The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi from australia

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:49 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Hi from australia

Hi everyone, just joined up , i have just purchased a 1955 olds super 88 . its in california at present waiting to be shipped to sydney, its for my wife , we can't wait for it to get here , im sure we will be able to get any information we may need from this forum.
cheers
55OLDSETC016.jpg
55OLDSETC017.jpg
55OLDSETC018.jpg
55OLDSETC019.jpg
55OLDSETC020.jpg
55OLDSETC021.jpg
55OLDSETC022.jpg
55OLDSETC023.jpg
55OLDSETC024.jpg

Last edited by rocketdownunder; April 26th, 2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: pics
Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:54 PM

That is sweet, welcome.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:55 PM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

The Col down there is sweating bullets waiting for his to arrive.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ah-why-me.html
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:19 PM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!! Very nice!!!!
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:21 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Welcome aboard

The Col down there is sweating bullets waiting for his to arrive.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ah-why-me.html
Wow, hope its smooth sailing for our olds , this will be the first time for us buying and shipping from the US, so far so good, just can't find 50's olds here for sale, well a good one anyway, and if we did im sure it would cost alot more than what we are paying even with the shipping costs,thanks for the warm welcome.
cheers chris.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
1972 98 & 1984 H/O

Wow! Beautiful car Chris!

For the wife...are you sure? Somehow I think she will only be able to drive it when you are sleeping or out of town.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:51 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Originally Posted by Danny Boy
Wow! Beautiful car Chris!

For the wife...are you sure? Somehow I think she will only be able to drive it when you are sleeping or out of town.
Well i just wan't to say our family loves all american cars we are members of the american muscle car club of australia, i own (please don't hate me)a convertible mustang, which has had alot of modifications including a 500 hp 408ci motor which i bought here in sydney 5 years ago. its a bit of a racer so we wan't something original and stock and different , we saw this olds and just fell in love, my wifes dream was to go cruisn in a 50's american car, her dream is about to come true, happy wife , happy life.
cheers chris
muzkiama.jpg
top photo before 500 hp motor , bottom photo after 500 hp motor
026.jpg

Last edited by rocketdownunder; April 27th, 2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:11 PM

Talking Welcome to Co

Wow,what a great find,. You and your wife will love it. It's no slouch for a big car, you will be suprised.

Love those 50's cars
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM

Welcome from another newbie. I have friends living in Sydney for last 20 years or so. I'll have to go visit someday.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:37 PM

Chris,

I have a 55 super 88 holiday coupe. Don't expect to find anything for that car in Australia theres no parts here for them at all. So might be worthwhile throwing a few things in the boot before it leaves Cali.

Looks like its in nice condition. guessing its still the 324 and hydro? Just an FYI Holden tierod ends replace the original outers, but only one, as in instead of using the R and L thread ones as you would on a holden the Olds only uses one of them, can't remember if its R or L thread.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:57 PM

That is a nice lookin' Olds! As you now own an Olds we'll forgive your slight indiscretion with the F*rd, (tha't a four letter word that isn't allowed in a family forum!). Chalk it up to youth!
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:14 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Originally Posted by flatoz
Chris,

I have a 55 super 88 holiday coupe. Don't expect to find anything for that car in Australia theres no parts here for them at all. So might be worthwhile throwing a few things in the boot before it leaves Cali.

Looks like its in nice condition. guessing its still the 324 and hydro? Just an FYI Holden tierod ends replace the original outers, but only one, as in instead of using the R and L thread ones as you would on a holden the Olds only uses one of them, can't remember if its R or L thread.
Yeh i realise about the not finding parts here , but i'm prepared to wait for parts when i need them, thanks for the tips, a 89 year old retired dentist owned the car previous, had the car restored in 2007.
The pictures were taken on a phone camera, the olds is much nicer in the flesh than the photos show.
cheers chris.ps yes its still got the 324 and hydro

Last edited by rocketdownunder; March 3rd, 2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
That is a nice lookin' Olds! As you now own an Olds we'll forgive your slight indiscretion with the F*rd, (tha't a four letter word that isn't allowed in a family forum!). Chalk it up to youth!
I new you guys would forgive me for my act of madness 5 years ago, but im better now
cheers chris.

