The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello New guy with ‘65 Jetstar 88

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2019, 11:22 AM
Welder with big ol’ boat

Hello New guy with ‘65 Jetstar 88

Hello just signed up today because I’m going to need some help and pointers working on this new-to-me 1965 olds Jetstar 88. I am really excited as this is my first classic car that just so happens to be an Oldsmobile 👍 it runs and drives but is in desperate need of some serious tlc hopefully I can restore it to its former glory. The pro’s are many it is pretty much all stock from what I’ve seen so far. Very minimal rust to speak of considering the age, some starting in the trunk and the front lip of the hood. Most of the decals, trim and accessories are intact save a few easily obtained pieces. 330ci rocket paired with the th350 auto trans, please let me know what you all think and thanks for having me.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 11:24 AM

Need more pictures, there was no turbo 350 in 65 you may have the turbo 400 in there.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 11:43 AM

Great cars had a couple of 65's. You will find that most mechanical parts are common to the Cutlass and Jetstar 88 only. The Jetstar 88 is basically a Cutlass mechanically in a big body. You don't see many of these anymore, I had a Dynamic 88 and 98 both good running cars and very reliable.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 12:19 PM
Welder with big ol’ boat

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Need more pictures, there was no turbo 350 in 65 you may have the turbo 400 in there.
You are probably correct sir and thank you I’m learning as I go here lol. I will have some more pics up as soon as I get back to the house.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 12:31 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Welcome aboard! Be interested in knowing your color of your 65. Looks like Almond Beige (Code V V). Let's see some of the interior too!

Last edited by btw; July 3rd, 2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 12:34 PM

Welcome. Cool Olds!
Old July 3rd, 2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Myst69
You are probably correct sir and thank you I’m learning as I go here lol. I will have some more pics up as soon as I get back to the house.
The shift indicator would be P R N D S L for the factory Turbo 400
Old July 3rd, 2019, 12:50 PM
Welder with big ol’ boat

Old July 3rd, 2019, 12:52 PM
Welder with big ol’ boat

The shift indicator would be P R N D S L for the factory Turbo 400
The shift indicator doesn’t show the “S” just “D” then “L”??
Old July 3rd, 2019, 12:53 PM
Welder with big ol’ boat

Originally Posted by btw
Welcome aboard! Be interested in knowing your color of your 65. Looks like Almond Beige (Code V V). Let's see some of the interior too!
Yes I believe the paint is almond beige
Old July 3rd, 2019, 01:01 PM

I believe in 65 the turbo 400 was only available with the 425's??
Old July 3rd, 2019, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
I believe in 65 the turbo 400 was only available with the 425's??
Could be but in 66 it was optional in the Jetstar.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 01:09 PM

The shift indicator doesn’t show the “S” just “D” then “L”??
Looks to be just the 2 speed Jetaway trans which was standard in the 330 Jetstar. Car looks clean enough!
Old July 3rd, 2019, 01:25 PM
Welder with big ol’ boat

Looks to be just the 2 speed Jetaway trans which was standard in the 330 Jetstar. Car looks clean enough!
That’s what I was thinking when I got it at auction, nobody was willing to bid on it so I did and ended up winning 😀 so far I feel it was a worthwhile investment especially since I was able to drive it home 👍
Old July 3rd, 2019, 02:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. The original trans in your car is the two speed Jetaway (aka, Super Turbine 300). There was no TH350 in 1965 and the Jetaway was the only automatic that Olds installed behind the 330 motor in that year. That's why the shifter says P-R-N-D-L. It is popular to replace the Jetaway with at TH350, however without a picture of the trans pan, there is no way to know if that has been done to this car. No, the Jetaway is not a Powerglide, despite having two speeds.

Be aware that your Jetstar uses the small 9.5" drum brakes from the Cutlass line. All other Olds full size cars that year used the 11" drum brakes. Good luck with the car.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 03:24 PM
Welder with big ol’ boat

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Welcome. The original trans in your car is the two speed Jetaway (aka, Super Turbine 300). There was no TH350 in 1965 and the Jetaway was the only automatic that Olds installed behind the 330 motor in that year. That's why the shifter says P-R-N-D-L. It is popular to replace the Jetaway with at TH350, however without a picture of the trans pan, there is no way to know if that has been done to this car. No, the Jetaway is not a Powerglide, despite having two speeds.

