The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi to all from a new member

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2015, 09:21 AM

Hi to all from a new member

Hello and Happy Holidays! New to the forum. Bought an all original, paint, convertible top, engine, transmission, everything....1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 2-door convertible a couple months ago. Cleaned up the engine compartment and will see how well the original paint can be restored in the spring. Is it generally better these days to try and keep this as a survivor car? Just curious? Appreciate any and all feedback! Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (1.21 MB, 38 views)
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (1.17 MB, 40 views)
Old December 27th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, looks to be really solid. Survivor status is more important on the more rare and collectable cars, So with that said, yours is a blank slate do with as you see fit without the worry of serious impact on future value.
Old December 28th, 2015, 02:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Welcome on board, Bob! Glad to have you here. You have clean looking ride! Lots of good information on here to play with. Be sure to reach out if there something we could do to help!
Old December 28th, 2015, 04:30 AM

Thanks so much everyone for your replies! I will definitely ask questions from the experts here in the future. Can't wait to just have some fun this summer at the cruise-in shows here in New Jersey. If I can get the rest of the car to look like the engine compartment I just finished, I will be all set! Happy New Year to all! Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (891.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (1.55 MB, 24 views)
Old December 28th, 2015, 05:43 AM

Welcome to Classic Olds. Your car looks to be in great condition. I love cars that you can tell that someone has taken the time and effort to take care of. Just take your time in detailing it , and keep it as original as possible. It will draw attention from folks that like originality. Larry
Old December 28th, 2015, 06:45 AM
GCH

Very nice car BOB

/Glenn.
Old December 28th, 2015, 07:01 AM

Hi Bob, welcome to CO and congratulations on the new Oldsmobile!

Your vert looks great and the originality is certainly something to preserve whenever possible. How does the interior look?

Also do you have any tips on how you got the engine bay so clean? I would like to do the same...

Bill

Ps: whereabouts in NJ are you?
Old December 28th, 2015, 08:39 AM

Car looks great and I would leave it alone as it is so stock looking right now. The DVOC is a local Oldsmobile Club of America chapter that has a couple of shows each year. You may want to consider joining if you are central or southern NJ.
Old December 28th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome. Very nice car. I would work to keep it original as possible. As they say, "it is only original once".
Old December 28th, 2015, 10:04 AM

Thanks again everyone!

Bill....I repainted the engine in the original Olds Rocket Gold, and picked up a superb condition air cleaner on e-bay, since mine was quite rusty. I also repainted the firewall, AC/Alt brackets with black high-temp paint. I cheated and wanted some red under the hood, so painted the oil/tranny dipstick tops, oil fill top and gas line with high-temp red paint. Just took a good wax to the black plastic wheel well covers. Quite a bit of masking-off work and covering....but not tough to do at all, just took some time. The interior is very nice...backseat original....but front seat looks to have been recovered with cloth. I bought the car from the 2nd owner, who bought it just a couple months ago from his friend, who inherited the car from his father, the original owner, up in Portsmouth, Maine. They claimed the cloth front bench seat was an option, but I don't believe it is. Darn nice job with it though, can't tell at all that it was redone.

I am in Central NJ Oldsmaniac....so will definitely look up the Delaware Valley Club right now! I am guessing DVOCA is Delaware Valley?

Happy New Year again!

Bob
Old December 28th, 2015, 11:32 AM

http://clubs.hemmings.com/delvaloldsclub/

Yep, Delaware Valley Oldsmobile Club.
Old December 28th, 2015, 01:50 PM

Smile New member .

nice car , just bought a 442 a year ago , have lots of also .