The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi guys. New here and loocing for opinions.

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2012, 02:49 PM

Hi guys. New here and looking for opinions.

Hi guy and thanks for all the info on here.

I have a 66-442 That my parents bought new and i have owned since i was 16 (1982). It has the original motor, trans, rear, etc etc. I still have the original 4 speed console and vacuum gauge.

When it gets warm out, i am planning on starting a frame off resto. Thought about removing the original motor, trans, and rear (going to keep it so its still numbers matching if i want) and build a 455 with 6 speed and AC.

Anybody have any builds they like or suggestion about motor and trans build? Kinda always wanted a blower motor but still want to go big block.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by Rylos; February 14th, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old February 14th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Administrator

This is one of those times that I would have to say keep it stock! Original 1 family owned 66-442 with history, priceless! If your going to build a car, buy a plain old Cutlass and restomod it!
Old February 14th, 2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
this is one of those times that i would have to say keep it stock! Original 1 family owned 66-442 with history, priceless! If your going to build a car, buy a plain old cutlass and restomod it!
x2
Old February 14th, 2012, 04:16 PM

I was in the same boat as you. I am the second owner, I bought my 66 442 from my father in law. Build it the way you want it. Especially if you are keeping all of the original pieces. Besides does it really matter what it's worth if you never plan on selling it?

The way I look at it I would not be happy with a stock 442 right now.
Old February 14th, 2012, 04:28 PM

Welcome to CO

I'm a tweener, either way works for me, but that being said keep all the parts to put it back to stock. That way you will have no regrets
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:34 PM

Well thanks for the comments and sorry it took so long to reply! For some reason the site would not let me post and i got tired of trying!

Im thinking resto-mod. The best of both worlds.... I think.

Going to pull the original drive train and got from there! Going to do the modern brakes, suspension, and im going to keep an Olds engine.

Now the next question is....... Big block with turbo, carbs, or go modern and fuel injection of some sort????

Comments???
Old May 20th, 2012, 02:58 PM

Your car to do what you want. But I'm with the keep it stock crowd. Still all original one family owned, man it doesn't get any better than this when it comes to an original classic. Buy a Cutlass shell and build the resto-mod you want. Think what it would be like to pass on to your son someday the original car that Grandma and Grandad purchased new. One of a kind family heriloom. AND a highly modified car that Dad built If your anywhere close to my part of the country I'll help you come up with a Cutlass to build. You can also bolt on the 442 emblems, grills, trim, etc. if you want that look. John
Old May 20th, 2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rylos
Well thanks for the comments and sorry it took so long to reply! For some reason the site would not let me post and i got tired of trying!

Im thinking resto-mod. The best of both worlds.... I think.

Going to pull the original drive train and got from there! Going to do the modern brakes, suspension, and im going to keep an Olds engine.

Now the next question is....... Big block with turbo, carbs, or go modern and fuel injection of some sort????

Comments???
if your going to do it, cause it sounds like your headed that way no matter what anyone says, it has to be blown out full turbos! jmo
Old May 20th, 2012, 05:00 PM

I was watching the Power Block special this morning and it was a 2 hour special in their Search and Restore series where they pick some truly deserving guy and restore his car for him. They go hog wild with the latest and greatest of everything using donated parts and labor. So I was thinking what would I do with my 56 Olds if money was no object. The car has been in my family for 56 years since it was new. The answer is not much.

If it was just any old car that I picked up that already had others making mods before I got it, well then it would be anything goes. It would just be another old car. But this car has a lifetime of memories and preserving the car with maybe a few minor changes is like a family photo album, I can't replace it. I could find another one and try to duplicate it, but it just wouldn't be the same.
Old May 20th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Your car to do what you want. But I'm with the keep it stock crowd. Still all original one family owned, man it doesn't get any better than this when it comes to an original classic. Buy a Cutlass shell and build the resto-mod you want. Think what it would be like to pass on to your son someday the original car that Grandma and Grandad purchased new. One of a kind family heriloom. AND a highly modified car that Dad built If your anywhere close to my part of the country I'll help you come up with a Cutlass to build. You can also bolt on the 442 emblems, grills, trim, etc. if you want that look. John

I've got to agree with John on this one.
I had a stock 66 442 once upon a time...
If you have children, what a gift!
My son wouldn't say it, but I know he was pissed
when I sold it.
When times are tough, you gotta do what you gotta do,
He knows that now, but then, man it was rough, more
for me than him, because I told him it was going to be his.
Good luck with watever you decide and welcome!