The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Help restoring '70 W-30

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2012, 01:58 PM

Help restoring '70 W-30

Hi all:
I am new to the forum and would appreciate any help you can give me. I am the proud owner of a documented "70 W-30 Convertible. This was my dream car when I was in College...and now that I have forgotten everything I learnwed when in College....I finally got the car.

I am trying to make it perfect and have 3 questions:

(1) It has a console and the arm rest console box has those two black metal supports installed but has no liner like the glove box does. What should go in there to make it as original as when it left the factory?

(2) The piece of plastic "chrome" that surrounds the wood grain on the dash has become worn in spots. As you know it is actually two chrome accents separated by a black spacer. What is the best way to restore that...or can new parts be purchased?

(3) My car has a Turbo 400 Hydramatic with a standard console shifter. I see Hurst Dual Gate conversion kits on lime and wonder if it is as simple to change the shifter out as buying the Hurst part, the cable to the transmission and the new console pieces? Or, is there more to it?

Many Thanks for all your help.

Jack Corwin
213-220-1700
jcorwin@hunthold.com
Old June 17th, 2012, 08:56 PM

Welcome to the site Jack! Please post pictures of your car when you can. We've got several members with 1970 W30's on this site.

I'll answer what I can, then others can add to it.

The console should have a plastic insert with kind of a felt coating to it. It's in two pieces that run the length side by side. Fusick.com has it on page 79 of their Cutlass/442 catalog

The dash bead. You can get this reproduction. You can get it for $39 at Fusick's, page 77

There's other companies but I do like the service and product at Fusicks

Changing the standard automatic floor shifter with a dual gate isn't too hard. Check out this thread from another member, he had the setup for sale so you might send him a message.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...est-offer.html

John
Old June 17th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome to C.O. 70 W30 vert is a super nice car. You're right there are more aftermarket parts being produced now.

Originally Posted by 2blu442
The dash bead. You can get this reproduction. You can get it for $39 at Fusick's, page 77
John, the dash bead is a plastic trim that goes across the top of the dash and down both sides by the AC vents. I think what Jack is describing is the lower dash bright reveal. Short of paying astronomical $$$ to get that re-chromed, the best solution is a "Sharpie Chrome Pen".
Old June 17th, 2012, 09:51 PM

Ah, I just re-read it and see what you mean. Yep! Sounds like it's time for the "Chrome Pen"
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:53 PM

Thanks very much.

I will search for a chrome Sharpie. My car has the plastic insert but it doesnt have the felt coating. I guess I will have to spray that in.
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:21 PM

I wouldn't go out of my way to put a dual gate in - just my opinion but that would be one of the last things I'd do ( I have one, never really use it). get the rest of the car up anf going. Is that all it needs is the few items you mentioned, sounds nice, post some pics. Do you have any history on the car?