Last edited by rocketdownunder; April 27th, 2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:03 PM

great 55 ' welcome to the forum ,

belgium greetz

marc
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site.
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Olds + Mopar = Happiness

Welcome, good to see a 55
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:22 PM

If you would like to park that beauty in England for a rest on the way down under I have lots of room Andy
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:41 PM

55 Olds

Good to have you aboard. I also have a 55 and love it. They are great crusers and head turners in the states, can't imagine what one would do in the down under. ...Tedd
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:37 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Good to have you aboard. I also have a 55 and love it. They are great crusers and head turners in the states, can't imagine what one would do in the down under. ...Tedd
Thank you to everyone for your kind words, and yes ted there are alot of our friends here eagerly awaiting the arrivel of our olds , havn't really seen any 50's olds here,plenty of chevs though, the waiting for it is a killer.
cheers chris.
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:49 AM
...should get a life....

G'day Chris.
I guess we'll be meeting up in the not too distant....... My Olds gets here in a week or so (arrives Auckland tomorrow & hopefully Sydney next weekend) and I'll be joining the AMCCA as soon as it's on the road. The waiting is a killer. So's the website I've found which tracks the ship and tells you what size waves it's battling.
Is Mick Donaher from the club shipping it out? Looks like the Mustang shot was taken at Wollongong ???? So where in Sydney are y'all from?
Cheers
Old March 5th, 2010, 03:27 AM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
G'day Chris.
I guess we'll be meeting up in the not too distant....... My Olds gets here in a week or so (arrives Auckland tomorrow & hopefully Sydney next weekend) and I'll be joining the AMCCA as soon as it's on the road. The waiting is a killer. So's the website I've found which tracks the ship and tells you what size waves it's battling.
Is Mick Donaher from the club shipping it out? Looks like the Mustang shot was taken at Wollongong ???? So where in Sydney are y'all from?
Cheers
Hi Col ,
I would have loved to use mick, but the guy that found the olds for me is also a shipper, he came with good feed back from others that have used him, so i felt obliged to use him to ship the car aswell, mate you will love the AMCCA , top bunch of blokes and chicks, we have runs on evey weekend , the mustang shot was at kiama ( blow hole), I live in the malabar area (south east) , you can tell me your shipping saga over a beer as mine will probably still be at sea when yours is on the road here , the olds won't be leaving CA till end of next week
cheers.

Last edited by rocketdownunder; March 5th, 2010 at 03:30 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old March 5th, 2010, 04:19 AM
...should get a life....

Looking forward to catching up. Really nice looking car, and to Tedd's point, if they turn heads in the States it'll do some chiropractic damage down here. Oldsmobiles from any era are as rare as rocking horse poo.
I can guarantee that 9 outa 10 people won't know what mine is cos it doesn't say Oldsmobile anywhere on it and they'll think 442 is the engine size. And that's OK by me.
Good site this one Chris...you'll enjoy it. The guys really know their stuff. Just don't get on the wrong side of Cutlassgal....she can get a bit narky when the "Prettiest One's" locked away for the winter.
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Cutlass Lover

.......Just don't get on the wrong side of Cutlassgal....she can get a bit narky when the "Prettiest One's" locked away for the winter.

Yep...Yep....Yep.... I sure can!! LOL!! And especially when SOMEONE tries to Hijack The Prettiest One!!!
Old March 6th, 2010, 12:53 AM

What the hell did those blokes just say? I think I was readin' English.
Whatever... Welcome to the Forum!
Hi from Canada!
Old March 6th, 2010, 02:04 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Jaybird
What the hell did those blokes just say? I think I was readin' English.
Whatever... Welcome to the Forum!
Hi from Canada!
Sorry.... if we put "eh" at the end of every sentence would that make it easier to follow?
Most Americans I've met reckon Aussies speak quickly. I was certainly aware of that when I was doing the deal on the Olds with the seller who comes from South Carolina (2 words per minute territory) and the transport company from Oregon (6 words per minute). I had to slow my speech down heaps to be understood. Same in Canada when I was there years ago.
We do tend to write as we speak mate.
So when I say "owyagoanjavagoodweeken", it simply means "how are you going? Did you have a good weekend?"......eh!
Old March 6th, 2010, 02:36 AM

WTH is "Narky"?
Old March 6th, 2010, 02:41 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
WTH is "Narky"?
Cranky, bitchy, nasty, agro.........
You know.....normal woman stuff
Old March 6th, 2010, 07:21 AM

Cranky, bitchy, nasty, agro.........
Damn coffee all over the keyboard again hahahahahahahah..............
Old March 6th, 2010, 12:35 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Yeh just abit of aussie lingo
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Cutlass Lover

....Cranky, bitchy, nasty, agro.........

