The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi new in va and lost from start to finish

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2010, 03:50 PM

Question Hi new in va and lost from start to finish

Hello co im 20 in the city of norfolk and i just bought dream car even if its 4 dr instead of two..... I have a 72 4dr gold cutlass 2bbl single so you should know its a "h" but my lower fenders rusted and my front and back rusted around windows, inner doors lite rust, and i dont have a key for trunk. Also i need to gut my car cause its molded inside and dont know where to start. Then my car dont start, carb rusted, dont know which book to buy to get started on car but i will flip my dream into reality soon as i know what to do......... Oh how do i pop my trunk lock witout drillin it out
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:05 PM

I think you can remove the back seat and crawl in the trunk to release it. Sounds like fun.I would get it running first so you can have a little fun before you tear into it.
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Oldsdruid

Spend the money on a locksmith to make a key for the trunk. No point in busting up a perfectly good lock or going thru a snake dance to access it thru the back seat.

Try cleaning the mold/mildew off everything as much as possible. There are cleaners that can do it, or you can mix up a weak bleach solution to kill it. Mold is a sign water is getting in somewhere, probably around those rusted window openings. I expect you'll have to scrap the carpet but you should be able to get new even for a four-door, since these cars are identical to same year Chevelles body-wise.

To be honest, any money you spend on a four-door is going to be because you truly like the car, not because you'll ever get your money back.

Just curious- where has this car been all this time to be in as bad a shape as you've said?
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:38 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Before you tear into anything buy a 72 chassis service manuel and maybe the fisher body manuel. You can find them pretty easy on ebay. If you ask nice someone on this board might be able to sell them to you. They have been a ton of help to me.
welcome and post some pics when tou get the chance.
Larry
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO Joe.
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:22 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Nice to have a "Chief Executive Officer" on board. Kinda makes us look important.
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:26 AM

Welcome Aboard
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:48 AM

well when i first seen the car it was in Portsmouth. I really was lookin @ a 64 caddy deville but they wanted toooo much for me 25g so the dealer told me to look around they had 64 impala yellow and white boomer, old T-bird, but i seen 72 in back.... they had it for a while in cut but bills and other stuff and ppl sayin dont buy a car that dont work keep me from gettin it, but i keep track of it until one day the lot was empty. i did sum back ground work found the car and bought it on spot... its in my drive way now just got 6500 distributor bout to order carb and get wires today to start car
Old May 20th, 2010, 01:56 PM

wats the firing order for my 72 cutlass
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:04 PM

wats sum good book to take whole car apart and put back together yourself? I got 20 auto guys sum wit shop sum witout but all bs either price trynna rip my head off or gettin lost.... i need sum help