Be aware that your Jetstar uses the small 9.5" drum brakes from the Cutlass line. All other Olds full size cars that year used the 11" drum brakes. Good luck with the car.
Thank you for your input on this it’s very helpful. The little bit of research I’ve done on this car has brought up a couple of questions I guess the main one is this bank angle configuration and how it may hinder me in finding replacement parts. 45 and 39 degree bank angles I believe this has the less common of the two but I’m still not quite sure what this could effect?? Any help or pointers are appreciated
Old July 3rd, 2019, 03:47 PM

The only thing your 45 degree cam angle has effect on is the camshaft and they do make those still.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 05:29 PM
Welder with big ol’ boat

The only thing your 45 degree cam angle has effect on is the camshaft and they do make those still.
well this is good news indeed, now I just need to figure out where to start on this project lol
Old July 3rd, 2019, 06:07 PM

Nice car!
Old July 3rd, 2019, 06:26 PM

Nice car!!! Welcome.

Re: which transmission...how many times does it shift when driving? Once = Jetaway, Twice = TH 350, 375 or 400.

Enjoy it and good luck!!!
Old July 3rd, 2019, 06:44 PM
Welder with big ol’ boat

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Nice car!!! Welcome.

Re: which transmission...how many times does it shift when driving? Once = Jetaway, Twice = TH 350, 375 or 400.

Enjoy it and good luck!!!
Just once so far lol haven’t really got on it yet but I have a feeling it’s the original super turbine everything else in this car is original so I’m assuming the trans is as well.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 07:01 PM

During the repaint someone got carried away and painted the hood underside and neglected to remove the underwood light and bulb.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 07:19 PM
Welder with big ol’ boat

During the repaint someone got carried away and painted the hood underside and neglected to remove the underwood light and bulb.
I am well aware lol they also over sprayed bumpers, trim, tires etc. it’s unfortunate but these are all things I will be revisiting in the future to correct
Old July 3rd, 2019, 07:46 PM
Welder with big ol’ boat

Well I hope I don’t get bashed to terribly bad for asking this but someone near me a selling a 1971 ninety eight with a big ol 455 in it for less than scrap value I’m curious what you guys think about getting it for the motor, trans and other misc. parts to drop into the Jetstar. Please let me know if there are any reasons why I should or should not do this, of course I would keep the original motor and trans for the overall collectibility of my vehicle in its original state but I just thought I’d throw this out there. Thanks for any input
Old July 3rd, 2019, 07:48 PM
Welder with big ol’ boat

There’s the ninety eight for sale, sheesh and I thought the Jetstar was massive lol
Old July 4th, 2019, 08:39 PM

IMHO go for the 455 swap. The 88 is a lot of car for a 330 2 bll with a jetaway tranny to move.
Old July 4th, 2019, 09:23 PM
Welder with big ol’ boat

Originally Posted by Cutlass Fan
IMHO go for the 455 swap. The 88 is a lot of car for a 330 2 bll with a jetaway tranny to move.
That's kinda how I felt about it, the 330 moves the car but I think the 455 would give it much more of a "muscle" feel. I guess my question is will the 455 and trans out of the 1971 ninety eight drop in and bolt up or am I going to need to do some modifications?? of course I will be beefing up the drums from the smaller 9.5" to the 11" and that sort of thing but will I need to add any extra support brackets etc?
Old July 5th, 2019, 04:50 AM

