General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cyclone Sarah.......why me ?????

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2010, 04:05 PM
...should get a life....

Question Cyclone Sarah.......why me ?????

A progess report on the Oldmobile's voyage to Sydney.
Of course we've had the predictable tsunami following Chile's trajic earthquake. Had one of those last time I floated an Olds from California to here and it survived. Fired up the PC today to check on the ship's progress and this is what I see..... Of course my boat is the Itajai Express. Just to prove that my ships attract trouble, the last Olds came out on the Cap Bon. It the contest to see who can get the closest to the storm we score Gold and Silver on this occasion.
Sarah is of course heading towards the Itajai Express at exactly twice the speed the boat's travelling.
Maybe if there was a way they could get the 442 down into the engine room and hook it up to the props then maybe they could outrun that storm....

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shiplocations.phtml?lat=-17.8&lon=-164.4&radius=200

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shi...tml?call=A8ID9

Last edited by Col Wickham; March 1st, 2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: picture didn't stick & general incompetency with attachments
Old March 1st, 2010, 04:15 PM

That's a pretty cool site...
I hope your car makes it home to you unharmed...
Old March 1st, 2010, 04:44 PM

DAMN THE CYCLONE! FULL SPEED AHEAD!!!

Perhaps if everyone in Australia started blowing upwards towards the storm, it would slow it down! Wouldn't hurt to try...
Hopefully the ship can at least put up some sails and harness some wind power from the storm...
Regardless, hope your ship comes in safely.
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:44 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I was thinking of shipping a car to Australia and visit some relatives and go on a "Driveabout" ...

What does it cost just for shipping ..?
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:56 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hope it gets there soon. Good luck.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:42 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by mugzilla
I was thinking of shipping a car to Australia and visit some relatives and go on a "Driveabout" ...

What does it cost just for shipping ..?
Shipping cost around US$3,200 from California to Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane...all east coast cities. If your relatives are in Perth, Western Australia, then add about $800 - $1,000.
It's a big country and fuel prices are way higher than in the States so it'll probably be cheaper to fly out and hire a small, economical car. You'll then have money to spend on what we do best......BEER !!!
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:47 PM
...should get a life....

Just checked the shipping chart again and I'll be darned if we ain't leaving that cyclone behind! They must have hooked the Olds up to the prop shafts...(either that or it's a Ford Cyclone)

Last edited by Col Wickham; March 1st, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:18 AM
Registered

Everybody claims to do beer best.

The car will be green when you get it after that boat ride.
I just saw a brand new video on You Tube of some filipino guys doing smoker burnouts in an orange 442 on the deck of a container ship.
I wonder???

I think there should be a hefty cultural relic export fee for the loss of American historical artifacts when you ship cars like that out of this country.

It would be like moving the London Bridge to Arizona or something.
That big red rock you have sticking out of the ground over there would look great in Vegas?
Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I just saw a brand new video on You Tube of some filipino guys doing smoker burnouts in an orange 442 on the deck of a container ship.
I wonder???
I saw that too - cool vid!

If you ever saw London Bridge, the Londoners would not even miss it. Just a plain ol' run of the mill bridge...
Now Tower Bridge is another story!
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
A progess report on the Oldmobile's voyage to Sydney.
Of course we've had the predictable tsunami following Chile's trajic earthquake. Had one of those last time I floated an Olds from California to here and it survived. Fired up the PC today to check on the ship's progress and this is what I see..... Of course my boat is the Itajai Express. Just to prove that my ships attract trouble, the last Olds came out on the Cap Bon. It the contest to see who can get the closest to the storm we score Gold and Silver on this occasion.
Sarah is of course heading towards the Itajai Express at exactly twice the speed the boat's travelling.
Maybe if there was a way they could get the 442 down into the engine room and hook it up to the props then maybe they could outrun that storm....

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shiplocations.phtml?lat=-17.8&lon=-164.4&radius=200

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shi...tml?call=A8ID9

That ship should be able to handle the storm. I was sending a 96,000 lb. pipeline machine to Indonesia and the ship struck a Chinese warship outside Hong Kong. The captain was arrested and the crew had to wait a month to get a new captian. That voyage cost the customer $40,000 to Jakarta and $50,000 return to Vancouver. I assume that the car is blocked and braced in a 20' sea container. That's a pretty good price for Australia.

Make sure you take pictures as soon as you can for your protection...but now that I think of it, chances are you've done this before.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:17 AM
Cutlass Lover

......Cyclone Sarah.......why me ?????

Cause ya messed with The Prettiest One, Colonel! LOL!! Seriously, I hope it gets to you alright. I'd be a nervous wreck by now!
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:35 PM
...should get a life....

Everybody claims to do beer best.

That big red rock you have sticking out of the ground over there would look great in Vegas?

You can have the big red rock.....but you'll have to come & get it

[QUOTE]
Cause ya messed with The Prettiest One, Colonel! LOL!! Seriously, I hope it gets to you alright. I'd be a nervous wreck by now!

Ah...the curse of the Prettiest One !! I can cop that, but please don't use the word "wreck" just now.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:45 PM

Wow,

I hope your car gets Down under before it goes Down under
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:54 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by 442much
That ship should be able to handle the storm. I was sending a 96,000 lb. pipeline machine to Indonesia and the ship struck a Chinese warship outside Hong Kong. The captain was arrested and the crew had to wait a month to get a new captian. That voyage cost the customer $40,000 to Jakarta and $50,000 return to Vancouver. I assume that the car is blocked and braced in a 20' sea container. That's a pretty good price for Australia.

Make sure you take pictures as soon as you can for your protection...but now that I think of it, chances are you've done this before.
They ship 4 cars at a time in a 40' container, 2 up / 2 down. I have plenty of pics of the car and it's insured all the way but I'd rather it arrives unscathed. They usually put the convertibles underneath and wrap them in plastic. The last one didn't have a mark on it. Here's hoping.