard.
Old May 12th, 2020, 07:14 PM

Welcome! Lookin good.
Old May 12th, 2020, 08:10 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Don't worry about the cosmetics, just drive it and have fun. I drove my car for 8 years with three colors of primer in addition to the gold paint, so I will say yours looks a lot better than mine did.

Drive it and have fun, don't worry about the small stuff.
Old May 17th, 2020, 03:40 PM

Looks like a nice piece of family history! Keep and enjoy it!
Old May 17th, 2020, 04:35 PM

Nice car. Give it a hug and some love. Welcome to Oldsmobiles.

Wayne
Old May 18th, 2020, 03:56 PM
Head Floor Sweeper

Nice Oldsmobile! Welcome to the forum, there’s a bunch of knowledgeable gentlemen here, I’m sure you’ll find help with any questions you have.

Travis
Old May 19th, 2020, 06:34 AM
Deb

Travis

Thank you for the welcome
Old May 19th, 2020, 08:08 AM

Welcome Deb, Question How many miles are on your car? The reason I'm asking is that our cars came with a nylon toothed timing gear and right around 75,000 miles they fail. Its happened to me so if its got that many miles it would be prudent to have it changed. Its a lot cheaper than rebuilding a whole engine. Just my two cents worth. Guy
Old May 19th, 2020, 02:29 PM

Welcome to the site, my first Olds was also a 72 Cutlass, also with great memories.
Old May 21st, 2020, 11:50 AM

welcome Deb

Welcome to the forums, nice car, it already has dual exhaust so Im guessing it has a 350 4 Barrel as well??
Old May 21st, 2020, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Welcome to the forums, nice car, it already has dual exhaust so Im guessing it has a 350 4 Barrel as well??
ohhhh keep your eye on these boyz they are a fairly dangerous LOL.... JK
Old May 21st, 2020, 02:04 PM
Deb

Eddie

Thank you for the compliment, regrettably not a four barrel
Old May 21st, 2020, 02:54 PM
Running On Empty

Deb - I have a '71 CS convertible and along w/ it came the stock (Sienna color) steering wheel separated w/ several nice cracks just like the cracks in your steering wheel. Here's an easy, manageable and modestly durable long-lasting and (this is the sweet part) - inexpensive fix.
Grab a tube of caulk from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. which matches your steering wheel - they sell many colors of caulk. Looks like yours is black. On day 1 fill each crack w/ some caulk. Remove excess with liberal amounts of water - place a towel on the seat to catch water. Use your fingers to apply the caulk and remove excess caulk w/ water. Perform the same over the next several days or week or whatever. You'll be surprised how well it addresses the cracks, and how well it adheres.
Old May 21st, 2020, 08:24 PM
Deb

Vintage Chief

Thank you! What type of caulking?? I will definitely get to Home Depot within the next few days, I had no idea what I was going to do about the steering wheel
Old May 21st, 2020, 08:38 PM
Running On Empty

You're going to find an array of caulking types and manufacturers. I'd take a look for you but my caulking tubes (which are the long tubes used in a caulking gun) - about x20 of them (some open/some not open) are out in the man-cave stored in a box.
You'll often find more colors in the tubes which fit a caulking gun than you will in the smaller hand-held tubes. None-the-less, two suggestions would be not to grab one of the types which contain fine sand (some types do contain a fine caulking grit - generally sand) as they're generally used for sealing cracks, etc. which can be sanded after they set and dry. The other suggestion would be to buy one which doesn't dry as a pliable flexible material, buy one which sets and dries firm (not flexible) but it may not be a deal breaker. Even the least expensive caulk is going to be just fine. You're going to pay a tad more for a colored caulk than you will for a clear or white caulk, and the colored caulks are generally of the same uniform mixtures - mostly silicone. Don't be overwhelmed - you'll see a bunch of them in various colors. Good luck!
Old May 21st, 2020, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Guy Fillinger
our cars came with a nylon toothed timing gear and right around 75,000 miles they fail.
I don't think that applies to all engines. My 1970 Supreme had 99,000 miles on it when I rebuilt the engine due to cracked piston rings caused by detonation because a dumb high school kid over-reved the engine while running cheap gas, and at that time the timing gear was still doing its job. So yeah, it's something to be aware of.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 09:04 PM
Deb

Vintage chief

Thank you for taking time to answer my question