The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi All 55 Olds 88 Holiday

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2013, 09:09 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Hi All 55 Olds 88 Holiday

Hello everyone. I joined the forum yesterday. I have a plain jane 1955 Olds 88 Holiday 4 dr, no posts, named Hepzibah. It has been in the family since new, and was my grandmother's. She named it, I claim no responsibility.

I have had the car for 20 years, and was a someday project. I helped out a fellow NAOC member 2 weeks ago, which got me started working on my car. Just trying to get it back drivable at this point.

Fuel system and brakes. Steven at Fusick has been great. I have also been a long time NAOC member, #5179, but just getting started on the car. Nothing cosmic I can't handle yet. I do have a friend that says he can get the radio working. Hasn't worked as far as I can remember since the early '70s.

Won't be much else to do really, just paint, engine overhaul, and transmission....yeah right. Long term, not a full restoration, really repair it to daily driver config. Doesn't have to be full NOS parts, but serviceable.

But....I should be out working on the car instead of here typing. Just wanted to say hi.

Last edited by DFitz; August 27th, 2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old August 27th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

We really need to see some pictures. Everybody here loves pictures. It is great it has always been in your family and belonged to your grandmother. My 54 was never in my family but she is named after my grandmother Lessie. My grandmother passed away in 1964 so I can vision her riding in the 54.
Old August 27th, 2013, 09:59 AM

Welcome aboard

As far as fifties era cars go there are probably more 55 than any other year on this board so there are plenty of knowledgeable people here to help if you have a problem. It's always good to add to the pack, many fifties fokes hang out on the vintage forum, drop on down some time and check it out. And yea we need pictures...Lost in the fifties ...tyedd
Old August 27th, 2013, 10:08 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Welcome aboard

As far as fifties era cars go there are probably more 55 than any other year on this board so there are plenty of knowledgeable people here to help if you have a problem. It's always good to add to the pack, many fifties fokes hang out on the vintage forum, drop on down some time and check it out. And yea we need pictures...Lost in the fifties ...tyedd
Thanks guys. I did just post an Album with pictures, and I'll add more here too if I can figure it out. The car really is in pretty good shape considering it's age. Just a couple of major issues. Headlight rust being one.

Yes that is a puddle of oil and transmission fluid on the ground under the car. If I stop for gas, I have to fill up on oil and transmission too. Everything runs ok, the transmission shifts violently hard, just everything leaks.

Last edited by DFitz; August 27th, 2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Inserting Pictures
Old August 27th, 2013, 10:13 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Sorry, but the kids in the pictures are grown up a lot since I took the pictures. 14, and 12 now. That's how long the car has been sitting.

Wow, yup. Control Line Stunt. One of my older planes. Super Tigre 46. That's been sitting as long as the car...
Old August 27th, 2013, 10:23 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Not specific to this forum, but these are my other 2 toys. 1974 Mercury Capri, original paint. This is my car from high school, still have it. The Capri is lightly modified. Headers, cam, suspension, but except for the Panasport wheels, appears stock. 2.8L v-6.

And 1983 911. This was my dad's. As you all know, it's a bit of work to keep them all going--and keep the kids out of trouble. The Porsche is absolutely stock.

Last edited by DFitz; August 27th, 2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old August 27th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Good stuff! Love to see cars held on to...my 71 Supreme Convertible I've had since 1987! Drove her through high school.

Love that Holiday sedan. I've got a few parts so let me know if you need anything!
Old August 29th, 2013, 07:23 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Nice looking cars.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:18 AM
74 2.8L Capri

I got a little side tracked from the Olds. Had to get the rebuit trans in and the car mobile before I could start on a new project with my 16 year old son. Worked on this for 3-4 months, finished it Christmas eve. Took most of December to paint. Tried the water based paint. A bit of a pain, but not too bad.

1991 Ford Explorer Sport

Back working on the Olds now. Replace front fenders, and do some detail work on the engine bay while I'm at it. Here is the Olds just a few days ago before I take the fenders off. All that duct tape on the headlights? That was my grandmother's idea to cover up some rust. Now there isn't any metal left, not even rust. The duct tape is holding the headlights on. Pretty solid car except for that.

Last edited by DFitz; June 3rd, 2015 at 01:35 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 02:14 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

That is one clean Capri you have, you might have trouble finding one as good in the UK or Germany where they sold in big numbers.
Apart from the bumpers and marker lights it apears to be no different to European spec, I dare say the emissions plumbing under the hood might be very different. Equivalent British Capris had a 3 liter V6, much more low end torque than the Cologne engine, but not so fuel efficient.
Is that the original color?, it was a popular paint scheme for contemporary Fords back in the day.

Roger.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:42 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Yes, original color and original paint. Sometimes it's good to live in California. Not much rust out here. Up till 74, the European and US cars were very much the same. In fact all US Capri's to that point were German built. In 76, I think, the US started building them here. Then in 79' the US moved to the Mustang platform and the marks split apart from the European cars.

Yes, there is a fair bit of emissions stuff. '74 was not too bad, but the 76's that had catalytic converters were much worse.
Old June 4th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Oldsdruid

There were scads of those Capris around here in the 70s, but I haven't seen one in over 30 years. Fun cars.

Looks like you're in wine country?
Old June 4th, 2015, 09:10 PM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by rocketraider
There were scads of those Capris around here in the 70s, but I haven't seen one in over 30 years. Fun cars.

Looks like you're in wine country?

Yup, Napa CA.
Old August 31st, 2015, 10:31 AM
1974 Ford Capri Xse 2.8 V

Capri info

Wow. That Capri is amazing! Mine is also original paint. The Xse model...extra sexy! Can I ask what cam to install. I need more intake for a set of headers. Thanks for any info.

Desmond
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Car Show.JPG (1.78 MB, 15 views)
Old September 1st, 2015, 12:21 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Dez,

Very nice. But seriously. Thread drift ahead.

You have a 74 with metal bumpers? European car? And you are in San Mateo? I grew up in San Mateo and went to Hillsdale HS. Had my Capri in HS!

Never mind. Must be modified. Says Capri on the hood, meaning US car, European had "Ford". And it is a '74 with the vent windows post through the window instead of glued on.

Not many Capri's left, and I haven't seen another one on the road in 5 years.

My parts supplier is Norm in Ohio, Team Blitz. http://www.teamblitz.com
He has just about anything you need, but he's not too fast. 2-3 weeks. New and OEM parts, as well as racing setups, engine parts, and cams.

I got my headers, and cam from him 15 years ago.

Also, PM me. I'm down on the peninsula quite often. I'd love to get together.