That combo is a "drop in" you may need to source a driveshaft due to length issues. I don't see a problem as far as originality and the like with the Jetstar as the 330 and 2 speed if pretty ho hum... You will want to upgrade the cooling with a larger radiator too.
Old July 5th, 2019, 05:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 455 is externally identical to the 425 that was a factory available option in your car in 1965, so it fits, but there are a few nuances to be aware of. You need to use the motor mounts for the car, which are Anchor P/N 2262 and 2263 (these cars use different RH/LH mounts). These mounts bolt to the forward two of the three motor mount bolt holes in each side of the block, not the rear two where the mounts for that 1971 are currently located. You need to use the 1965-1970 exhaust manifolds for the full size cars. The ones from 1971-newer won't clear your chassis crossmember or steering. The correct dual exhaust manifolds for the 65-70 cars are available repro. You will need to source the accessory brackets for the 65-67 full size cars with 425 motor. These use the high-mount PS pump. That 1971 will have a long tail TH400, so that's the correct trans for your car. The 1971 trans has a speedo drive feature that is not used on your 65. You can remove the speedo drive adapter and fit an appropriately sized freeze plug in the hole in the trans case. The trans crossmember will need to move backward to accommodate the TH400, but since that trans was available in your car the holes are already in the frame. The good news is that unlike the A-body cars, the full size did not hang the e-brake cable from the trans crossmember, so moving the crossmember doesn't require changing that cable.
Old July 5th, 2019, 12:11 PM
Welder with big ol’ boat

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The 455 is externally identical to the 425 that was a factory available option in your car in 1965, so it fits, but there are a few nuances to be aware of. You need to use the motor mounts for the car, which are Anchor P/N 2262 and 2263 (these cars use different RH/LH mounts). These mounts bolt to the forward two of the three motor mount bolt holes in each side of the block, not the rear two where the mounts for that 1971 are currently located. You need to use the 1965-1970 exhaust manifolds for the full size cars. The ones from 1971-newer won't clear your chassis crossmember or steering. The correct dual exhaust manifolds for the 65-70 cars are available repro. You will need to source the accessory brackets for the 65-67 full size cars with 425 motor. These use the high-mount PS pump. That 1971 will have a long tail TH400, so that's the correct trans for your car. The 1971 trans has a speedo drive feature that is not used on your 65. You can remove the speedo drive adapter and fit an appropriately sized freeze plug in the hole in the trans case. The trans crossmember will need to move backward to accommodate the TH400, but since that trans was available in your car the holes are already in the frame. The good news is that unlike the A-body cars, the full size did not hang the e-brake cable from the trans crossmember, so moving the crossmember doesn't require changing that cable.
Wow that’s a lot of very valuable information thank you very much 👍 it is much appreciated.
Old July 5th, 2019, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, you'll find that you are not the first to dream up any possible mods to these cars.
Old July 5th, 2019, 02:22 PM

Well I hope I don’t get bashed to terribly bad for asking this but someone near me a selling a 1971 ninety eight with a big ol 455 in it for less than scrap value I’m curious what you guys think about getting it for the motor, trans and other misc. parts to drop into the Jetstar. Please let me know if there are any reasons why I should or should not do this, of course I would keep the original motor and trans for the overall collectibility of my vehicle in its original state but I just thought I’d throw this out there. Thanks for any input
If it were me I would leave the '65 alone and just drive it.I think it's a lot of work for a used engine swap, Even though it's a 455 it's still a low compression motor. Your only going to drive it for fun most of the time (Not like you need it for work on Monday morning)
I would drive the 98 for grins looks like a cool car. Just a thought.
Old July 5th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Welder with big ol’ boat

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
If it were me I would leave the '65 alone and just drive it.I think it's a lot of work for a used engine swap, Even though it's a 455 it's still a low compression motor. Your only going to drive it for fun most of the time (Not like you need it for work on Monday morning)
I would drive the 98 for grins looks like a cool car. Just a thought.
Thank you for your honesty and part of me agrees with you primarily for the sake of keeping the car as original as possible. With that being said is there a way to make the original engine/transmission more responsive and peppy? The only reason I am asking is this is a fairly large old car and it might just be me but the 330 seems somewhat under powered. Of course this may also be due to the engine/transmission needing an overhaul, I haven’t had a lot of time to tinker with it quite yet.
Old October 19th, 2020, 01:59 PM

Bfg mentioned the frame, check it first for rust and then for straightness/square.

That will be a great looking and unique car. You'll probably be the only one in just about every show.

Good luck and consider starting a thread documenting the process.