The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello olds community

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2022, 05:01 PM

Hello olds community

Hi all, guess I'll introduce myself here. Always enjoyed the look of classic cars and ended up getting an 86 cutlass supreme that has lead me to this forum while trying to fix this boat.

Went from being a diamond in the rough for me to a constant project after my only accident, with me wondering if it's worth putting more and more into it.

Suppose I'm attached as it's my first car that wasn't a speed bump away from literally splitting in half but will see. I'm not the best at working on cars but I've done a tiny and hope to learn from here if I can.

Old February 23rd, 2022, 07:23 PM

It looks to be in very nice condition. They were a nice car, however they will probably never be worth much. If you enjoy the car fix it and drive it, it will probably be cheaper than replacing it and you'll be driving something different.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 07:30 PM

Welcome!
Old February 23rd, 2022, 07:40 PM
Oldsdruid

I'm not seeing any real damage. What happened?

The sedans will never be worth as much as a same year coupe but that one looks well taken care of. Do you like the car, and is it mechanically sound and reliable? If so, you'll have something others don't and will have preserved a car that too many people write off as uncool or undesirable. My car mantra is "a nice old car is a nice old car no matter the trim level or bodystyle", but I've always been in the minority with that. But it's also helped me find nice cars that the cool kids overlook.😏
Old February 23rd, 2022, 08:11 PM

So the accident I got turned it into a salvaged title, rear ending a 90's Subaru outback and lifting it off the ground by the front bumper after a car ahead of us made an illegal left turn. The radiator got pushed in and is not bent back and the drivers side panel got pushed out by about 1/2 an inch along with a crack where the bumper mounts now. The front end erupted into fiberglass shards and the current one is a replacement my uncle found after awhile hunting and repainted it to fit. Because of that I can no longer rotate the tires but from everyone ive asked will say that sort of damage can be fixed or at least not to the price I paid for the car.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, it does not look too bad. A salvage title is not going to hurt the value of that car.
Old February 25th, 2022, 02:42 PM

How does replacing the fiberglass parts prevent your wheels from rotating.
Old February 25th, 2022, 02:53 PM

Sorry guess my post got lost, the accident pushed the bumper mount down from holding the other car up off the ground and spreading it out due to the force of me rear-ending the vehicle. That has caused the driver-side quarter panel to now be at an angle by about a half inch or so, grinding the inner wheel housing against that tire so it wears it down differently then the rest of the tires.
Old February 25th, 2022, 03:56 PM

Before you do anything take your car to an alignment shop to make sure the frame hasn't been bent.
Old February 25th, 2022, 04:10 PM

Its been awhile but ill go see, I feel like last time I was told its okay but will see.