The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi all

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Hi all

Hi all, Im new to this fourm. My name is Gustav and Im 20 and live in Emporia Kansas. I only own and drive old oldsmobiles. I just got one done from the machine shop and put it together last week. In a minute Ill put some pics up you guys can see the motor and the big boat it goes in. Also I dont know if this area is ok to ask questions but Ill wait till I put the pic up for my question so I can explain better but heres the pics

Ok hope you guys like the pics. Now my question is about this last pic. I know what it is and all that my question is that mine broke and i know you cant get these anymore. So i just bought a 3 port one. Do i just hook up the vacuum lines like they were before but this time it wont have the soilnoid and vacuum line on top. The wire to the soilnoid goes to the transmission can i just be ok to not plug it into nothing? and also the vacuum that went to the top of this soilnoid can I just plug it off. Thanks for all info on this. Btw this question is refering to the car and pics above, its got the 2BBL carb

Last edited by Gustav455; October 18th, 2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:40 PM

Welcome to the site! Yes it looks like you qualify for the Land Yacht club! It looks like a fun project, but I'm going to have to let someone else who knows answer your question on the vacuum switch. John
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:19 PM
67 heavy metal

welcome to the site looks like you have a nice project going
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Oldsdruid

I'll be honest with you. Unless you're going for a 1000-point restoration, sell that NOS TCS vacuum switch to a W30 owner and use a regular switch without all the transmission controls. That or leave it out completely, put a pipe plug in the well and run full-time ported vacuum to the distributor.

You'll see an improvement in performance and probably get better gas mileage.

You should be OK just leaving the wiring unplugged and secured. All it does is move the solenoid once the trans is in 3rd gear and allow vacuum advance to the distributor. Without it, you'll have vacuum advance in all ranges as it should be.
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. Is that a '73 or '74 Delta? Definitely a big boat. Looks like that photo was taken with the engine out. Gives it that Gasser look.
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

We are getting more and more land yacht members, cool
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome! My sister had a 74 Delta -among other big ones!! Gotta love em!!
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:00 AM

thanks for all the info guys, this is actually a 1971 Oldsmobile Delta 88. Its got a lot of cool features to it for a car this old. Yeah the engine is on that stand right now, im putting it in this week, thats why i asked that question about the vacuum switch. I just found that pic of one, its not mine. Mine broke, so Im just going to run the vacuum lines with this new 3 ported switch i bought at autozone. Will I have with this new switch vacuum advance all the time, if so that would be cool? and about that gasser look, ill take a pic of it when the engine is in and then air up the shocks in the back and that looks cool too
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Welcome to the forum
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Oldsdruid

If the new switch is marked like the original GM piece:

M port connects to manifold vacuum

C port connects to ported vacuum on carb

D port connects to distributor vacuum advance can.

The original TCS vacuum switch had a V port that vented vacuum back to the top rear of the carb, right beside the choke fresh air intake tube. Not needed on this application.

The DTVS (distributor thermal vacuum switch) routes ported vacuum to the distributor until coolant temp gets up around 260 degrees. It then switches to Manifold vacuum to advance timing and help cool the engine.

Unless you do a lot of stop-n-go driving in hot weather, you should be OK running the distributor advance off ported vacuum.

I'm agonizing over trying to save a pristine 73 Delta Holiday Sedan right now. Cat on 73-77olds.com bought it intending to yank its 455 and scrap the rest. The car is just too nice to do that to it. But I need another car like a hole in the head, and it would mean delaying some work on the house and the green Starfire.