Colonel...... I don't know what "agro" is, but it sounds like you're describing my hubby!!!
Old March 6th, 2010, 08:52 PM
...should get a life....

[quote=cutlassgal;155087
Colonel...... I don't know what "agro" is, but it sounds like you're describing my hubby!!! [/quote]

Not a chance.....I reckon if he got "agro" you'd shorten him up.
Agro is "Strine" (Australian) for "aggression or aggressive"

Eg: He's an agro bastard....."He is an aggressive chap"

There was a fair bit of agro before the boys bunged the blue on up the pub last night........"The situation got fairly heated at the hotel last night before the patrons started punching each other".

See tseazy.
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:06 AM

When I was in Australia 7 years ago I spent a fair amount of time in the pubs and had a ball listening to the lingo and drinking with all the friends the four of us made over there. Great people. Can't wait to go back again
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:06 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

The wife and i are planning a big trip to the US in about 4 years time , hoping to stay 4 weeks , waiting for the kids to get abit older before we go, We are so hangin to go to sema and as many car shows as we can, ive been blessed my wife loves all this car stuff , we both always go to car shows and club drives together, just makes it so much more enjoyable, it also helps when you break them and have to fix them she doesn't get all narky
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:50 PM
" Hoo yah "

Thumbs up Welcome

Welcome to the site. I'm sure you will find a wealth of information on this site. I was in Perth in 2003. Very nice people and beautiful women!! I have never had so many people buy me alcohol in my life, and women buy dinner for me!! Loved it also went to Hobart, Tasmania. I hope I can go back one day, I had so much fun!!
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:48 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by rocketdownunder
The wife and i are planning a big trip to the US in about 4 years time , hoping to stay 4 weeks , waiting for the kids to get abit older before we go, We are so hangin to go to sema and as many car shows as we can, ive been blessed my wife loves all this car stuff , we both always go to car shows and club drives together, just makes it so much more enjoyable, it also helps when you break them and have to fix them she doesn't get all narky
You're very lucky alright. My missus has no interest in cars or travelling. She's into horses & dressage and going to the gym 7 days a week and that's it. Good friends of ours are the opposite. She loves classic cars and he spends every waking moment in photography forums and never leaves the house. So I take her cruising. Gets her out of the house and gets me some company. It'll be a toss of the coin as to which lady will be sitting in the passenger seat on the Oldmobile's first appearance with the AMCCA.
They're both good lookin' so I'm OK either way.
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:57 PM
...should get a life....

beer goggles

Originally Posted by 815Cutlass1972
Welcome to the site. I'm sure you will find a wealth of information on this site. I was in Perth in 2003. Very nice people and beautiful women!! I have never had so many people buy me alcohol in my life, and women buy dinner for me!! Loved it also went to Hobart, Tasmania. I hope I can go back one day, I had so much fun!!
There might be a direct correlation between how much grog you consumed in Perth and how beautiful the women seemed at the time.
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:57 PM
goin crusn in my55 olds

There might be a direct correlation between how much grog you consumed in Perth and how beautiful the women seemed at the time.
hmm3grin.gif

Last edited by rocketdownunder; April 27th, 2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:24 AM

Welcome to the site Chris! Beautiful car! You will definitely have a true one of a kind car in Sydney. You have come to the right place for Olds answers, this site is great. Plenty of friendly and knowledgeable people, for sure. Cheers, Mike
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:06 PM

Im a new member too from Newcastle, I have been overwhelmed with responses and support. Glad you found the site. Everyone is great.
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:48 AM
goin crusn in my55 olds

Originally Posted by bourbon454
Im a new member too from Newcastle, I have been overwhelmed with responses and support. Glad you found the site. Everyone is great.
Hi michael , 10 days to go before the rocket lands

Quick Reply: Hi from australia